Calorie intake and moodiness

Options
I get stressed out every week if I don't have at least one cheat meal once a week and a cheat meal to me is going over my calorie intake of 1200. Today I went over, I just went thru a breakup and have not felt the need to eat much the past couple days but today I could not help myself. I wanted fast food but opted for things at home and ended up going over by 300. Last weekend before my breakup I went over also and that was supposed to be my only cheat meal but with all this extra stress, my hunger as been twisted this week. But I felt stressed if I didn't eat something more today bc I was so hungry and it was making me moody. Now I feel guilty and it's like you're damned if you do, your damned if you don't. Any thoughts, suggestions, feedback about my diary these past 10 days? I exercise 2-3xs a week but I also have a 2 year old so I try to workout that much when and if I can find a bb sitter. Have not worked out this week tho been kinda depressed. Anyway, desperate for help.. Got 20 lbs to go. I'm 5'8 and 157lbs. Thanks!!

Replies

• ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Even if you ate 300 over your daily total, which you say is 1200, you're only at 1500, which is still a deficit :) I would suggest upping your calories, especially if you've only got 20 pounds to go. Set your weight loss goal at 1 or .5 pounds a week, you should easily be able to eat 1500-1600 calories a day and still lose weight. More food= more happy ;)

Edit: took a look at your diary. Either you're not logging everything, or you definitely need to eat more. Under 1200 calories isn't going to do you any favors, you need more calories just to stay healthy. Eating at a huge deficit isn't going to help you in the long run. You may lose weight "faster" but it won't be all fat, and you will have a harder time maintaining once you reach your goal weight. Up the calories for sure.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Losing weight isn't linear and the answer also isn't eat less less less less.

You need to consume the appropriate amount of calories proportional to your activity. If you're feeling moody that means your carbs are too low.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Personally, i think your daily intake is rather low, which can lead to moodiness and binges, especially since your fats and proteins are lean. Honestly, with as little weight as you have to lose, your deficit shouldn't be very large. Between having a young child and exercising 2-3 days a week , I would personally set your calories around 1700 calories, macros around 40% carbs, 30% protein and fats.

In terms of exercise, if you aren't doing it already, I would do resistance training and cardio (minutes each). That along with more protein will help with muscle retention. Muscle is what makes your body lean and tight. So even if you don't lose 20 lbs, you can still have a lean body. So it may not be necessary that you drop that much weight.

Also, if you don't have a food scale, I would recommend picking up one to ensure accuracy of tracking.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I'm one inch shorter than you and 1 lb heavier, and my base calories before exercise is 1650 for a 1 lb per week loss. Why are you are on 1200 calorie diet? If you only have 20 lbs to lose, you should be aiming for a 1/2 - 1 lb loss per week. I suspect you have your weight loss goal set far too aggressively. I would be moody too if I were you. Increase your calories to a healthy and sustainable amount. I recommend a Snickers to help you get there.
  • JessyLovesJCS
    JessyLovesJCS Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You're going through a stressful time. Give yourself some time and don't 'beat yourself up'. You're not messing everything up. A lot of us can eat (and should) more than 1200 calories a day and still lose weight. You're chasing a toddler! Sometimes that moodiness is very telling. Eat the 300 in healthy calories and no worries!
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If MFP has you set to 1200 calories you probably have your weekly goal set too aggressively. 1200 is the minimum MFP will give you. You might want to consider reducing your weekly goal. With the weight you have to lose, you might want to set to a 1lb per week loss.

Also, looking at your diary you have incomplete days. You really need to log everything.

On days when you exercise you don't seem to eat your exercise calories back. You can consider those the calories to offset your weekly 'cheat' meal. In other words if you are under Monday - Friday by 100 calories from exercise, you could go over by 500 calories on Saturday and still be fine.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    The short answer to this question is that you are currently eating too little.

Stop eating 1200 calories a day. Your profile says that you are 24. It just isn't enough food. That's why you're moody.

Your BMR is 1544 calories. If you were in a coma, you would burn 1544 calories a day. Since you are young and exercise multiple times a week, I would say that your maintenance level is in the range of 2200-2400 calories a day. I am 5'4" maintain at about 2200 calories.

So you see, your deficit is actually about 1000 calories, which it does not need to be. (Also, 5'8" and 137lbs is your goal? Is that not low? Only you know your body, but that's about what I weigh and I'm 4 inches shorter...) Lower your deficit to 500 calories and you'll see huge improvements in your energy and mood. Seriously, eat 1700 calories a day. It may stall at first but you will lose weight eating that way and feel way better.
  • a7xgirl2014
    a7xgirl2014 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have logged everything the past ten days. I've been unde a lot. Thanks or your response really means alot
  • a7xgirl2014
    a7xgirl2014 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The reason I set my goal to 135-137 is because that's was I weighed pre pregnancy, almost 3 years ago and have never bounced back. After being skinny then never being able to bounce back is tough. That's why I have that as my goal