will walking slow really help?

Options
I have major back problems... but im tired of feeling sorry for myself so I am trying to count calories... and im committed to start walking an hour 3 times a week for an hour then will work my way up... I used to love the elliptical my goal is to get back to it.... but will walking 2.0 on the treadmill be my best starting point?

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I think the elliptical is probably easier on your back than the treadmill, but whichever you feel more comfortable with is fine. Anything is better than nothing to get you back into regular exercise.
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Anything is your best starting point. Really. Even 5 minutes. Often once you get started you will do more. It's really a mental battle more than physical.
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    any type of movement is better than no movement. I started out walking half a mile and I now walk 20 miles a day most days. You might find that your back feels better as you go as well< i know mine does>
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest asking your doctor what he/she recommends.

Even if all you can do is count calories, that can still be a start. That's how I started.
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    Any effort is better than no effort.
    That is the bottom line.
    However, be realistic about what the results will be, and the speed they will present themselves.
    Walking is not going to get results as quick/drastic as running or weight training for the same amount of time each week.
    Be patient, but persistent.
    Congrats on the first step! :flowerforyou:
  • Lissyleeb
    Lissyleeb Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys ... my first thread.... what a great site to get motivation from!!!!
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Will it help - absolutely! - Start where you are comfortable, every change no matter how small it may seem helps!

I think walking is the a great way to start. Calories burnt walking is "by distance" so for distance walked whether you get there in 10 or 20 mins it is essentially the same calories. Put that aside for the moment - right now you just want to get moving. Start at a point you feel comfortable if this is 2.0 on the treadmill / around a park / block whatever - then start there. You don't have to win the world all at once. Some people make dramatic changes others build on small changes and make new habits.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I started with 50 yards every lunch( came back to work almost in tears from the pain( dodgy knee)). Now i can walk over an hour.
    Start small, be consistent and learn to stop when you need to. ( i always overdo thing then end up in agony for a week)
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I lost the bulk of my weight just walking about 5 miles a day and watching the calories... assuming you can work around any physical limitations present, you can do the same!

Best of luck!
  • TheWorstHorse
    Options
    just starting is the most important thing. here's what worked for me: do something every single day. add a little each day. five minutes, then six, then eight. don't worry about how far or how fast you are going. don't try to do too much at once or jam all of your exercise minutes into two or three days. your body will like you better and you will make progress faster with consistent exercise and steady slow increases.

in a month you'll be walking further and faster than you thought possible and you will be building a habit of exercise each and every day. with a couple of months of that, you will have a good base for doing more challenging, and more calorie consuming, workouts.

good luck!
  • smand2000
    smand2000 Posts: 88
    Options
    Someone posted this on another threat ... Get inspired, get moving, and get better!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    It will raise your fitness level. Quite frankly, even if you could run 6mph for an hour on those days, it would still only burn around a pound of fat a week. Success is in the diet, the training is more for fitness than fatloss. Many adhere to a diet better when they do some type of training because they don't want to "blow it"

Focus on your diet and you'll succeed. Do whatever type of exercise you can do without compromising your health and causing injuries. Dont be overzealous. Good luck.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    When I started out, the only real Walking I could do was at Wal-Mart using a Grocery Cart like a Walker. It was not "Fast" at all. But it WAS Consistent. As others have said "Any Movement Is Better Than No Movement" You can even 'March' while sitting in your chair. Get your arms moving too. Most Importantly, Be Consistent, Expect it to be Hard, and Expect to have Good Days and Bad Days. You CAN Win this Battle with the help of your Friends!!
  • servicedograiser
    servicedograiser Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yes!
    I started MFP 2 weeks after arthroscopic knee surgery. I started walking outside around my block (0.4 mile) and was disappointed when later in the week when I got on the treadmill and couldn't go faster than 1.6 mph. I am now alternating my walk with walking in water for time.

Start slow and only push yourself a bit, because consistently walking or exercising daily is better than getting hurt or frustrated!

With 2 fused lumbar vertebrae, running is out of the realm of possibilities for me. Friend me if you like.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    any walking is better than none - I still walk -- I average between 2 -4 miles per day and speeds somewhere between 2-3 mph
    you can do it in small bunches, 10 minutes here or there or you can do it all at once
    like other commenters have said, the object is to just get moving and be consistent
    do what you can do and then the next day, do it again - until it becomes a habit
    I never did anything and now I go, "I am going to have a lazy day and do nothing" - that is virtually impossible now
    just listen to your body - you don't want to push it so that you are in pain or hurt
    you can do this
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    As others have said, any starting point is a good starting point. The point is that you've set a goal for yourself and you're going to stick to it. You want it to be somewhat challenging but not so challenging that you quickly lose the motivation to do it. You've set yourself a length of time and a number of times per week you want to do it, so you've made your goal specific and achievable and I think it will work well for you. Good luck!

As a sidenote, complacency is your enemy. Constantly make slight improvements and you'll be back on the elliptical in no time. After a week of walking at 2.0mph, try going a little faster or at a slight incline for part of your workout. Many people find this is best to do in intervals. For example, five minutes at 2.0mph, then one minute at 3.0mph and repeat 10 times since your workout is an hour long. Just a suggestion you might find helpful!