Whats up with these side ads!!!!!????

Options
so i've been noticing lately all of these ads on the side and top bars of this website and its beginning to become quite humorous and ridiculous...they are on a weight loss site so you would think- what a great place to advertise maybe...veggies or organic foods or weight loss dvds...NOPE what do they advertise???- GIANT BURGERS AND PIZZA...its like going to an AA site and trying to advertise Smirnoff!....they dont want none of that!!!...i mean i understand believe me- its a necessary feature for this site to remain free- which we all like...but wouldnt it make more sense that they stick to ads for healthy cereal or the "non-food" feature of "living social's site" instead of the burgers and fries and pizza...i mean what are these ad ppl thinking!!!

its quite hilarious

Replies

• ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Options
    That's funny. I only ever seem to notice the p90x, kellogg's cereal, and health/beauty type ads. I didn't even realize there were others with pizza! :laugh:
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Free sites remain free by allowing advertisers to view your personal computer's cookies. Meaning whatever you look at on your computer is viewed by 100s of advertisers. Then one's that have something in common with what you view then put their ads on your side bar. Everone's are tailored to what they view from their own computer. I see healthy food on mine. :)
  • vayax
    vayax Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm in Costa Rica and pretty much all I see is McDonald's adds!
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    Options
    The ads will change based on what is being discussed on the page. Start talking about cereal and it will change!
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    Google ads are generally based on things you have searched and the topics of the page, I believe. So if a thread is talking about how much a person wants pizza, the ad is probably going to be for pizza.
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    The ads will change based on what is being discussed on the page. Start talking about cereal and it will change!

really???? thats super cool...lets start talking about vegas...i've never been to vegas would love to go to vegas
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    Google ads are generally based on things you have searched and the topics of the page, I believe. So if a thread is talking about how much a person wants pizza, the ad is probably going to be for pizza.

very interesting...i suppose i see the living social ads because i am a member of that site!...wow u learn something every day lol
  • snailshoe
    Options
    I've noticed that my ads are related to items that I've searched in Google over the last few days. So some people must be searching burgers and fries! :)
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Google ads display based on what the topic or content on the page is related to unless they have it set up another way. But I never see donuts or anything so I'm always wondering how other people do..hah
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I used to always see the same couple, then I Googled Ann Taylor and all of a sudden I get ads for them. I also get them for HRMs and Fiber one, neither of which have I looked at anything relating to.
  • emmerrs
    emmerrs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have ad block, the add on for firefox that makes all advertisments disappear.

If you want to get rid of all the pizza adds, just click the 'add to firefox' button on this page

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865/
  • Bryan190
    Options
    The adds that pay for this site (so you don't have to) are based on page content, searches from your computer, your geographical location (based on IP address), and other sites you visit (tracking cookies).
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,359 Member
    Options
    They will prey on us to be weak, but we are stronger. :laugh: I honestly have not noticed them that much! So they are wasted on me.