10lbs is so hard...30lbs looks impossible!

Options
That's how I feel. I want it bad but don't know how to get there and nothing seems to be working. Should I be spending 2 hours at the gym everyday...and look at food only?!?!? Doing it the right way seems entirely impossible and doing it the wrong way just doesn't work for me...I am just stuck!!!

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    You're losing your motivation that's all. Although I don't use "mini goals" lots of people do...set a 5lb loss goal for a specific date and reach for that instead of all 50lbs. Other suggestions are to mix up your work out routine...go swimming or try Zumba (that's what I did, and it's pretty fun). Another good suggestion I keep hearing is try new recipes. There are tons on this website, and the Hungry Girl website...just shake things up a bit, and enjoy what you're doing. I have 55lbs to lose all together, so if you want we can do it as a team:)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    sorry double post:blushing:
  • iavue
    iavue Posts: 63
    Options
    You're losing your motivation that's all. Although I don't use "mini goals" lots of people do...set a 5lb loss goal for a specific date and reach for that instead of all 50lbs. Other suggestions are to mix up your work out routine...go swimming or try Zumba (that's what I did, and it's pretty fun). Another good suggestion I keep hearing is try new recipes. There are tons on this website, and the Hungry Girl website...just shake things up a bit, and enjoy what you're doing. I have 55lbs to lose all together, so if you want we can do it as a team:)

I am losing my motivation...because I just feel like no matter what I do...nothing works. I'm just frustrated with myself! I would appreciate any help and advice I can get.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    You CAN do this! Why not try focusing on a different goal rather than the scale number...drinking more water, or getting in 4 work outs this week, or writing down EVERYTHING you eat AND staying under your calorie goal....picking just one or two manageable goals will be easier to focus on and eventually the pounds will come off then you will be motivated to add more goals to your focus and more weight will come off...just think small, manageable, changes that YOU are in control of! Good luck!

p.s. my goal for this week was not to get off track while on a business trip and i didn't! I ate well and even did a hotel room work out! Next week is to get back into the normal routine of eating and working out 5 times.
  • nicolepope11
    Options
    It seems you are like me in weight loss. I am very slow at losing weight. Despite staying under my calories and running 3 miles 3 times a week, I just couldn't lose large amounts. It has taken me since January to lose 17lbs. Just a little over 1lb a MONTH! Since starting MFP in June, I've lost 10lbs. Not a drastic loss by any means considering that was 6 months ago! Just stick with it. I felt like I didn't even look any different. But then I started hearing compliments and "wow, have you lost weight?" that motivated me more to stick with it. Losing weight is not easy. It takes patience and hard work. You can do it!!
  • karenyg
    Options
    I was going through this same issue trying to drop 10lbs but it's not wanting to happen, I have been decreasing my size with inches which is good. I promise myself I am going to keep trying because it too years to put on weight so it will take time to get it off. Please don't go to the point of not eating it won't work your body will go into starvation mode and you really won't drop the pounds. Keep trying:smile:
  • iavue
    Options
    You CAN do this! Why not try focusing on a different goal rather than the scale number...drinking more water, or getting in 4 work outs this week, or writing down EVERYTHING you eat AND staying under your calorie goal....picking just one or two manageable goals will be easier to focus on and eventually the pounds will come off then you will be motivated to add more goals to your focus and more weight will come off...just think small, manageable, changes that YOU are in control of! Good luck!

p.s. my goal for this week was not to get off track while on a business trip and i didn't! I ate well and even did a hotel room work out! Next week is to get back into the normal routine of eating and working out 5 times.

I use to weigh myself every single day and I finally got it down to the point where I am only weighing myself once a week. I guess with the passing of thanksgiving...I just have a hard time getting back on tack,

I use to play flag football and while practice I twisted my ankle and can't fully run yet so I been doing other things. Though i know for other people they didn't have to run miles and miles to lose weight but for me it just seems so hard. I really do need to focus on drinking more water...I had that as a challege once and no one to hold me liable for it so it went down the drain! ugh!
  • lisafrancis629
    Options
    You're right, it is hard but it's not impossible. When I found this website and started losing weight in August, 30 lbs seemed like such a big number and so far out of my reach. Well, as of today, I've lost 30 lbs. Yes, there have been days that I ate over my calorie goals or days I just didn't feel like exercising but I kept at it and it's working.

Like another poster said, just focus on small goals like 5 lbs. Taking it 5 or 10 lbs at a time is not so overwhelming.

Don't give up! You can do it. :smile:
  • iavue
    Options
    It seems you are like me in weight loss. I am very slow at losing weight. Despite staying under my calories and running 3 miles 3 times a week, I just couldn't lose large amounts. It has taken me since January to lose 17lbs. Just a little over 1lb a MONTH! Since starting MFP in June, I've lost 10lbs. Not a drastic loss by any means considering that was 6 months ago! Just stick with it. I felt like I didn't even look any different. But then I started hearing compliments and "wow, have you lost weight?" that motivated me more to stick with it. Losing weight is not easy. It takes patience and hard work. You can do it!!

I just want success like everyone else on here...hence I come here for the motivation! :)

I think of food and gain 5lbs...so not fair!
  • iavue
    Options
    I was going through this same issue trying to drop 10lbs but it's not wanting to happen, I have been decreasing my size with inches which is good. I promise myself I am going to keep trying because it too years to put on weight so it will take time to get it off. Please don't go to the point of not eating it won't work your body will go into starvation mode and you really won't drop the pounds. Keep trying:smile:

I can't starve I love food too much! lol! I know that starving isn't going to help me a bit...but like I said just the thought of food adds 5lbs to me. I just hate it!
  • oboegirl
    Options
    What helps me when the scale isnt budging is varying the amount of calories I eat. Like, one day I'll eat a normal day, the next day I'll eat meagerly, then normal again. It always seems to trick my body into dropping some more pounds.
  • iavue
    Options
    You're right, it is hard but it's not impossible. When I found this website and started losing weight in August, 30 lbs seemed like such a big number and so far out of my reach. Well, as of today, I've lost 30 lbs. Yes, there have been days that I ate over my calorie goals or days I just didn't feel like exercising but I kept at it and it's working.

Like another poster said, just focus on small goals like 5 lbs. Taking it 5 or 10 lbs at a time is not so overwhelming.

Don't give up! You can do it. :smile:

I am on a 20lb challenge by xmas but i knew that was too unrealistic so I chose 10lbs. I lost 7 and then gain 2 back, and just feel hopeless!
  • iavue
    Options
    What helps me when the scale isnt budging is varying the amount of calories I eat. Like, one day I'll eat a normal day, the next day I'll eat meagerly, then normal again. It always seems to trick my body into dropping some more pounds.

I tried that eat, stop, eat thing for like a week so but didn't like it. Maybe I should try again. You pick two days out of the week where you fast for only 24 hours...pondering if I should try it again.
  • oboegirl
    Options
    I just read somewhere that cavemen (weird I know) naturally didn't eat a lot everyday. I guess there were no fat cavemen! I only worry about it when I hit a plateau...which for me happens about every 5 or 10 pounds. Lol
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options

I am losing my motivation...because I just feel like no matter what I do...nothing works. I'm just frustrated with myself! I would appreciate any help and advice I can get.

Remind yourself why you're doing it - because you are worth it and because it's healthy. Eventually, if all you're doing is drinking water, eating the right things and exercising then the weight HAS to come off. It's a matter of time.

This week I didn't lose anything, but rather I gained. I busted my *kitten* this week and while it was discouraging to see that it didn't pay off on the scale, I reminded myself that it is paying off in other aspects. I feel great, my skin looks amazing because of all the water I'm drinking, and since I began eating healthy I have had no stomach aches as opposed to when I'd eat junk and get them everyday.

What's the alternative? If you lose your motivation and lose sight of the bigger picture then you will just go back to your old ways that... guess what... weren't working either.

Stay the course and the results will show.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I just read somewhere that cavemen (weird I know) naturally didn't eat a lot everyday. I guess there were no fat cavemen! I only worry about it when I hit a plateau...which for me happens about every 5 or 10 pounds. Lol

1. How do you know there were no fat cavemen?
    2. Who says those cavemen were healthy?
    3. YOURE NOT A CAVEMAN.
  • kpepper07
    Options
    Keep the eye on the prize! I have tried to cut carbs out totally after 3pm. Really it should be after 12 noon but I have a hard time with that. Then exercie before you eat dinner (you will burn more fat if you cut out the carbs). Exercise first thing in the morning before you eat anything it will burn the most fat. I learned to cut out carbs, fast food and beer and I lost 10 quick. Of course I gained it back because I got lazy! Drink a bunch of water........good luck and stop beating yourself up it will come off. you did not gain weight over night so you will not lose it over night either. :happy:
  • oboegirl
    Options
    I guess that's true. I don't know there were no fat cavemen. But I don't fast or starve myself...just opt for fresh fruits and veggies instead of lean cuisines or pass on the processed stuff. No need to get angry...
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Although it's cliche, you really have to take it one day at a time. Personally, if I look too far ahead and think of everything I have to overcome, I get extremely stressed and overwhelmed. Make a conscious effort each and every day to stay within your alloted calorie limit and try to exercise regularly. You just have to keep pushing on and before you know it you will see differences in your body. Don't be discouraged!! Time flies and before you know it you will have noticeable changes in your body. Also make sure you don't give up entirely after making a mistake (or two.) It's ok to "mess" up sometimes...you aren't going to be able to be perfect with your food and exercising every single day! Good luck
  • kimchee_man
    Options
    Honestly, what you really need to do is start to eat clean and fire your metabolism up. work out 4 times a weeks atleast an hour to an hour and a half. atleast 30 to 45 mins of cardio. or a mixture of weights and cardio. if you are to lazy to head to the gym, try using beachbody dvds like p90x or insanity which are ways to kick start your motivation to work out. you'll see results fast in my opinion and learn the basic types of cardio and weight training.

I literally eat 6 times a day but know how to portion my meals and snacks. if you are working out regularly your body needs the fuel itself from healthy foods. (Never starve your body) I started using this website again because I really need to calorie count which is key to efficient weight loss. Maybe you should watch the show "Biggest Loser" there are so many helpful tips on that show for people who dont know much about working out and dieting. And some reason these overweight people losing weight gives me such motivation.

I also use a website called bodybuilding.com which has great tips on dieting and workout plans that fit you lifestyle.

Also if I can ask how are your eating habits, do you eat out a lot? Do you go out and drink with friends? These are things that can stop you from getting early success in weight gain.