Low income-- healthy food? Limited selection.

Options
I live in a rural area. The nearest store is a Rowes IGA, and they don't exactly...sell the best fruit and vegetables.
The "fresh" ones are always half rotted when I get to them. I don't trust the source to begin with,anyhow.

My question is; does anyone know of any healthy boxed/packaged foods?
Things that are cheap and won't slowly kill me.
They sell ONLY their brand of meat,which is packaged with vague text..
I like knowing my meat isn't pumped with hormones. So I don't buy it..

I need something I can stock up on,that's filling,and won't cost too much.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Buy frozen fruits and vegetables - most of it is frozen almost immediately after it is picked, so it retains freshness. Plain frozen vegetables without added spices or sauces are a great option and they're inexpensive, too.

Frozen meats are fine as well if you're concerned about freshness.

As far as hormones and whatnot go, I don't know the laws where you live but if they are allowed in meat for human consumption and you wish to avoid them, you have to read labels, simple as that, and "free-from" options are often more expensive. However, something like wild-caught frozen fish might be an inexpensive idea.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Rice
    Beans
    Pasta
    Sauce
    Frozen veggies
    Frozen fruit
    Yogurt
    String cheese
    Tortillas

You can do a lot with those ingredients and they are pretty affordable.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Are there any farmers markets around you? I know in MA at least you can use your SNAP benefits there.
    Otherwise, frozen fruits and vegetable are usually just as good as fresh. I haven't had luck with frozen zucchini, but every other vegetable has turned out excellent. I got some grilled asparagus from Trader joes that you only have to microwave for two minutes - score.

Also, rice, beans, oatmeal, barley, quinoa, oats, are all packaged and good for you. Canned chicken/tuna (packed in water, not oil). You can make a bunch of soup (using the frozen veggies) and add egg noodles. There are a lot of cheap healthy options. Ooh another cheap meal is tuna salad, with frozen peas and egg noodles. I would mix in some plain greek yogurt instead of cheese or sour cream.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I second the frozen meats, veggies and fruits. Are there any local weekend farmers markets or flea markets. If so they tend to be reasonably priced and fresh.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    There is a really awesome charity group called Angel Foods that helps distribute healthy meals for low income families. It's really awesome.
  • FMUP
    FMUP Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about growing your own? You can grow lots of veggies in containers - greens, salad greens, green beans, peas, squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, cabbage, etc.... Good luck!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Buy frozen fruits and vegetables - most of it is frozen almost immediately after it is picked, so it retains freshness. Plain frozen vegetables without added spices or sauces are a great option and they're inexpensive, too.
    This was my first thought too.
  • nurssassy
    nurssassy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about growing your own? You can grow lots of veggies in containers - greens, salad greens, green beans, peas, squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, cabbage, etc.... Good luck!

I agree. We started doing this several years ago and although our first year it just seemed like a lot of work we wouldn't go back being dependent on a store for our produce. Once you get good at it you can then trade what you grow for the items you need. For example last summer we traded honey dew melons and cucumbers for raw honey and eggs.
    You become food independent, it's rewarding, you get fresh air and exercise, and you know where you food came from. :smile:
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options

I agree. We started doing this several years ago and although our first year it just seemed like a lot of work we wouldn't go back being dependent on a store for our produce. Once you get good at it you can then trade what you grow for the items you need. For example last summer we traded honey dew melons and cucumbers for raw honey and eggs.
    You become food independent, it's rewarding, you get fresh air and exercise, and you know where you food came from. :smile:

Ive thought of this but I live in an area that has brutal winters 7 mo out of the year, ive tried canning but holy expensive batman, once you get all the supplies needed that is..
  • diminuire
    diminuire Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions,guys! This will really help out.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    If you have room to plant a garden, you can get amazing quality produce for low cost.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    GARDEN! I live in the suburbs with limited sunlight in my backyard, but I've still been able to grow lettuce, spinach, corn, peas, green beans, cantaloupe, broccoli, carrots, bell peppers, and all kinds of herbs. We've got 2 blueberry bushes, but they don't produce enough to satisfy our appetites in the summer. It's fun to go outside and gather dinner. You'll have to do some work protecting your food from pests and varmints, or you can get someone else to do that stuff (like a spouse or household teenager).

We also keep chickens. I buy a 50 pound bag of feed every 6 weeks or so, and my 4 girls lay 1-2 dozen eggs per week. When I clean out the coop, the poo goes in the compost pile, nourishing next season's crops. If I had rural property, I wouldn't even buy feed. I'd let them graze and keep a rooster to protect them from predators.

Make friends who garden, and learn what your neighbors are growing. This is good sense even if you choose not to grow your own veggies. Country neighbors often can't wait to unload grocery bags full of squash or tomatoes when they're in season. Offer to help pull weeds or something and you'll definitely get some veggies out of the deal.

This may not be helpful if you're not the outdoorsy or DIY type, also gardening and chicken keeping require some investment of time and money. But if you're into dirt and bugs and plants, this is a great way to get cheap food.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I just saw where you have long winters. I agree canning and preserving can be a pain. But hey -- now is the season to plant that garden. Unless you're in the Southern Hemisphere, you can probably start some carrots and broccoli outside now... :flowerforyou:
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Rice
    Beans
    Pasta
    Sauce
    Frozen veggies
    Frozen fruit
    Yogurt
    String cheese
    Tortillas

You can do a lot with those ingredients and they are pretty affordable.

College student meal plan pretty much (minus string cheese [I get a huge block for $6 and it lasts a while] and minus tortillas)
  • Danielle__S
    Danielle__S Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    In the US, hormones are not allowed in raising or finishing poultry or pork. Beef is a different story.
    I'm going to second someone else's suggestion to buy frozen fruit and veg; they retain many more nutrients than their canned counterpart.
    Lastly, I'm going to advise that you plan. I live in the boonies and have a very limited option of where to shop, and as a full time student, I've been budgeting $150/month on groceries for me and my 3 kids. We don't eat prepackaged foods and I make nearly everything from scratch two days a month (it's a hectic two days, but I don't have to cook the rest of the month). There are some really great planning tips here: http://moneysavingmom.com/series/31-days-to-a-better-grocery-budget, as well as free .pdf files to menu plan, how to use coupons wisely, and how to keep track of sales trends on the things you do buy.
  • Danielle__S
    Danielle__S Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I also make my own oatmeal mixes for me and the kids, and if you make them all at once, it'll cost about $25... but you'll have a couple months of oatmeal if you have 4 people that eat it nearly every morning. Some of the ingredients are specialty items that I do save up for (namely, freeze-dried apples and PB2 powdered peanut butter). Here's the link to the recipes: http://1868pleasant.blogspot.com/2013/12/mama-was-rolling-oat-collection-of.html
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Also, eat less meat! Being a vegetarian doesn't mean you're a nut job anymore..even fast food places now have vegetarian options.

Beans with a whole grain (brown rice, e.g.) is a great way to get fiber and protein.

I order organic canned beans via Amazon Subscribe and Save so you don't have to be concerned about hauling cans of beans.