Fiber

Options
mrsmcf
mrsmcf Posts: 41 Member
I cannot seem to get enough fiber daily through food. Please give me your best suggestions that are low calorie, low fat, but high in fiber. If they are high in protein too, then that's a bonus. Go.

Replies

• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Your diary is locked so I can't see any detail, but my guess is that you're not really trying. If you just eat a lot of fruit & veggies, you'll have more than the recommended amount of fiber.
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I add 1/3 cup Kellogg's All Bran Buds with Psyllium to greek yogurt...the cereal has 11 grams of fiber and the horrid taste is disguised by the yogurt
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Not sure why you need them to be low fat or whether or not these count as 'low fat', but anyway I get at least 25g, usually around 30 when I can. Fruits and veggies, Thomas everything bagel thins are good, various cereal, oatmeal, morning star chipotle black bean burgers, and fiber one bars are all regular staples in my diet with good amounts of fiber.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Melons and lettuce are low in calorie and high in fiber.

Any fruit or vegetable is low in calorie and high in fiber.

Higher in calorie, but still loaded with fiber, are grains, potatoes and beans.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I add a teaspoon of Fitness Fiber (5 grams, 10 calories) and spinach or kale to my smoothies.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Fiber One cereal: 1/2 cup, 60 calories, 14g of fiber
  • Rachelc1992
    Rachelc1992 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Kellogg's all bran :) I love them! And actually think they taste nice...
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    My sources of fiber (I get 45-55g a day of fiber) are:

Pears with skin on
    Apples with skin on
    Bananas
    Flatout flatbread
    Pumpkin Puree (I make smoothies with it)

There are other sources, but those give me the most on a daily basis. Make sure you're tracking fiber in your diary as well. Let me know if you don't know how, and I'll send you a walkthrough.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Veggies
    Fruits
    Fiber one bars
    Oatmeal
    Beans
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Kellogg's all bran :) I love them! And actually think they taste nice...

Actually I withdraw my comment about the horrid taste...They are kind of nutty tasting....but a bowl full? :noway:
  • Inittolozeit
    Inittolozeit Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Try adding ground flax seed to your food.. Great resource of fiber
  • CatBird128
    CatBird128 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You can buy these fibre additives from the drug store that dissolve entirely in liquid so you can't tell they're there. You can stir a teaspoon into your morning coffee, or late night low-suger hot chocolate or whatever beverage you drink and you'll never know it's there, but you'll get all the fibre you need. One is called Restor-a-Lax and another is called Lax-a-Day, but those are the brand names, you can find the cheap store brand that has the same stuff at Walmart, Target, Drug stores, etc.
  • cactuswax
    cactuswax Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    it's really not hard to work fiber into your diet... usually the most satiating foods are high in fiber and/or protein. i'd go for whatever is least processed... usually processed foods strip nutrients away, then re-add things like fiber etc... start below:

• garbanzo beans (top a salad with them, eat hummus, mix them with curry powder and chopped celery)
    • lentils (make chili with tempeh! high fiber, high protein, low fat/cals)
    • avocado (jesus butter)
    • nut butters
    • most...all? vegetables and fruits
    • wasa crackers (low cal, low carb, low fat)
    • flax or chia (add these into smoothies or mix with milk to make chia or flax pudding)

Those are just a few i eat on the regular.. google high-fiber foods and i'm sure you can find a solid list.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Fiber One cereal: 1/2 cup, 60 calories, 14g of fiber

0 g sugar. Best cereal ever. this and 2 eggs in the morning really keeps you full until lunch time
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    Broccoli
    Carrots
    Oatmeal
    Whole grain/ whole wheat / wholemeal ( you get the idea )
    Apples
    Pears
    Raspberries
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Every weekend I make a crockpot full of some kind of bean soup or stew or chili and eat it throughout the week for lunch. Plenty of fiber and protein for lunch keeps me from snacking all afternoon.

Bonus--I buy dried beans--often on sale for 99 cents a pound--so it's cheap!
  • GodlesJeremy
    GodlesJeremy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Quest protein bars have nearly 20grams of fiber per bar ar low sugar and high protein!!! BAM!!!
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options
    BEANS BEANS BEANS BEANS BEANS

Fiber? Check.
    Protein? Check.
    Deliciousness? Double check.

Eat more beans!