I'm being told by people that I'm starving myself on this 12

Options

Replies

• SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 cals (as set by MFP). On days I exercise I try to leave at least 300 cals uneaten which generally puts me at 1400 cals, otherwise I eat between 1100 - 1300 on non-exercise days. I've been losing weight quite successfully with this and have noticed that if I let myself slip and overeat by 300+ cals I either plateau or gain. I try to eat as much low GI food as possible and also try to go for less processed options, which I find stops me from feeling hungry between meals.
    [/quote]

Thank you for the advice. That makes sense to me now. I'd hate to gain weight after sticking to the 1200 plan, lol but now I'm starting to see how this works.
  • saj9291113
    Options
    Caffeine was my drug of choice. I would walk into work every other day with a 6 pack of 20 oz diet pepsi (it's diet right?!). At that was just work. Instead of drinking water or juice or something like that I would just grab a pop(soda for you non-Chicagoans). I would also stay up way to late with it(usually getting 3-4 hours a sleep a night) Which of course would make me run to the coffee pot as well. More sugar, more caffeine in a vicious cycle.
    Caffeine is also a diuretic which makes one use the washroom more to flush out the liquids which would cause me to drink more. So now I have my water bottles, fill it with ice cold water. Slam down about 12-15 liquid oz's a day, especially when I am hungry in my 3 hour tour(sing it!)
  • xfitness
    xfitness Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    http://teambeachbody.com/about/newsletters/-/nli/196#80867624

Read this post by P90X experts. Saying that we may not be eating enough and jeopardizing our metabolism's process.
  • saj9291113
    Options
    You're eating nutrient dense foods, it's not like you're eating 1,200 calories of ice cream or something.

Wait... what? are you serious.....

You are such a buzz kill. Wait till my best friends Ben and Jerry and my German friend Haagen Daz here about this.
  • Bzbear2
    Bzbear2 Posts: 109
    Options
    hehe

but seriously - if you are on the 1200 calorie plan (what did you set your weekly weight loss to? cause that is very low) you should be careful to eat back your exercise calories, or you will most likely plateau. If you were on a slightly more forgiving plan - say 1 pound a week (which might put you at 1300 calories a day or so) then you would have a little leeway - you could leave about 100 exercise calories uneaten.

Just follow your numbers, and try to hit 1200 with your net calories!! (that means AFTER exercise!!)
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    This is a topic of endless debate here. It's a matter of personal preference. I'll say this though, I've been at 1500 calories a day for quite a while now, and I don't make it a habit to eat back my exercise calories ... and I exercise a lot!

If I feel like eating some back, I'll do so ... but not out of any sense of obligation.

You have to do what's right for you. This is what's working for me.
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Doesn't MFP have a defict of 500 calories before you even start everyday?
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm a nutritionist. This is a professional and accurate site.
  • Kerilovestherain
    Options
    I've been eating much healthier and exercising more since MFP. I thought I was eating healthy before but my portions were crazy!
    Maybe if you explain to your friends that the more you exercise the more calories you get for the day, under 1200 calories is not recommended, they'd feel better about it.

Sorry you're facing discouraging friends, they might just need more details or to check it out for themselves.

Agreed. Don't worry, there's nothing wrong with you...you're doing great!
  • my2loves04and06
    Options
    I weigh 195lbs and am 5' 10 and a half. I always was 155lbs until I turned 29. I'm 34 now and have lost and gained over the years on different diets. My main concern is gaining weight by sticking to 1200 calories and exercising...

I'm the same height, but a few lbs heavier than you and MFP has my daily cal goal set at 1330/day (2 lb loss/wk). Even without exercise I've been losing steadily when I stick to my cal goal. I have crazy friends so I don't tell them what my cal goal is for fear that they'll start in on me, LOL!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I'm gettin frusterated because almost everyone I've told about this site and being on a 1200 calorie diet with exercise says I'm starving myself. One friend actually told me that I have a eating disorder. What the heck? I think this diet is ligit. What's your thoughts. Anyone dealing with the same riducule? I have 30-40 pounds to lose by the way...

Ignore them and continue.

I was on 1200 calories per day for months and did exercise too, I am fine, I presume you are too.

The ones that are harrassing you about the amount of calories probably stuff their face all day and you are making them feel inadequate - their problem, not yours. Don't let them sway you from your own goals or focus.

A 1200 calories per day diet is completely legitimate and safe.

Tell that friend that said you have an eating disorder to take a hike because they aren't helping you at all.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    The site is legit. It's the only diet plan that has gotten me below 250 and kept me there for over 2 months so far. I'm still working on dropping further, but I've plateaued due to not following as strictly the last few weeks. People don't realize what 1200 calories of healthy food looks like. I don't know about you, but there are some days that I struggle to get that much in if I skip out on the McD's and the pop.

Overall you have to do what is right for you. I was doing 1300 calories (2 lbs a week loss for a while) and have upped it to get back on track. I highly recommend for anyone with PCOS trying to lose weight to ask your doctor about medication (not diet pills). Metformin has been the difference most days between success and not. Since PCOS is linked to metabolic disorders, it's critical to get the medication to stop yourself from getting frustrated otherwise it's like trying to walk up a hill pushing a large rock...the medication will at least put the rock on wheels for you.....
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    You're body will start to go into starvation mode if you keep it up. Kinda bas ackwards but you will start to gain weight, lose will power and back peddle in your plan if you keep that up. 1200, if you eat 6 meals a day is 200 calories a meal. Yes it looks great on the scale the first week, but then it slows so you try to even cut more out, but see no difference on the scale again. So you push yourself at the gym to work harder, without the energy and BAM. HELLO WALL.

Why would she need to eat six meals per day??

Some people like to do that, personally, I stuck with just the three and it was fine.

200 calories for brekkie (omelette or scrambled egg on toast)
    350 calories for lunch (usually tuna or cheese sandwich)
    the remainder calories for dinner

End of.

Personally, I would never go with eating six meals per day as I would not want to continue like that forever, whereas three meals per day, will be fine for the rest of my life.

And no, my metabolism never did slow down on just the three meals either and I never went into any starvation mode either.
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    If "you" think what you are doing could be "unhealthy" for "you," then make an appointment with your healthcare professional. If you think your plan is okay and you feel okay, then simply ignore your friends comments. I have found that I have 2 types of people in my life. Those that are genuinely concerned about my well being and those who don't want "me" to be successful because it might mean they too could change their lives and become healthier people and they aren't ready for that. So reassure the ones. who truly are concerned and ignore the rest. I think this website is awesome and my medical professional supports my plan. I never eat my exercise calories and consistently consume less than 1200 calories. I don't recommend that for everyone but if you have the supervision of a Dr, and he/she says it is okay, then go with what is recommended.

Vickie
  • love2sign
    Options
    Your absolutely not starving. I went on a regular weight loss program...Jenny Craig...and they put you on 1200 calories also.
    That's the norm for females who are dieting and their the professionals =)
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You're eating nutrient dense foods, it's not like you're eating 1,200 calories of ice cream or something.

This is the thing. Since I've been on here I've eaten better than my 'double or triple the calorie' eating habits. And doubled or tripled my exercise. It was really needed, even if not for the weight loss need. The calorie restriction varies with the exercise, and without the restriction I don't loose. I only loose a pound a week or less, anyway, trying (peri-menapausal excuse). Slow, healthy, and steady as opposed to not loosing or yo-yoing on an unhealthy diet without steady activity. Most likely they won't get it. Don't let that stop you reach for a healthy goal.

So what's going to happen is eventually they will come to you for advice when you reach a sustainable healthy weight and fitness level and know how to keep it there!
  • saj9291113
    Options
    You're body will start to go into starvation mode if you keep it up. Kinda bas ackwards but you will start to gain weight, lose will power and back peddle in your plan if you keep that up. 1200, if you eat 6 meals a day is 200 calories a meal. Yes it looks great on the scale the first week, but then it slows so you try to even cut more out, but see no difference on the scale again. So you push yourself at the gym to work harder, without the energy and BAM. HELLO WALL.

Why would she need to eat six meals per day??

Some people like to do that, personally, I stuck with just the three and it was fine.

200 calories for brekkie (omelette or scrambled egg on toast)
    350 calories for lunch (usually tuna or cheese sandwich)
    the remainder calories for dinner

End of.

Personally, I would never go with eating six meals per day as I would not want to continue like that forever, whereas three meals per day, will be fine for the rest of my life.

And no, my metabolism never did slow down on just the three meals either and I never went into any starvation mode either.

"Why would she need to eat six meals per day??

Some people like to do that, personally, I stuck with just the three and it was fine."

You could that. But all the reading I have done has said to space out your intake of calories to use only what you are going to use. Your body will store any extra calories it does not need to sustain life supporting actions (heart beating, breathing, brain activity) and caloric energy used to move. If you resting metobolic rate(BMR) is (using fake numbers) 100 calories and hour and you eat 600 calories meal. You're body digests the entire meal and it looks to store the extra energy for later.

An anology would be a shipping and receiving dock(stomach). Say the crew unloads one truckload(food) an hour onto their dock, they then move the product to the correct location in the building to be used by the production workforce( your heart, lungs, kidneys, brain). But now let's say they have two trucks needing to be unloaded, so the crew unloads the trucks and just put the product anywhere it can find a space on the dock for future processing by the production workforce. So now they have two truck loads of product waiting to be used when an hour later another truck comes in. During this first hour the crew is able to move one of the first two truckloads through the factory and the end product is at the shipping dock.. But we still have two loads waiting to be processed(truck 2 from first hour and truck 3 from second hour). So the crew moves the next truck load to the production floor at a quicker pace(exercising). They are able to move 1.5 truck loads in the same hour, but still has .5 load waiting to be processed. This continues to happen everyday all the time and that .5 load never gets process and just sits in the corner(waist line) waiting to be used, collecting dust, and slowly getting bigger. This is the just in time model from the business world that can also be used as an analogy for our bodys(factories)

A second reason is blood sugar level. We need a constant supply of sugar in our diets. Our cells rely on sugar as their primary source of energy, and function at a laggardly pace without it. This is especially the case for the brain, where a lack of glucose makes it harder for us to concentrate and gives that light-headed feeling we get when we skip lunch. And while the body can synthesise a sugar replacement for short periods, exertion – mental or physical – becomes difficult. Your body will process the sugar without storing for later and use it up. If you have too much(sugar high) or too little(dragging self) you are not using your body to the fulliest extent. If you eat 2 -3 meals(like alot of dieters do) then you have peaks(too much) and valleys(too little) in your insulin. When what you want is a steady stream of hormones coming in. (this is also true with every hormone/chemical you're body needs... same thing with medicine. The doctor tells you to take your antibotic 3 times daily so that you can use it when your body can process it)

Now with this being said, it's easier said then done. If you feel you are able to metabolize food with three meals a day. Have at it, there is a reason why doctors/fitness professionals are still making money. Because each and everyone of us are different. make sure you have your own body tested and decide a plan that works for your body.

Ryan
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options

I can't see your diary, so I dont know what you are eating, but I am SO glad someone said this! 1200 calories can be a LOT if you are choosing the right foods. 1200 calories of crap does not = 1200 calories of nutritous food.

A chocolate glazed krisipy kreme donut has roughly the same anount of calories as 3 medium apples. You can't tell me that 3 medium apples wont keep you fuller, longer than a donut. So the quality of the food makes a huge difference when you're talking about 1200 calories a day.
  • Bratkins
    Options
    You have gotten many replies here, so you probably don't need mine. I just had to say that people are always going to have an opinion about what you should or shouldn't be doing with your body and your eating. I have found that I am slowly dropping out of the "chubby girl" sisterhood club. Sometimes the bigger girls at my work will say "Get out of here you skinny *****" and I know they are complimenting me in a way but there is just no reason to be a hater about it you know? My calories are set at 1240 a day right now and sometimes when I share that people think are worried. But explaining about earning additional calories usually makes them change their mind. The only people that get up in arms about it are not educated about it and would impose their opinion about anything without knowing ahead of time. Sometimes I just don't share or ask them questions. "Well, what would be your best advice.....My Dr and personal trainer seem to think this is a healthy option for me as long as my nutrition is balanced....what should I tell them next time we speak?". That will usually shut them down.
  • HerbieSue
    Options

I can't see your diary, so I dont know what you are eating, but I am SO glad someone said this! 1200 calories can be a LOT if you are choosing the right foods. 1200 calories of crap does not = 1200 calories of nutritous food.

A chocolate glazed krisipy kreme donut has roughly the same anount of calories as 3 medium apples. You can't tell me that 3 medium apples wont keep you fuller, longer than a donut. So the quality of the food makes a huge difference when you're talking about 1200 calories a day.

I agree, 1200 calories is a lot when it is real food and not processed junk that isn't filling!