Menopause? WTH?

Options
so last week, I exercised 4 days, watched my calories, kept them around 1700 call/day. lots of water. and I gained 2 lbs. Then I go out of town for 2 nights, eat some crap, and come home 2 lbs lighter? I have missed 2 periods, 45 years old.
I know I cant base my weight loss on 1 week, but this is new territory for me and am a little frustrated.....
Any encouraging words of wisdom would be appreciated :-)

Replies

• laursed
    laursed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Anyone?..........
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Diary is closed
  • laursed
    laursed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Opened....
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    If you are going through menopause, then those hormonal changes can do wonky things with weight loss. Having said that, I wouldn't call it uncommon during my journey to have worked my butt off and not see the scale move, relax my routine and have a drop in weight. It isn't linear and everyone is unique to some extent. Obviously if calories in < calories out, eventually you'll lose weight, but when and what else affects the speed of loss is very individual.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    You are right, one week is not enough, especially if you ate crap for two days! But look on the bright side, you still lost weight over the week - might have lost more if you had not eaten crap! Personally, I never weigh more than once a week, and sometimes only every two weeks because I find the normal fluctuations discouraging sometimes. But if I look at the trend over time, it looks good. So at this point, be patient and persistent, don't eat crap and see what happens in the next few weeks. If you still have no results, figure out what adjustments you need to make and try again.

You don't mention exercise in your post - if you're not currently doing any, I highly recommend starting! Working out helps me feel good, and then I'm much less tempted to eat the wrong things.

All that said, when I was going through menopause, the weight was MUCH more difficult to get off, so if that's part of the problem, you may need an extra dose of patience (and exercise). Don't give up!
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure menopause has anything to do with it. You probably gained weight when you were exercising so much because your muscles were retaining water to help them repair themselves. The weight you seemed to lose later might have been that you lost that water weight.

You won't see results right away. It can take a few weeks, even a month, to start seeing changes on the scale. In the meantime, a big thing is to make sure you're logging your food accurately. There are a lot of quick add calories and generic (and probably inaccurate) entries in your diary. The most accurate way to track what you're eating is to use a digital food scale to weight everything. Otherwise, you're probably going to end up eating more than you'll think you are.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure menopause has anything to do with it. You probably gained weight when you were exercising so much because your muscles were retaining water to help them repair themselves. The weight you seemed to lose later might have been that you lost that water weight.

You won't see results right away. It can take a few weeks, even a month, to start seeing changes on the scale. In the meantime, a big thing is to make sure you're logging your food accurately. There are a lot of quick add calories and generic (and probably inaccurate) entries in your diary. The most accurate way to track what you're eating is to use a digital food scale to weight everything. Otherwise, you're probably going to end up eating more than you'll think you are.

This.

When I started last Year, I didn't lose weight for mabe 3 weeks even though I exercised for 1.53 to 2 hours a day. Then on my third week I lost 5 lbs. it was about a lb a week after that. Patience and perseverance - 2 words You can count .:)