How much fat is too much?

Options
I am trying to lose that last bit of fat off my lower abs. Since altering my diet and eating more protein/cutting out refined sugars I have seen good results, however, I have a question about fat; specifically, how much is too much?

Today, for example, I have reached 75g of fat. My goal is 50g so I'm quite a bit over. My saturated fat numbers are low though. The only "naughty" thing I've had today is half a Pulsin' raw choc brownie, the rest has come from nuts/avocado/cheese etc. I have not felt like I wanted to binge on cakes today (even walked past my FAVOURITE easter egg without wanting it so much I could cry) but now I've seen my fat level I feel like I've failed a bit.

Will eating this much (I'm normally around 60g, today was a bit extreme) hamper my goal to lower my body fat? I know fat is not the enemy, but am I having too much of a good thing?

Replies

• Via88
    Via88 Posts: 46
    Options
    Wish I could help but I feel that I am in the same boat. I am bumping this because I want to know also!! :) I am trying to loose fat and my goal is also around 50g per day.
  • keithemp
    keithemp Posts: 71
    Options
    Fat doesn’t make you fat. Sugar makes you fat.

Try to eat the good fats, which can actually help you stay healthy.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I think the magic number is 20% of total calories to be from fats. This is only important as you go from lean to very lean.

The big problem with fats is that it is 9 cal per gram when protien/carbs are 4 cal per gram. So it is easier to eat too much fats without feeling full, causing you to over eat or fell like you are starving.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

Neither sugar nor fat make you fat. Excess calories makes you fat. Fin
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

No. Extra calories make you fat.
  • lightmouse
    lightmouse Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I think the magic number is 20% of total calories to be from fats. This is only important as you go from lean to very lean.

The big problem with fats is that it is 9 cal per gram when protien/carbs are 4 cal per gram. So it is easier to eat too much fats without feeling full, causing you to over eat or fell like you are starving.

I find that if I have less fat I can't meet my calorie goal, which is odd. If I were to go down to 20% fat I'd have to cut out some of my favourite things! (a Dragonfly walnut and almond burger mashed with avocado...mmmmm) I guess I will have to decide what I want more :smile:
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options

I find that if I have less fat I can't meet my calorie goal, which is odd. If I were to go down to 20% fat I'd have to cut out some of my favourite things! (a Dragonfly walnut and almond burger mashed with avocado...mmmmm) I guess I will have to decide what I want more :smile:

The only way you're eating too much fat is if you cannot meet your other macronutrient and micronutrient needs within your calorie goal because you are consuming too much calorie-dense fat.

Aside from that, it matters not. eat your walnut and almond burger with mashed avocado - as long as you're still able to meet your protein goal and eat enough other foods to get your micronutrients in :)
  • lightmouse
    Options

The only way you're eating too much fat is if you cannot meet your other macronutrient and micronutrient needs within your calorie goal because you are consuming too much calorie-dense fat.

Aside from that, it matters not. eat your walnut and almond burger with mashed avocado - as long as you're still able to meet your protein goal and eat enough other foods to get your micronutrients in :)

Thank you :flowerforyou: I always hit my protein goal without fail, its the carbs I don't hit...which is funny because when all the exercise I did was distance running I was a complete carb-a-holic, living off bread and pasta. I don't miss pasta at all but I do like a wholemeal English muffin with nut butter hahaha (oh look, nut butter, more fat :laugh: )
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    No idea, but I have, for sometime, had my fat set at 35% and I got down to 12% bodyfat eating that way. I love my avocado, almonds, duck eggs and salmon, which are what get my fat up to those sorts of levels.
  • Via88
    Via88 Posts: 46
    Options
    I actually went and did some research after reading your post and yes what I found was that if you are overweight, it is recommended that you keep your fat intake to 20% - 25% of your overall calorie intake. I personally have a high protein goal and usually end up eating to many carbs and fat. Have to work on that, but great question!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Good answer!
  • lightmouse
    Options
    No idea, but I have, for sometime, had my fat set at 35% and I got down to 12% bodyfat eating that way. I love my avocado, almonds, duck eggs and salmon, which are what get my fat up to those sorts of levels.

THIS makes me smile :happy:
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Yeah agree. Not sure where the person above gets the magic figure of 20% from. Some days my fat calories are up to 40% of intake. I also have a reasonably low body fat percentage (between 14-17% depending on calculation method), so doesn't seem to have hindered me so far. Fat is also super important for satiety. Well at least it is in my experience.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Fat on your abs???? What???? Is this a joke? You look amazing woman!!!!!!!!:drinker: :drinker: :love:
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I would trim out the cheese, and keep the plant fats. If that is not enough, you could lower the amount of plant fats. Fats that you eat absolutely contribute to your body fat. People who eat really low fat, like fruitarians, are some of the skinniest people around. Check out this video from "foodnsport" on youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucHEVNX2c9o
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options

No. Extra calories make you fat.

This.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I would trim out the cheese, and keep the plant fats. If that is not enough, you could lower the amount of plant fats. Fats that you eat absolutely contribute to your body fat. People who eat really low fat, like fruitarians, are some of the skinniest people around. Check out this video from "foodnsport" on youtube.
    I'm beginning to believe your a troll simply because without exception your posts are ridiculously inaccurate. The problem is, innocent people that don't know much about nutrition might take you seriously, stop talking.
  • fitfemlove
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey at the beginning of the year, kind of as a New Year's Resolution. I've lost 40 pounds so far and I feel AMAZING!! Try this system: http://fitfemlove.wordpress.com
  • lightmouse
    Options
    I'm beginning to believe your a troll simply because without exception your posts are ridiculously inaccurate. The problem is, innocent people that don't know much about nutrition might take you seriously, stop talking.

What on earth is a "fruitarian" :laugh:
  • lightmouse
    Options
    Fat on your abs???? What???? Is this a joke? You look amazing woman!!!!!!!!:drinker: :drinker: :love:

Ah thank you :flowerforyou: I've worked really hard but there is a little bit left at the bottom that I would like to shift if I can :smile: