Just Starting Phentermine

Options

Replies

• luvcookies2014
    luvcookies2014 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I had a Drs appointment today and my doctor brought this up with me and gave me a prescription. I have lost close to 30 lbs so far (started trying in Jan 2013) So I'm averaging about 2lbs a month (without any pills/fads, etc).

I was there for something else, and she asked how I was doing with my exercise, she noted I had lost 4 more lbs since my last appt in January.

I was kind of surprised she suggested it, as she tends to be pretty holistic in approach.

I'm not sure if I'm going to try it yet though. I'm worried about side effects, but a little bump in weight loss would be nice, especially as some of the exercise I do is hard because my stomach gets in the way.

She said she does not recommend it for very many people, as giving it to someone who can't successfully lose weight on there own doesn't do any good, but for someone like me who is losing, just very slowly, it can help. It would only be for 2-3 months.

I'm just not sure if I'm willing to take the chance of side effect.
  • g0at1982
    g0at1982 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Phentermine will make you fatter.

I would love to hear more of your experience with gaining weight from phentermine.

Took phentermine for 6 months.. lost 60 pounds.

Got off.. ate the same stuff I ate while I was taking it. Within 3 months the weight plus more was back.

EDIT:

I guess what it all boils down to is this: if you don't change the way you eat... theres no point in taking a magic pill. Temporary effort = Temporary results.
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

Took phentermine for 6 months.. lost 60 pounds.

Got off.. ate the same stuff I ate while I was taking it. Within 3 months the weight plus more was back.

Any more questions?

Oh, this is very similar to my experience! I was the heaviest I have ever been after I regained the weight! I don't know if it's that way for everyone,but I hope not!
  • Kwika
    Kwika Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I agree with the throwing the pills in the trash. These sound a lot like the old Phenphen that several of my friends used and developed heart trouble from. Of course they got to take part in a class action suit but that's not my cup of tea. Too much caffeine gives me the shakes so I'm not sure how these pills would affect me.

I agree with this one. You won't do it by using a quick fix. The first thing I thought of was phenphen. This is NEVER a good thing to do. Yes you have seen a lot of tough love and you will get the same from me. DO NOT TAKE THEM!!!!!!!! There is no quick fix for losing weight. Even that commercial you see on TV about liposine, I tried to find the so called studies they did and I con't find anything. Again this is a quick fix. The only way you will lose the weight is by watching portion control and exercise. You also have to be honest with yourself and not lie. Look at the packaging of foods that you buy. Stay as much on the outside of the aisles in stores as you can. The inside aisles have a lot of added things in them. Yes, I do eat from the aisles but I watch my portions. Losing weight is not easy. I have been trying ever since I was a teen. I was horribly teased in school for my weight and other issues. Everyone is right. Once you stop taking them, you will gain the weight back if you do not change your habits and stop lying to yourself about how much and what you eat. That is what this site is for. Now for the encouragement. You can do this without the drugs. I have faith that you can. I know how hard it is and sometimes when I exercise, I gain weight too. Believe me it's frustrating and I have gone into funks over it. Losing weight is harder than anything you will ever do. You just have to stick with it and log everything that goes into your mouth. Maybe seeing a nutritionist will help you as well if your insurance will cover it or if it doesn't and you have enough money to then I would strongly urge you to do so. When I was pre diabetic, I saw a nutritionist and the nutritionist was basically telling me to eat oatmeal and lettuce. The positive advice I got out of it is where my calorie range should be based on my body needs. That has been the biggest help. Stay with it and find like minded people to spend time with and you will see a difference. Those four pounds could have been muscle gain. If the scale is not your friend then use a tape measure and measure your body. I had a coworker tell me that I looked like I had lost a lot of weight. I haven't but I do find that my clothes fit looser. Hang in there and we are here for you.
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Eat right, lift, do cardio, and you will be just fine... There is no magic pill for weight loss... if you really want it, you'll do it on your own.
  • empera0308
    Options
    I've been on phentermine for about two weeks and started going to the gym, have a trainer 3 days a week for half an hour and also go to the gym 5 days a week for cardio. I started at 193lbs and as of today I'm at 186.
    Phentermine can be tricky, you have to set a calorie goal and know what calorie amount is best for you. After a few days I stopped getting the jitters from the phentermine but did notice if I don't take it I crave carbs BADLY. It definitely suppresses my appetite. I only eat 1000 calories a day and I eat lean proteins, lots of veggies and grains. Phentermine is not a miracle pill, you really have to change your lifestyle.

As of today after 10 days in the gym I have lost 8.25 inches and 10% body fat. This is big! Average body fat percentage can be as low as 1-2% in a month. So I'm doing something right :)

Stay focused, log everything you eat, eat lean and work out! I have never been this motivated to do anything like this and stay focused, I have 8 kids and sometimes just felt it was hopeless. Now that I see the difference I can't stop!!

It will all be worth it!!! Keep good people in your circle who will support you through the journey! Good Luck!!
  • g0at1982
    Options
    I know its like peeing into the wind, but I'll just add one more thing.

I believe strongly that the reason that most people who get off phentermine gaining weight back is due to both the lack of motivation to exercise (which came from.... you guessed it.... THE PILL!) as well as the increased appetite regained once the pill's appetite suppressant effects are no longer there. I was craving the pill too after I got off of it... (withdrawal maybe?)
  • idojpdx
    idojpdx Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! I did the old phen-fen regimen back in the '90s and lost 60 pounds over about 8 months with no longterm ill effects or short term side effects other than a dry mouth and a mild headache for the first couple of days. I kept the weight off for 12 years because the drug gave me the control I needed over those first 8 months to modify both my diet and exercise routine while I made them a habit for--again--12 years. I never felt addicted and I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms when I quit taking it cold turkey, once I reached my goal. I regained weight when I had a baby at age 45 because I became more sedentary again. Plus, at that age my metabolism started working against me. I'm back at it again, with phentermine as my copilot, and feeling great. No more babies in my future, so I'm determined this will be it for me, once I'm back at goal. You have my support.
  • amandanilo
    amandanilo Posts: 62 Member
    Options

I believe strongly that the reason that most people who get off phentermine gaining weight back is due to both the lack of motivation to exercise (which came from.... you guessed it.... THE PILL!) as well as the increased appetite regained once the pill's appetite suppressant effects are no longer there. I was craving the pill too after I got off of it... (withdrawal maybe?)

I read your previous post and then this post and I'm interested in your experience.

I'm just a little confused...you said in the previous post you GAINED when you stopped taking the pill, even though you stayed within your calories and worked out? Then this post says you think people gained the weight back after they stoppped because they lacked the same motivation and didn't exercise, in addition to having an increased appetite.
  • CBC435
    CBC435 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

I read your previous post and then this post and I'm interested in your experience.

I'm just a little confused...you said in the previous post you GAINED when you stopped taking the pill, even though you stayed within your calories and worked out? Then this post says you think people gained the weight back after they stoppped because they lacked the same motivation and didn't exercise, in addition to having an increased appetite.

I was about to ask the same thing. I'm curious to know what you were doing post-phen and what you were eating and doing for workouts? Stomachs do decrease (in size) with time when one is eating less but I don't know and can't say how much I attribute to the pill not wanting to stuff my face because I didn't really do that before I got on the pill. So, my question is, the pill failed YOU or YOU failed the pill? Meaning, once the pill was out of your system you felt out of control and couldn't function the way you did while on the pill OR you instantly went back to old habits?
  • CBC435
    Options
    Just to be clear, Dr.'s would be out of jobs if no one was sick. Dr.'s and Pharmaceutical companies work hand in hand. The medicine cabinets of people today are incredible! One medicine is prescribed that takes another medication to counteract the affect of the first, and on andon. And the sheep never question anything! Modern medicine relies on people being sick, plain and simple.

I would personally never leave responsibility for my health and well being in someone else's hand.

I always question what is given to me in a medical office and do extensive research before and after. I read the good and the bad with phen and made the decision to take it. I also work in a field that deals with medical providers, medication etc daily so I know where to ask questions and not be the "sheep". That is your prerogative to do what works for you and if you don't trust medical providers then that's your choice. No one is criticizing you for that and if you know how to self-diagnose, then more power to you. I just don't think your points are valid if you have never tried the medication yourself.
  • CBC435
    Options
    Good luck to you! I did the old phen-fen regimen back in the '90s and lost 60 pounds over about 8 months with no longterm ill effects or short term side effects other than a dry mouth and a mild headache for the first couple of days. I kept the weight off for 12 years because the drug gave me the control I needed over those first 8 months to modify both my diet and exercise routine while I made them a habit for--again--12 years. I never felt addicted and I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms when I quit taking it cold turkey, once I reached my goal. I regained weight when I had a baby at age 45 because I became more sedentary again. Plus, at that age my metabolism started working against me. I'm back at it again, with phentermine as my copilot, and feeling great. No more babies in my future, so I'm determined this will be it for me, once I'm back at goal. You have my support.

As my docs have put it "Phen Phen" was the bad older brother and "Phentermine" is the good younger sister. Much luck to you!
  • CBC435
    Options
    I've been on phentermine for about two weeks and started going to the gym, have a trainer 3 days a week for half an hour and also go to the gym 5 days a week for cardio. I started at 193lbs and as of today I'm at 186.
    Phentermine can be tricky, you have to set a calorie goal and know what calorie amount is best for you. After a few days I stopped getting the jitters from the phentermine but did notice if I don't take it I crave carbs BADLY. It definitely suppresses my appetite. I only eat 1000 calories a day and I eat lean proteins, lots of veggies and grains. Phentermine is not a miracle pill, you really have to change your lifestyle.

As of today after 10 days in the gym I have lost 8.25 inches and 10% body fat. This is big! Average body fat percentage can be as low as 1-2% in a month. So I'm doing something right :)

Stay focused, log everything you eat, eat lean and work out! I have never been this motivated to do anything like this and stay focused, I have 8 kids and sometimes just felt it was hopeless. Now that I see the difference I can't stop!!

It will all be worth it!!! Keep good people in your circle who will support you through the journey! Good Luck!!

Right on! That is excellent!!
  • CBC435
    Options
    I had a Drs appointment today and my doctor brought this up with me and gave me a prescription. I have lost close to 30 lbs so far (started trying in Jan 2013) So I'm averaging about 2lbs a month (without any pills/fads, etc).

I was there for something else, and she asked how I was doing with my exercise, she noted I had lost 4 more lbs since my last appt in January.

I was kind of surprised she suggested it, as she tends to be pretty holistic in approach.

I'm not sure if I'm going to try it yet though. I'm worried about side effects, but a little bump in weight loss would be nice, especially as some of the exercise I do is hard because my stomach gets in the way.

She said she does not recommend it for very many people, as giving it to someone who can't successfully lose weight on there own doesn't do any good, but for someone like me who is losing, just very slowly, it can help. It would only be for 2-3 months.

I'm just not sure if I'm willing to take the chance of side effect.

It is all about what you want to do with your body. It sounds like you're doing great on your own and most likely, wouldn't need it (in my opinion). But I was given phen due to my drastic low hormone levels and making sure that they will be leveled with some added weight loss. That is the reason for my phen rx and was being tracked with weight for 2 1/2 years. I sound like a broken record but people- weight gain can still happen with clean eating and exercising when something is off in your body! Whether it is a throid issue, hormone, PCOS and on and on. The OP is asking to speak with those who are on it or have been on it so I value the people who share their stories in depth about the weight gain or maintaining the weight post-phen. By just saying "No you will get fatter" doesn't help us understand your reason. I think people aren't truthful about what they did eat and do for exercise post-phen because yes, it gives you energy and curbs your appetite but YOU were the one who chose what went in your body and YOU chose what exercises to do. That's why one-lined statements like those anger me because you are not stating why and how you know.
  • g0at1982
    Options
    No pill = no more energy. Depression type symptoms from wanting the pill and feeling unmotivated. All that furious exercise I was doing while on the pill (super energy) was over. Didnt want to exercise

That is what brought on the weight gain after getting off. Eating the same amount at first.. but over time more and more (stomach expanding?).

It WILL work at first... but then it all blows up when you stop taking it.
  • idojpdx
    idojpdx Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I agree with the throwing the pills in the trash. These sound a lot like the old Phenphen that several of my friends used and developed heart trouble from. Of course they got to take part in a class action suit but that's not my cup of tea. Too much caffeine gives me the shakes so I'm not sure how these pills would affect me.

The class action suit was related to the Fenfluramine (fen) portion of the fen-phen drug combination, NOT phentermine. Fenfluramine was taken off the market in 1997. Phentermine has been in use since 1959.
  • CBC435
    Options
    No pill = no more energy. Depression type symptoms from wanting the pill and feeling unmotivated. All that furious exercise I was doing while on the pill (super energy) was over. Didnt want to exercise

That is what brought on the weight gain after getting off. Eating the same amount at first.. but over time more and more (stomach expanding?).

That all makes sense and understandable. I don't think we are all naive to think this won't happen but it is common after stopping the pill. As I mentioned above, had two friends on phen- one continued with the weight loss post the pill and one didn't and gained it back and then some. It really does vary on person to person but your reasons are completely valid and it makes total sense. And yes, you're right, as you eat more the stomach does expand and it's a vicious cycle. A lot of eating habits and what we are eating is certainly our mental state. Not the action of eating but what our brain says sounds good vs what our body is telling us what it NEEDS. So, a pizza slice sounds good but my body actually needs a protein intake instead but we opt for the pizza because that is what "satisfies" us. I've battled with that mentality for many years OR will say "I deserve this cheat meal because I worked out or I walked a mile". I can already be around junk food and not be tempted to have it and I do not have to eat it. So, I am sorry the pill wasn't a positive experience for you and glad to see you are on a different path for your health.
  • CBC435
    Options

The class action suit was related to the Fenfluramine (fen) portion of the fen-phen drug combination, NOT phentermine. Fenfluramine was taken off the market in 1997. Phentermine has been in use since 1959.

Definitely not the same drug as phen-phen. As I stated before, my doctor said "Phen Phen" was the bad older brother and 'Phentermine" is the good younger sister. They have similar results and potential side effects but they are not the same.
  • g0at1982
    Options

That all makes sense and understandable. I don't think we are all naive to think this won't happen but it is common after stopping the pill. As I mentioned above, had two friends on phen- one continued with the weight loss post the pill and one didn't and gained it back and then some. It really does vary on person to person but your reasons are completely valid and it makes total sense. And yes, you're right, as you eat more the stomach does expand and it's a vicious cycle. A lot of eating habits and what we are eating is certainly our mental state. Not the action of eating but what our brain says sounds good vs what our body is telling us what it NEEDS. So, a pizza slice sounds good but my body actually needs a protein intake instead but we opt for the pizza because that is what "satisfies" us. I've battled with that mentality for many years OR will say "I deserve this cheat meal because I worked out or I walked a mile". I can already be around junk food and not be tempted to have it and I do not have to eat it. So, I am sorry the pill wasn't a positive experience for you and glad to see you are on a different path for your health.

I really like your open-minded way of replying, its really refreshing
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Whoa guys, where can I score some of this stuff? Sounds crazier than that blue stuff I got off some bald guy down the street.

:sad: :sad: :sad: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: