Gaining weight after working out more

Options
Gained 5lbs. in 3 weeks. Ive always done strength training and cardio but the last 3 weeks, I started a dvd program that I do 5-6 days a week for 30-40 mins at a time. The workouts are maimly strength training and hardly any cardio. In the days, I work out I usually eat 100-200 calories more. My goal is to lose fat around my abdomen and tone up a little. What am I doing wrong here?

Replies

• 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I think it takes a good few weeks for your body to adjust to your new workout regime.

Your not doing anything wrong don't worry!

Just keep working out, and weigh once and week to see when it lowers - Also you hold onto water too : )

Don't stress about it! : ) x
  • dunlol
    dunlol Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Absolutely nothing wrong, unless you are gaining fat. Make sure your caloric intake is set at 20-30% below your TDEE. If your calories are too high you could be building some muscle (and some fat), and if you started consistent weight training for the first time it is possible the pump from the workouts is causing your body to retain a lot more water weight AND you are building muscle. In any case, if you are consistently working out and presumably eating a caloric deficit means you will eventually lose that fat.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Increasing your exercise levels can increase stress on your body, which increases cortisol, which increases water retention. In fact, when I was talking to my doctor about losing weight, she recommended not exercising at first for this reason. So many people live by the number on the scale, they see it go up, and they give up before really even starting. She recommended a month or two to "get the ball rolling" so that I'd feel good about the loses and power through any up swing, but I was also pre-warned.

I actually ignored her advice, but I also realize that weight can fluctuate a lot (up to 5 or 6lbs some days) just do to water retention or being dehydrated.

Keep doing what you are doing. If after a month or two you are still seeing an upward trend; reassess. If that were the case, the first thing I'd look at is logging accuracy.
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I am doing that. However, measure yourself. I find I am losing bodyfat%. BMI may be getting larger, but I am right at 10%. 6-13% is good for males.
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Buy a tape measure and record your inches. It is a better indicator of positive vs negative results than weight alone.
  • Nonya81
    Nonya81 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. Ill give it another month.