Success just with hiking and trail running?

Options
greenmeena
greenmeena Posts: 118 Member
Hi all!
Times have changed for me and I can no longer get to a gym- funds are tight, and I moved to rural VT where the nearest gym is laughably far.

I do live where I can access some pretty kick *kitten* trails right outside my back door. I've been x-c skiing, snowshoeing, and hiking whenever I can. When the weather's better (and the snow is gone- hilarious, since we're getting 2 feet dumped on us RIGHT NOW) I will be trail running again, one of my favorite things.

So- anyone else have luck getting in great shape by just playing around in the woods? I'd love to lift weights but it doesn't seem to be in the cards. I'm curious to see if anyone else did well without the gym. Thanks!
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Fruit4dessert
    Fruit4dessert Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    For years I didn't have a gym membership, and I stayed in great shape. I think you can totally do it! I hiked a lot, and lifted weights at home. I highly recommend getting a barbell and plate weights for home... I found mine at a used sporting goods store for cheap. Also, you can google how to do strength training using only body weight, for something free to do at home. I used DVD's (Cathe is my favorite). I have a gym membership now, but I still hike and work out at home as well. Good luck!
  • greenmeena
    Options
    Strength training with body weight sounds intriguing. I'll have to check that out. I have been thinking of where in this small house we can put a barbell, damned if I know. ;)
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Who said lifting weights is the only way to get fit and live healthy? Actually your settings are even more favorable than most of us who live in "cities" and supposedly have "gyms".
    Gyms are overrated. I used to have the same issue as you before. I only had the Forrest and the sea at summer.
    For starters: I would do early morning running (much MUCH better than treadmill)
    I would use the stairs at my building for some quick effective cardio explosions.
    I would use my bike for some off road adventure.
    I would find some tre branches straight and high enough to do some pull ups and general calisthenics.
    At summer swimming and water was my best pal.
    And so many many other ways to train. It is actually much more enjoyable than a dry gym life. I go in gyms now because I live in the city and have no way of getting my regular dose of nature, but I assure you that from a training perspective I MISS the rural country I was!
  • Soloflyergirl2
    Soloflyergirl2 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi.... If you have a vcr or dvd player.... use Leslie Sansone Walking videos... at home.... She has a one, two, and three mile walking video...... excellent.... In Illinois... we have the snow we send Vermont..... and the winds...... so we have to exercise indoors during the winter................................Also... you can use Progresso Soup cans ..... for light weights when you do Leslie''s walking tapes. The extra weight helps you burn calories...... Sometimes, it is safer to work out indoors..... as there are many deer in the forest with tics.... lyme disease... etc.... and near Chicago.... we have coyote, fox, and stranger danger.......................so.... Walk indoors, lift light weights............................and if you have cable tv.... go to On Demand... there are free exercise videos which are great for stretching, cardio.... zumba..... rigorous or slower.... I hope this helps.... :flowerforyou:
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request just now because we're in very similar situations-- I live in rural VT too and have the exact same exercise options and preferences! From your description of what the area you live in is like, with ski center trails, I have to wonder if we live in the same town.

I've been decently successful so far this winter with getting in much better shape, and am still working on losing weight (started that project in January). In summer here, I have no trouble getting strong, as I have a large vegetable garden that's a huge amount of work, and enjoy hiking and trail running. In winter it's a different story. I like XC skiing, but not every day-- winter can be hard for me to take (isn't this storm we're getting absurd?!). And because I'm trying to go from 116 lbs to ~105 (I'm quite short), I decided I needed to weight train. So I got some pairs of dumbbells (2, 6, 8, 12, 14 lb per dumbbell acquired over a stretch of about a year), cheaply on eBay, and use those. I'd kind of like to get into lifting heavier stuff eventually, but I don't think we have room for a weights rack and I'm concerned I might hurt myself without guidance in how to use very heavy weights. I have found lots of circuit training weight/cardio workouts online-- About.com has some good ones. I also have a resistance band ($10 or so) and an exercise ball. We have squeezed the workout stuff into a space in my partner's home office in our tiny house!

I think it is completely possible to get in great shape without a gym! . . . Have you checked out whether there are any Zumba classes in your area? They are super fun, cheap ($6 a class where I am), and great exercise for winter.
  • sullenbee
    sullenbee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I only recently got a gym membership, and only use it when I can't get outside and on my bike. I find working out in a gym horribly boring. Though I live in a medium sized city and not the country, I get most of my exercise from cycling. (Commuting to work, hitting up local mountain bike trails, etc..) Enjoy the outdoors!
  • greenmeena
    Options
    Well, I've been running/ trail running for 7-8 years now. I definitely lost weight doing that, but I believe so much in heavy lifting (especially after seeing the "lifting made me supah bulky!" posts) and it's not something I'm going to be able to do for a little bit until I'm more flush with cash.

I was pretty curious to see what people's experiences are with only having the outdoors as a recreation field. It's obviously the most primal, most basic way to be in shape. I probably don't need the gym if I'm creative. Still, running made me too skinny (this is several years ago) and I lost my nice butt! It is rockier, and steeper here, than where I was so likely going up all these mountains is going to prevent the flat butt syndrome, and plain old squats will help.

I think I saw a video of some guy running in just shorts all over some hilly area, swinging from trees and such… looks interesting. I'm not a 25 year old man though, I'm a nearly 40 year old woman, lol!
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    This might be a weird/silly suggestion, but if you are interested in weights, try moving rocks around? Or use a several-pound rock like a weight while doing squats to build up your bum?

Also, is there a tree somewhere near your house that has a branch you could use for chin-ups? Those are super good exercise.

And, if you do a lot of hiking, use hiking poles, or 2 sticks to approximate hiking poles. I worked on top of a mountain last summer; had to climb it 2-3 times a week, and because it was a difficult hike and I had a lot of heavy equipment in my backpack, I chose to use hiking poles. My arms have never been so muscular as they were after a month or so of doing that! I started with using sturdy sticks, and when my favorite sticks broke and I had a little more money, I got some discounted hiking poles to use.

Generally I think it is totally possible to get in amazing shape doing outdoor activities-- it's just a matter of being able to be consistent through the seasons, like any method of exercising.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    If you want to add in strength training I highly suggest body weight exercises. I have become way stronger and more defined doing that. You can use tables and chairs and doorknobs in your house to help. Check out Mark Lauren's bodyweight training.

Also, I have found that regularly doing yoga has helped my strength and balance a lot. Check out this website for good, free yoga videos: doyogawithme.com.

I don't go to a gym either and I've managed to lose over 40 pounds. My strength, stamina and endurance has significantly increased from hiking regularly.

Have fun!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!