LOST TOO MUCH WEIGHT IN MY FACE

Options
HI EVERYONE,
I'm 6 lbs away from my goal and people are saying I should of stopped long ago. They say as well as my boyfriend of 4 years, my face is not full anymore and is sunk in below my cheeks. I agree. I can't even take a decent photo because I look like a sick chick. Feel great though. I'd like to loose that 6 lbs. but fear it will take more off my face. I tried experimenting with makeup. No funds for botox! Any other ideas???? I'm doing 1200 calories/day. CUSTOM: Carbs 55% (165g), Fat 20% (27g) and Protein 25% (75g)

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Well, you have no photos so I cannot comment on your face myself. Are you at a healthy weight? Closer to the low end of healthy? If so I'd say you're probably at a good stopping point. I hear many people state that their friends/family tell them they look sunken in or emaciated after losing weight. You have to ask yourself if you truly look this way or is it just such a change from the pudgy (not sure if you were) face you used to have. Also, circles under the eyes can add to the effect. Maybe more rest or an undereye cream can help if this is an issue. Are you staying hydrated? Dehydration can add to the sunken in effect as well. All this you probably knew already though. :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Change your goal to lose 0.5 lbs/week, this will give you more calories and slower weightloss and that may help.
  • piexcore
    piexcore Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Maintain for awhile and maybe your weight will redistribute? Then lose your last six pounds. Though...I don't mean to be rude, but how much do you weigh now? Check your BMI and see if your underweight before you move forward. But don't stop trying to achieve your goals just because of other peoples opinions. Make sure its what you want.
  • claribeln02
    Options
    Did you lift weights while loosing the weight? That usually helps to tighten all the skin. That's how I've been doing it and my face has gotten smaller but not sunken. Try it.
  • meldan111
    meldan111 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    To answer everyone, I just entered the "healthy range" Left obese range 4 lbs. ago. No I did not lift weights. I weigh 147.9. I started at 194, mid July, 2010.. Went from a tight 18 to a loose 9. The photo is last years xmas. I tried to post my new photo also with my sunken face but it wouldn't let me do more than one.
  • meldan111
    Options
    I'm sorry, both photos are there. You just have to click on to enlarge.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Just found this interesting read on the topic.....
    http://www.tomvenuto.com/asktom/lose_fat_in_face.shtml

But, here's a hightlight of it:

To minimize this gaunt look in an extremely lean body, keep your fluid intake high and keep your carb intake adequate (low carb diets have a diuretic effect). Also, keep plenty of essential fats in your diet, as one symptom of fatty acid deficiency is dry, older looking skin (many people eat fatty fish like salmon or supplement with fish oil for this reason). Be sure to avoid overtraining, prolonged periods of very low calorie/low carb dieting, sleep deprivation and overall life stress, because these factors will probably add to the "tired" look in the face.

Also keep in mind that if you're using a low carb diet to get lean, that can have a dehydrating effect. When you reach your target body fat percentage you WILL be able to add carbs back in and raise your calories back up to maintenance - and as long as you stay balanced at maintenance level caloric intake - you will be able to STAY lean with more calories and more carbs without looking so drawn.

Some people's dilemma is that they think they look too lean in the face, but they still want to get leaner in the belly. I guess it's a similar conundrum as when women want to get leaner in the hips, thighs or abs, but they don't want to lose their breasts! (women lose fat from the chest area with body fat loss).

So you see there's a lot you can do to avoid a "haggard" look. But...to some degree, lean body = lean face (or smaller boobs!), and the leaner your body, the leaner your face. You simply have to find a happy medium, keep health in mind above all else, avoid crash diets, live a healthy lifestyle and accept only the CON-structive criticism, because in our quest to get "ripped abs," our self image can sometimes get a bit distorted.
  • claribeln02
    Options
    Just found this interesting read on the topic.....
    http://www.tomvenuto.com/asktom/lose_fat_in_face.shtml

But, here's a hightlight of it:

To minimize this gaunt look in an extremely lean body, keep your fluid intake high and keep your carb intake adequate (low carb diets have a diuretic effect). Also, keep plenty of essential fats in your diet, as one symptom of fatty acid deficiency is dry, older looking skin (many people eat fatty fish like salmon or supplement with fish oil for this reason). Be sure to avoid overtraining, prolonged periods of very low calorie/low carb dieting, sleep deprivation and overall life stress, because these factors will probably add to the "tired" look in the face.

Also keep in mind that if you're using a low carb diet to get lean, that can have a dehydrating effect. When you reach your target body fat percentage you WILL be able to add carbs back in and raise your calories back up to maintenance - and as long as you stay balanced at maintenance level caloric intake - you will be able to STAY lean with more calories and more carbs without looking so drawn.

Some people's dilemma is that they think they look too lean in the face, but they still want to get leaner in the belly. I guess it's a similar conundrum as when women want to get leaner in the hips, thighs or abs, but they don't want to lose their breasts! (women lose fat from the chest area with body fat loss).

So you see there's a lot you can do to avoid a "haggard" look. But...to some degree, lean body = lean face (or smaller boobs!), and the leaner your body, the leaner your face. You simply have to find a happy medium, keep health in mind above all else, avoid crash diets, live a healthy lifestyle and accept only the CON-structive criticism, because in our quest to get "ripped abs," our self image can sometimes get a bit distorted.

Great info.
  • LoserCruiser
    Options
    I haven't looked at your pictures yet but I have noticed with several before and after pictures on here of other people that same thing, that their faces were really sunken and it really aged them too! Most people look a lot younger after they lose a bunch of weight, but I notice when the face sinks like that it makes them look older not younger. I hope you figure it out!
  • meldan111
    Options
    Jamie,
    Thank you for taking the time to do that wonderful research. I really appreciate the insight. I will try to adhere to your suggestions. Ive never gotten 8 hours of sleep. I've always functioned on 5-6 hrs. (no alarm clock used - just biological clock) After looking at my percentages above, is there any adjustments I should be making? Want you to know that other than the fat content of my lean meats, etc., I don't have any added fats such as oils, butters, but I do use cooking sprays in place of ones mentioned. Upon looking at my before and after photos, you can clearly see the sunken face. I didn't notice the difference until it was pointed out to me.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I haven't looked at your pictures yet but I have noticed with several before and after pictures on here of other people that same thing, that their faces were really sunken and it really aged them too! Most people look a lot younger after they lose a bunch of weight, but I notice when the face sinks like that it makes them look older not younger. I hope you figure it out!

I have noticed this too. One thing to think about (although it is not fun/desirable to) is that fat pushes out wrinkles, making "older" individuals look younger. Once the weight is dropped from the face the wrinkles become much more apparent, thus making one look older.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately that’s pretty much inevitable when you lose weight especially significant amounts at your age (62).

Many people who get healthy in their 50-60's ironically often look sick when they are done the weight loss due to their skin most notably their face being droopier.

Sorry to be so frank but at least now with your weight loss you’re much more likely to live to your life expectancy and not die prematurely of weight-related illnesses/diseases.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Probably heard this already. Are you getting enough rest? Are you drinking enough water? Do you do any Omega-3's.....Fish oil type of pills? I noticed the same with my face. My skin got to looking like old parchment. Maybe some type of face cream. I use Oil of Olay Line for "older" skin. Has helped me out.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Jamie,
    Thank you for taking the time to do that wonderful research. I really appreciate the insight. I will try to adhere to your suggestions. Ive never gotten 8 hours of sleep. I've always functioned on 5-6 hrs. (no alarm clock used - just biological clock) After looking at my percentages above, is there any adjustments I should be making? Want you to know that other than the fat content of my lean meats, etc., I don't have any added fats such as oils, butters, but I do use cooking sprays in place of ones mentioned. Upon looking at my before and after photos, you can clearly see the sunken face. I didn't notice the difference until it was pointed out to me.

That may be part of the problem. Your fat intake is probably too low. Fat is not the enemy!!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yes, agree with Grokette & Mem50! And the article does state:
    "Also, keep plenty of essential fats in your diet, as one symptom of fatty acid deficiency is dry, older looking skin (many people eat fatty fish like salmon or supplement with fish oil for this reason)."

Your fat percentage is set to 20%... that COULD be fine IF you are getting some essential fat sources. If not, you should try taking a fish oil supplement or cod liver oil, etc. You can also try dropping the carbs down 5% and adding that 5% to your fats. I wouldn't lower protein though.

Edit to add:
    You may also consider bumping up your calories a little bit. The article also mentions that prolonged periods of very low calorie dieting can contribute. 1200 is pretty low; especially if you are at all active. Try adding 50 - 100 calories to your day and see what happens.