staying under protein limit?

Options
Anybody else finding it difficult to stay at the protein limit. I'm finding it extremely difficult!! I decided to watch the protein and boy I feel like you can only have about 3 oz of meat in 1 meal. By the time you count up protein in the other things you eat (beans/cheese/eggs and etc).

My sister says I'm carnivorous!!!:bigsmile:

Anyhow, I'm making it a goal to eat my carb limits(165) of which I usually only eat 1/2 or 2/3 of them. And to keep my proteins in check.

Replies

• nicolepope11
    Options
    I ALWAYS go over on my protein. It is really hard. I love meat!!
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    There is no real protein limit. The default setting for protein on MFP is very low (about 15%), while an active person should be getting 30% or more of their calories from protein (higher if you do a lot of strength training). It has been shown that you can consume up to 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight with no adverse effects to your body. The daily goal should actually be more of an absolute minimum than a maximum. It is much better to consume more protein than it is carbs or fat, so don't worry about going over on protein! Your body needs protein to build muscles and help them recover after a workout. As an added bonus, protein is takes much more energy to digest than fats or carbs, so it helps keep your metabolism running higher.
  • kianaik
    kianaik Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I had to change my settings from the default goals. I decreased my carbs and increased my protein. My trainer said that I should be getting a minimum of 80 grams of protein.
  • cjnorman
    Options
    I also change my goals. My naturopath doesn't want me eating more than 30% carbs. Changing the carbs bumped my protein up to 40%, which I don't think I have ever reached.
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I changed my goals to 25% protein, 45% carbs and 30% fat. I feel that this is the right amount of protein for me, even though on some days I really have to plan to get my protein levels right. 15% is really low, and there is no reason for keeping your goal to be something lower than you actually want to eat each day. I suggest you find out what your protein goal is and then adjust accordingly.

Anyway, before I changed it I was always going over too.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    check the link in my signature and start eating all the protein you want. That is all.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    YOU SHOULD GO OVER your protein limit!! Protein has NOTHING to do with gaining unnecessary weight! All protein does is built your muscles to keep you strong. There is no such thing as too much! MFP only has a "number" because that is the MINIMUM you should get protein wise.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    YOU SHOULD GO OVER your protein limit!! Protein has NOTHING to do with gaining unnecessary weight! All protein does is built your muscles to keep you strong. There is no such thing as too much! MFP only has a "number" because that is the MINIMUM you should get protein wise.

If you could talk to your kidneys they would definitely disagree with "no such thing as too much" statement.