Question for fitbit users

Options
eena56
eena56 Posts: 1,456 Member
I have been considering getting a fitbit and was wondering what those who use it think ok it. Has it changed your weight loss significantly? What is the biggest advantage of it? Would you recommend it? Is it easy to use? Do you feel it is accurate?

Thanks so much.

Replies

• kdrats64
    kdrats64 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My wife got a FitBit Force! She really likes hers. A lady at work got one for her husband. She finds it very easy to use and wears it everyday.
  • rach503
    rach503 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Zip and LOVE it!!! It adjusts my calories I can eat based on how I active I am. I think it's the single most important decision I made in going on this weight loss journey. It helps me be aware of how much or how little I'm moving. I highly recommend it!!! Totally worth the $50 investment. Feel free to message me if you have questions.
  • linkirving
    linkirving Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have one on the way. It's right for me because one of my short term goals is to get 10,000 steps per day. Seems natural that to do that, I need a pedometer of some kind. The FB Zip seemed perfect for my needs.

It's going to help my weight loss a lot. Right now I'd say I get 2,000 steps per day or less. I will be getting a huge boost in activity, and will be able to keep track of that activity. I like how you can sync it with MFP and it adjusts your calorie goals automatically.
  • bswilson00
    bswilson00 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Forgetting about the technology of the Fitbit, if nothing else it's a constant reminder of your goals. I use the Flex, and it gives you feedback when you reach your daily goals, which are customizable. Being able to track your sleep hours, and the effects excercise has on your daily caloric burn is a great way to make adjustments to your routine.
  • ellejay86
    Options
    I've used a Fitbit One for a few months now and I absolutely love it - so glad I got it. The main advantage is having calories automatically updated on MyFitnessPal based on how active my Fitbit says I've been. It feels more accurate than just estimating activity through MFP and I like being able to see how much walking I need to do if I fancy an extra snack.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I dont think it's helped with weight loss - I lost the vast majority of it prior to having a fitbit. That said, it works well as a reminder to get up off one's @ss and move. I have my One set for hourly alarms through most of the day so I get up from my desk job and get in a quick half-mile-ish brisk walk around my corporate HQ.
  • fboudreau
    Options
    I have the flex. LOVE it! I am shocked at how hard it is to get 10,000 steps per day. I love how it interacts with my phone, sending me messages as to how close I am to 10,000. Can't say I have lost weight because of it but I am definitely more active!
    :smile:
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Flex and I love it. I live and work in the city and it shames me into walking.

When I head towards a subway entrance, I think about how far I am going. If it's just a stop or two and the stops are close to each other, that thing on my wrist makes me feel bad about not walking.

That one change adds up to a lot of steps a day.
  • Nekton
    Nekton Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love mine, and here's why. My days really vary, activity-wise, and my TDEE can range by 1,500 calories depending on whether I spend all day at the office sitting at my desk (booo) or walking all day for work and also going to the gym (yay!). Before getting my Fitbit, my caloric intake was not well-synced to my TDEE, so I was essentially eating a *little* bit too much on my inactive days (and at a pretty good deficit on active days). Now, if I sit at my desk all day, my Fitbit takes away calories so I don't eat too much. If I am active I get those calories credited back to me. I can maintain a consistent deficit for healthy weight loss. I love it.
  • DJManos
    DJManos Posts: 220
    Options
    I use a Flex and couldn't imagine NOT wearing it now. All the reasons already stated above and more....
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit one and love it! Can't say it's helped me lose weight, but it's definitely a reminder to get moving on those days I don't feel like doing anything.

On the days I'm close to my step goal, I will wander around the house, run up down the hall way or jump on the treadmill just to get my goal! :laugh:
  • kerrid72
    kerrid72 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I had the original fit bit and loved it so when the flex came out I upgraded to it. I love the convenience of it on my wrist but now want the force for the little "extras" it has.

It is very easy to use and it helps me to stay on track with the goals that I've set for myself. I have to play little games with myself to stay motivated to be active and this helps so much. I have mine set for the 10,000 steps per day which is difficult for me to reach since I have a desk job. When I reach that daily goal it vibrates and flashes and gives me a little boost on the end of that day.

HIGHLY recommend a fit bit!!!
  • JessicaJonker
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One and I LOVE it! Like others said, it hasn't really helped me lose weight so much as just visually illustrates my activity, which is a great motivator to keep moving. Its great for day to day stuff, running, biking, that kind of thing. My workout of choice is dance cardio, and I compared an HRM (Polar FT7) and the One to see how accurate the calorie burn was for workouts. The One was actually about 100 calories under what my HRM told me I burned. So its not totally accurate, but at least it is underestimating and not over estimating. Hope that helps! If you get one, you won't regret it. :)
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I got my FitBit One in November and have found it very useful. The daily step and stairs goals have helped me to move more. I have it set to sync with MFP only for positive calorie adjustments, I do not have negative adjustments enabled. So if I move a lot during the day, I get some extra calories credited in MFP. It is nice to see that walking up the stairs instead of taking the elevator or parking further away really does make a difference in my calorie burns.

The charts on the FitBit web site showing estimated total calories burned vs calories consumed got me very interested the numbers behind my weight loss. I purchased a Polar FT4 to help get a more accurate picture of the exercise calories burned. It has really helped me to see that the math behind weight loss really does work. A 3500 calorie deficit = 1 pound on the scale.
  • BokBagok
    BokBagok Posts: 345
    Options
    Like the others say, it doesn't necessarily help with the weight loss - it just motivates you to be more active. Having said that though, I would say that in helps you to lose weight indirectly - by motivating you to be more active. Also, I'm not competitive at all, but I have a ton of friends on fitbit and I love watching everyone (including myself) move up and down in the rankings.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Most of the weight I have lost, I lost before I had a fitbit.
    But I love mine. It is the very best motivator I have for moving more. I have had one for 13 months now. When I first got mine, I struggled to get 5 miles per day. As of 3:55 pm CDST, I have a little over 24,000 steps and 11.73 miles for the day (I have a very short stride average is 10,000 steps = 5 miles).
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I am down 72 lbs total and 45 of them are since I got the fitbit One. I think it makes figuring out my calorie burn separate from fitness that much easier. I get to eat more calories and have more consistent weight loss.

Since I am trying to figure out maintenance now, its helping slow the weight loss down because I know (to the best estimation) what I am burning all day long.

I cant imagine going down this road again without the fitbit.
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Fitbit Force is on a nationwide recall for rashes and chemical burns. If you decide to go with Fitbit, I'd recommend avoiding that one until they get the rash issues resolved.

I had a Flex. I started using it Jan 22 and sold it March 10. I agonized over the decision of which band to get. I had a BodyMedia armband that was amazing. It uses body temperature and heart rate to determine the strength of your workout and to determine your sleep patterns. I, personally, because of the way it draws data, feel it is the most reliable, but it's worn on the arm and is noticable as all get out... plus, I had two die in a year. So I sold the replacement they sent me.

I studied the wrist worn bands for a month. I studied the Jawbone Up, Jawbone Up24, Fitbit Flex and the Fitbit Force. Jawbone it seems has a bit of trouble (much like the BodyMedia - breaking and needing replaced frequently). So I decided not to get the Up. I was still considering the Up24 b/c second generation is usually better, right? Up24 was not compatible with any Android phone, so I decided not to get it.

That left the Flex and the Force. I chose the Flex simply b/c I could change the band out - I'm notorious for breaking plastic bands, so I wanted something that could be changed without costing me $130 (Force has an integrated design so if the band breaks, you have to buy a new device).

However, Up and Up24 have an idle alert - if you've been sitting too long, it wakes you up with a buzz so you get moving. Force has a built in clock... I liked and wanted both of these features, and had to do without them on the Flex.

So, the reason I sold my flex so soon? GARMIN! Garmin has a device called the VivoFit. It's the same price as the Force and the Up/Up24 at $130. It has the interchangable bands. It has the idle alert feature. And it has a watch feature. ALL the things I wanted - in one device by a brand I trust without a shred of doubt (as a runner, you get to know Garmin pretty well).

So, I am anxiously awaiting my Garmin VivoFit to arrive in the mail - Monday according to the tracking info.

All things considered, the Flex is a pretty cool device. It got me up and moving more for sure. Did it help with weight loss? Not that I noticed. Neither did the Body Media band I wore... but both made me more conscious of what I was or was not doing, and that's always a plus.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I got the flex two weeks ago. So far, I can't say if it is helped with weight loss (too soon), but my ultra competitive self definitely wants to make sure I get 10,000 steps every day even if it has meant doing small laps around the living room at the end of the day. Like most others have said, it definitely makes me want to be more active.