I want to understand why I do this

Options
I have been trying to loose weight for over 10 years now, and it getting harder and harder as I am getting older. I have all the right things - I love to workout, I run marathon, do lot of hiking, do weight training, go to gym. I have all that nailed down. But I also eat, I eat all the time as if there is no tomorrow. I really don't know what is going through my head when I am eating a full bar of chocolate or a big piece of cake. I want to understand why I do this. I am not an idiot, I am actually quite intelligent, and I can understand that eating a bar of chocolate a day or cakes and cookies everyday means that I will stay obese and probably gain more weight. But I still do it. Every morning I get up and think today I will eat healthy, and every day for last 10 years by end of day I have eaten bars of chocolates, ice-cream, cakes and cookies, you name it. I want to know why? Why I do this? And how do I stop! I have looked at many diets, and never stuck to any of them for even a single day.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    because you are looking at this like a diet and think one bad step ruins it all....

It doesn't.

Set a reasonable goal for weekly weight loss...like 1lb a week that will give you enough calories.

Do not eliminate food that you love/crave...that leads to binges.

Make room for treats everyday if you want to...either by exercise added calories or by choose lower calorie options like skim milk vs whole.

Weigh your food with a kitchen scale...log it all...

Log your exercise and eat back 50-75% of those calories.

I've been trying to lose this weight of mine for 20 years...that is how old my son is...I have yo yo'd that entire time thinking like you.

I did the soup diet...I have done just exercise (cardio), I started lifting and let a boy friend get in the way, I lost the same 30lbs 3x in the past following an eating plan

Finally it clicked...eat at a deficet, eat enough protien to feel fuller longer, don't deprive myself, I found out I don't have to do cardio at all ...which is good cause I hate it...I have been lifting for 6months.

And I can tell you this...I have been at it for over a year...the longest time I have ever put in...6months lifting and I am not looking back. I have found the secret...thanks to some clever folks here and my ability to take advice.

PS I am eating chocolate eggs as we speak and I just has bolganaise pasta for supper...
  • TinaGlorioso
    Options
    I totally understand what you're going through because it sounds like me. I however, have now stopped the daily chocolate binges, etc. I heard this...eat right 80% of the time and then eat what you want 20% of the time. You know what made me stop eatting all the fat? My gallbladder couldn't deal with it anymore and I would get horrible stomach pains which meant eventually I got it out. Now on top of that my tooth had to be pulled because it was rotting under the crown and guess what causes bad teeth...sugar! It's going to cost me at least $2,500 for an implant now and believe me those aren't fun!! So you can wait till the you know what hits the fan or you can get motivated to take care of yourself now. Maybe you forgot how good you'll feel emotionally and physically when you're more in shape from eatting an actual healthy diet. The more you eat carbs the more you crave them - that's for sure. Once you only indulge at certain special times, it will be easier for you to stay on a diet that's good for you. Good luck. Tina
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Because you're hungry
  • 1skinnysouthernchick
    1skinnysouthernchick Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think denial of these treats only makes us want them even more. Plus it leads to an over indulgent binge. My answer for myself, has been to find these treats in lower calorie items. For example, when I want chocolate, I eat a Hershey kiss. It's around 11 calories for one. I also check out Weight Watcher desserts too. Sometimes I can say no, sometimes I can't. You just have to make it bearable and also, work in your favor.
  • hiker583
    hiker583 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replies so far.
    -- No, I am not hungry. I eat proper meals, and make sure that it has fruits and vegetables.
    -- No, its not because I let go after one mistake. I stopped doing that, and these days even after eating half-a-bar, I tell myself. Its ok, I will make up for it, but then after another 30minutes, I am reaching for the other half.

This is literally like an addiction. If I don't eat, I feel actual pain, stress, like I cannot function. So then I have to go and eat.
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Then it's a habit for you to eat. You have taught yourself that when you "feel" these pains you "reward" yourself with food. How about the next time you feel that urge, you chug a bottle of water - wait 20 mins and if after 20 mins you are still hungry, then you eat. But eat FOOD - not junk.

If the junk is in your house - you WILL eat it. TRUST ME. I absolutely cannot have Golden Oreos in my house. I have no problem eating the entire bag.....I can't buy them anymore.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    It is a lot of work losing weight! I tell myself I want to wear those clothes and I want to be good to myself and eat healthy and quit these destructive bad habits. I chew gum at night or eat celery. You really have to be willing to do the work, it is easier to just eat. I also tell myself I can have such and such food tomorrow, I don't have to have it tonight if all my calories are gone.
    I think I also was addicted to food, now it seems I am addicted to exercise and this website but love reading everyone's success stories. Like others have mentioned don't have the stuff around. If I want a piece of cake I buy one piece. Like I said you got to be willing to do the work and then it does get easier. Be good to yourself, make yourself a priority. I use to be the fattest at the gym, not now since I take care of myself. You can do it, I love to eat but it Is like we are being mean to ourselves fattening ourselves up like that.

I am an emotional eater also, my dear hubby doesn't eat a thing if something bothers him. Someone said don't stuff your face, face your stuff!
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Why do you eat it? Because it's there.
    How can you stop? Don't buy or bake it in the first place.
    Are there other ways to stop? Sure. But the easiest way is just not to start.
    Inertia is your friend. :smile:
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You sound like me. I was always very active in my childhood, adolescence and young adulthood. I was able to eat whatever I wanted for a long time and the weight would stay off as long as I exercised. Now that I'm in my thirties, it doesn't work like that anymore and I've packed on the pounds from all my overeating. I can't even exercise it off anymore without also drastically changing my diet and my relationship with food. Which is really sad for me because I love sweets and could easily put away a pint of ice cream in one sitting! I've found that limiting sweets and treats to the weekends helps me want them less in general. And when the weekend rolls around, I don't eat them as much anyway because they interfere with the quality of my sleep. And I try to drink a nice flavored tea at night, like Sleepytime Vanilla, which has some sweetness. I'm used to eating dessert at night, so if I drink tea instead, I'm still kind of having something of a treat at that time, but it's way better for me.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    First congrats on getting the exercise in place. That is my rough patch. As for sweets it really sounds like a serious addiction. You may want to see someone about it or treat it almost like an alcohol addiction and completely eliminate for a while. Good luck.