Just Don't Seem To Be Getting It

So I've been eating healthily for the past two weeks. I try to avoid saying that I'm "on a diet" because I want this to be a lifestyle change and I want to maintain this for the rest of my life. All of the technicalities confuse me though. Like the BMR and such. I know what they are, but I find it difficult to incorporate it into my daily life. I use MYP for monitoring my calorie intake, but even then it doesn't feel like I'm doing it right. I'm not sure if anyone can see my diary thing because it doesn't seem to be syncing with my phone application but here's a regular day for me...

Breakfast: 4x Dry Rye Rivita, 1x Apple, 2x Babybells (Favourite thing EVER)

Lunch: Tuna Salad. Cucumber, Lettuce, Onion and 1/2 can of tuna. (I usually make it with a whole tin and just half the salad, put it in the fridge and have the other half the next day)

Dinner: Roast potatoes (made with 1cal spray oil), 2x Free Range Eggs, 1/2 tin Heinz Baked Beans

Snacks: I'll occasionally munch on some Sweetcorn or Fruit N' Fibre.

This will vary a lot and I'd usually include broccoli or brussel sprouts with dinner, but not always.

But anyway, the last week or so I just haven't been loosing anything. It'll bob in between 16 stone 3 and 15 stone 13 and it's so frustrating. Can anyone maybe point out to me what it is that I'm doing wrong? I'm 5'7" and I've heard that because I have more of it, the weight is supposed to be coming off quicker in the beginning stages.

Thanks guys x

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    try making your diary public, if you want more specific advice.

How many calories per day are you eating on average? Do you weigh your food on a digital scale?
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    Are you saying you are eating the same thing every day? Your body would appreciate a change up! Try different types of veggies, proteins etc. It takes time to "get it" so don't be hard on yourself; keep at it and count it a victory each time you learn something new.
  • HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Move more, eat less.
  • AstroNatx
    AstroNatx Posts: 20
    Are you saying you are eating the same thing every day? Your body would appreciate a change up! Try different types of veggies, proteins etc. It takes time to "get it" so don't be hard on yourself; keep at it and count it a victory each time you learn something new.

Haha nooo. Sorry I should have mentioned that I keep my calorie count under 1200. What I showed you was just yesterday. I don't stick to the same thing day in and day out, but maybe I should change it up a bit more. Thanks :)
    Move more, eat less.

That was very inspirational and all, but I'm not sure that's the problem. I'm a waitress so I move around a lot during the day and I also have a big dog who I take on walks 2-3 times a day for at least 20 minutes.
    try making your diary public, if you want more specific advice.

How many calories per day are you eating on average? Do you weigh your food on a digital scale?

I've made it public now but I don't think it's syncing with the MFP app on my phone. I use that to record everything I eat and on the website it's saying something completely different than it is on my phone. I'm new to this so bare with me and I'll get there! I go between 1000-1200 calories a day but I don't really measure anything. If I have say half a tin of beans with something, then MFP will usually have that in their system or on the tin it will give the calories contained in 100g so I'll just work out the difference.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    I go between 1000-1200 calories a day but I don't really measure anything.

Two things:
    (1) You don't know how much for sure you're really eating unless you measure it by weight using a digital scale
    (2) If you really, truly are only eating 1000-1200, you should eat more. What is your height, weight and age?
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    What your simple carbs and eat enough protein for your body. Eating healthy rather than dieting is definitely the way to go. Check out Tosca Reno's clean eating website for ideas.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

Two things:
    (1) You don't know how much for sure you're really eating unless you measure it by weight using a digital scale
    (2) If you really, truly are only eating 1000-1200, you should eat more. What is your height, weight and age?

This!^

1200 is too low for most people. 1200 is a popular number here on MFP because people plug in an aggressive weekly weight loss goal and MFP defaults to the lowest number. 1200 has nothing to do with your size, age, or the total amount of weight you need to lose.

Figure out what is good for your size, your age, etc.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Cath_Taylor
    Cath_Taylor Posts: 104 Member

Two things:

This!^

1200 is too low for most people. 1200 is a popular number here on MFP because people plug in an aggressive weekly weight loss goal and MFP defaults to the lowest number. 1200 has nothing to do with your size, age, or the total amount of weight you need to lose.

Figure out what is good for your size, your age, etc.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I'm your weight and had same problem. You're not eating enough if you're sticking rigidly to 1200 cals. As indicated already - get a food scale & weigh absolutely everything & take the MFP database with a grain of salt! Input the info for your most common foods yourself, that way you know it's accurate.
  • AstroNatx
    Two things:

I just don't want to be one of those people who weigh and measure everything. I'm not aiming to be 100% accurate, but to eat healthily and eat under my BMR. I'm 5'7", 224 pounds and I'm 23.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    You're not supposed to eat under your BMR. That's the number of calories your body needs to pump blood, breathe, etc. It's the number of calories your body would need if you literally did nothing except lie in bed. If you move at all -- get up to go to the bathroom, let alone go to work, walk your dogs, whatever -- you need more calories than your BMR. 1000 - 1200 is way too low.
  • sarahslosingit2014
    sarahslosingit2014 Posts: 13 Member
    Two things:

I just don't want to be one of those people who weigh and measure everything. I'm not aiming to be 100% accurate, but to eat healthily and eat under my BMR. I'm 5'7", 224 pounds and I'm 23.

I am 5'7.5", weigh 219 currently, and I eat 1720/day and have been losing steadily. Plus I usually eat back a lot of my exercise calories. Others are saying the same thing, and I am no expert, but it sounds like you aren't eating enough - assuming your calorie intake estimates are correct. I'd really recommend measuring everything you can, also.
  • AstroNatx
    You're not supposed to eat under your BMR. That's the number of calories your body needs to pump blood, breathe, etc. It's the number of calories your body would need if you literally did nothing except lie in bed. If you move at all -- get up to go to the bathroom, let alone go to work, walk your dogs, whatever -- you need more calories than your BMR. 1000 - 1200 is way too low.

I'm no expert, but I don't think this is technically true? What you burn daily when you're in "coma state" isn't the amount you should necessarily eat because your body gets energy from other places, like fat.

I'll try weighing for a week then, to see if I've been accurate(ish) or not.

Thanks to everyone for their input :)
  • wnlbutterfly
    wnlbutterfly Posts: 35 Member
    Basal Metabolic Rate is the amount of energy expressed in calories that a person needs to keep the body functioning at rest. And just because you have fat storages doesn't mean that is where the body will necessarily get the energy required.
  • AstroNatx
    Yeah but I never said that. I said other places, like fat. I don't think it's necessary to consume the amount of calories that your BMR burns each day though.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Yeah but I never said that. I said other places, like fat. I don't think it's necessary to consume the amount of calories that your BMR burns each day though.

The problem is your body can't get everything it needs from stored fat. Your body will also use existing muscle for fuel. Moderate weight loss + protein + strength training spares existing muscle.

BMR is the very least you should be eating. Look up the term skinny-fat. Losing fat + muscle is a smaller you, not a fit looking you.
  • brandiegirl16
    brandiegirl16 Posts: 372 Member
    Two things:

You need to get the connection down with relationship of the food and yourself. The scale is a guide, it doesn't have to be a lifetime choice, but it will give you a proper indication of repetition to give you the guidance you need in the future to see the difference between 3 oz of meat and 6 oz of meat. There is a learning curve to knowing what works for each individual. I would suggest the scale to give yourself every possible tool to succeed in the beginning. This way you aren't looking back in 2 months with regrets. It is easier to do things right (in accountability) the first time around, then trying to backtrack and redo things. You don't have to sustain 100% accuracy, but you do need to have a good basis for a starting point. I encourage this as a starting point, it truly will make a difference in your overall lifestyle.

hope this was helpful. best of luck!!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member

^^ This. How many people need to agree that eating below your BMR is not healthy? It is not. You need to find out your TDEE and take a 15-20% cut from that. BMR = Base Metabolic Rate which = what your body requires if you are totally at rest, doing nothing at all. I think the success stories here, speak for themselves. I can almost guarantee that none of the big weight losers here spent the duration eating below 1200 calories. It is not necessary. It is not sustainable. And more often than not, it leads to failure.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Yeah, I wouldn't eat below your BMR. For you, and for your goals, I would aim for approximately your BMR, especially if you are not weighing and measuring things obsessively (which I agree can be a bit mentally unhealthy, for most people). That way you're probably getting a little more than what you log, but you know that you're eating enough to fuel your body because what you HAVE logged will keep your organs running.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member

Two things:

Yes.

And I'd add that it's only been 2 weeks. Patience.