Not exercising?

Options
Morning! Well It's morning here.

I started using MFP at the start of the year and have lost 21lbs. My goal is 95lbs by the end of the year losing a healthy 2lbs a week.

I'm not dieting! I'm eating differently, but still enjoying the foods I like. Yesterday I had a twix and a chinese take-away. I just make sure I log everything honestly. My average net cal since I started is about 1850 cal a day, which is a 700 cal deficit. I've had bad days - but only 1 a month instead of 3-4 a week. Sometimes I lose 4 lbs a week and sometime I put 1lb on, but I expected that.

What I'm not doing is exercise - at all! Honestly.

I have depression and for the last few months I have gone from the bed to the couch and I go outside on average about twice a week. I have joined a Gym, but I don't go.

So a few questions -

What i'm doing is working for me - I'm reaching all my mini goals when I planned to. Is not exercising a bad thing? Will my weight loss stall soon if I don't exercise? Will I lose a noticeable amount of muscle as well as fat?

Replies

• Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    you might lose muscle. your body doesnt work in a straight line, so it wont all be fat loss. and exercise helps with depression, you should try it. nothing ventured nothing gained, right?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but you'll continue to lose as long as you eat at a deficit. But as far as the exercise goes, I think its a great idea to go to gym, you already have joined so might as well go :-) my husbands doctor recommends plenty of exercise to help with his depression and it really has helped! Take little steps and you'll get there! :-)
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    when you first start out not exercising will work for you. yes the more you lose you will need to start exercising to avoid loose skin and gain muscle definition. the best thing about exercise is that is the most natural depression fixer. its produces endorphins that make you happy and feel so much better. sometimes you just got to make yourself do it. once you start walking or dancing around your couch at least, and keep losing the weight... you will feel so much better. I can remember how I felt when I started out. blah, fat and lazy. not to mention I just stopped caring about the simple things. It is great you started out with focusing on getting the nutrition part down on your journey first but yes: you will need to raise your heartrate at the very very least thirty minutes a day. you know you can split your workout times up throughout the day. get up every commercial and dance around or do dips or push ups or leg lifts. stretch. start cleaning the house with some music on and dance and sweat away. just say to yourself just for today, I will.
    I promise you very soon you will start to feel the difference in yourself. being in a calories deficit can just add more stress and/or fatigue and depression. if you add in some exercise you can fight this and take back your life. think of it as your me time. your body will thank you by giving you a healthy glow and smaller measurements. if you want to be able to maintain any loss you achieve you will have to face it that active people are healthy people. just take baby steps. find a beautiful walking trail or park to go in. get a rocking playlist and groove and walk to the music. :flowerforyou: :happy:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    the contribution of exercise to weight loss isn't great, unless you make it an occupation or hobby.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    In order to keep losing weight, you have to remain in a calorie deficit. That's it.

As far as exercise, I'm a good 15 years older than you and I think it's important to my health. I can't work out like my younger friends on MFP, but I kept trying different things until I found something that I loved. I lift weight and run now and I have NEVER done these things in my life. I encourage you to do the same. Find something you love. Exercise is an important tool in combatting depression, too. Even if you just find something to do inside - the benefits will surprise you.

Good luck in your health goals.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    In order to keep losing weight, you have to remain in a calorie deficit. That's it.

As far as exercise, I'm a good 15 years older than you and I think it's important to my health. I can't work out like my younger friends on MFP, but I kept trying different things until I found something that I loved. I lift weight and run now and I have NEVER done these things in my life. I encourage you to do the same. Find something you love. Exercise is an important tool in combatting depression, too. Even if you just find something to do inside - the benefits will surprise you.

Good luck in your health goals.

This.... Coming from being homebound for over 2 years at 560 lbs. and having severe social phobia issues as well as crippling Depression I too only needed to change my eating habits to effect my weight loss but the exercise was more of a clarity thing with me, as I began exercising it help with my mental focus which in turn help me work with my therapist on my depression and fear of being in the public eye... I credit exercise even today for allowing me to have a strong mind and body, the diet today is still all about weight control now that I am in maintenance and I keep the two (exercise and diet) completely separate for my overall goals on this journey.... Best of Luck
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    MaggieGiamalvo Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    when you first start out not exercising will work for you. yes the more you lose you will need to start exercising to avoid loose skin and gain muscle definition. the best thing about exercise is that is the most natural depression fixer. its produces endorphins that make you happy and feel so much better. sometimes you just got to make yourself do it. once you start walking or dancing around your couch at least, and keep losing the weight... you will feel so much better. I can remember how I felt when I started out. blah, fat and lazy. not to mention I just stopped caring about the simple things. It is great you started out with focusing on getting the nutrition part down on your journey first but yes: you will need to raise your heartrate at the very very least thirty minutes a day. you know you can split your workout times up throughout the day. get up every commercial and dance around or do dips or push ups or leg lifts. stretch. start cleaning the house with some music on and dance and sweat away. just say to yourself just for today, I will.
    I promise you very soon you will start to feel the difference in yourself. being in a calories deficit can just add more stress and/or fatigue and depression. if you add in some exercise you can fight this and take back your life. think of it as your me time. your body will thank you by giving you a healthy glow and smaller measurements. if you want to be able to maintain any loss you achieve you will have to face it that active people are healthy people. just take baby steps. find a beautiful walking trail or park to go in. get a rocking playlist and groove and walk to the music. :flowerforyou: :happy:

I agree with a lot of this. "Working out" doesn't necessarily have to mean going to the gym. I'm rehabbing through knee and back injuries (sports and too much fun in my youth) and can't workout very hard right now. So, turning on upbeat music and "dancing" around the house (doesn't have to be anything fancy, just move your body any which way) is a great way to get started. Stretching is great, too! I try to put a little extra effort into any kind of movement I do around the house, so I include things like cooking/food prep, doing laundry, various other housekeeping stuff, taking care of my dog, etc. BTW... my tracker doesn't tell the full story. I'm down 12.2 pounds, over the past month, using this method.
  • ghunter1
    ghunter1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you are struggling to get out of the house then why not try working out at home (doesn't have to be anything major) and then work up to going out for some short walks?

Cleaning and ironing can get the heart pumping if you put enough effort in. I have had to cancel my gym membership due to time constraints as I have 2 dogs, a horse and a child to look after plus I work and have a house to run. I have seen further results by walking briskly for 30 - 45 mins a day, running 3 - 4 times a week averging out at around 3.5 miles a time, riding 4 - 5 times a week for an hour at a time, and I have some small dumbells at home and I aim to do 20 minutes a day of mini circuits with these - which include lots of squats, sit ups, lunges and other resistance exrecises too, so if you don't feel like going to the gym you can work out from home too and save some money!

Working out takes motivation which I am know you will struggle with if you suffer from depression, but you have shown you have motivation by loosing the weight so far, why not set up some mini goals for exercise like you did with your weight? As others have said it isn't imperitive that you exercise to loose weight but it will help you acheive a better shape in the long run and I can guarantee it will help with depression too (I work in mental health)

Good luck :smile:
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    There is a difference in weight loss and fat loss. I lost a lot of weight in 2011. I did it incorrectly the first half of the year. I didn't consume enough protein, no resistance training, and did too much cardio. My body was forced into making some choices, and it decided to get rid of a LOT of muscle mass. After I had lost fifty pounds or so I remember looking in the mirror and asking my wife "holy cow, what has happened to my shoulders?" My chest and legs are also much smaller then they were prior to my diet. The result is a lot of loose skin and a year of hard work in the gym in an attempt to get only some of it back. I would have been much better off not to lose it in the first place. This muscle is not easily gained back, especially when you get a bit older. We are destined to lose a percentage of lean tissue on a diet. How much you lose depends on your exercise regimen. It doesn't have to be daily visits to the gym. Two thirty minute visits to the gym a week will go a long way towards minimizing lean tissue loss. You need to convince your body "hey, I need this muscle to survive" This is accomplished by just one set of a few basic exercises to muscle failure. Check out the book "Body by Science", or search for his Doug McGuff lectures on youtube. .

I don't like going to the gym either. The hardest part is walking in the door. Just promise yourself to go in the gym and do something, even if it's just some stretching and a short walk on the treadmill. . Once I get going I end up completing my workout.

As far as depression, supposedly there are studies that daily walking is an effective a mood elevator as some pharmacological choices. In addition, the sunshine and the Vitamin D your body generates are supposed to help. You can break the cycle, but it's tough. Good Luck
  • gypsy_spirit
    Options

I don't like going to the gym either. The hardest part is walking in the door. Just promise yourself to go in the gym and do something, even if it's just some stretching and a short walk on the treadmill. . Once I get going I end up completing my workout.

This is so very true. It takes me 7 - 10 minutes into a workout before I am enjoying it. I know if I make it that long - it's in the books.
  • theamorash
    theamorash Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've dealt with periods of depression in my past as well, and becoming a more active person has helped me immeasurably. Regardless of its connection to weight loss, it has improved my life significantly. I started out running solo (outdoors), and I could barely get to the top of the street without taking a walking break. I've been spending more time in the gym lifting lately, but it's all good. If you can find an activity that you enjoy (even a little), I would recommend adding it into your weekly regimen; even my doctor has commented that physical activity has been found to be just as effective as medication (if not more so!) in the treatment of depression!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight, the amount of calories you burn in a day will decrease as well, so in order to keep losing, you have to eat less and less.

Exercise helps you maintain muscle, the calorie burning part of your body, and by burning more calories, you get to eat more food. You don't have to go crazy with exercise; just walking burns calories.
  • fpskelly
    fpskelly Posts: 15
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to comment.

For some reason I am much more motivated this weight loss cycle than I have been before. I have been overweight for about 20 years and have tried many fad diets and exercise programs. All of them unsuccessful. I am happy with my progress and even happier that I haven't sabotaged my success with negative thinking and binge eating this time. I am making small changes at the moment so I don't change too much too soon and fail again. My main focus will remain on maintaining a calorie deficit and working towards my weight loss goals, but given everything I've read I will set small exercise goals alongside weight loss goals.

Goal for next week - go to the gym once (even if it is just to stretch or walk a mile on the treadmill) and walk long enough to burn 300 cal twice.

I'll let you know how I get on.
  • gypsy_spirit
    Options

For some reason I am much more motivated this weight loss cycle than I have been before. I have been overweight for about 20 years and have tried many fad diets and exercise programs. All of them unsuccessful. I am happy with my progress and even happier that I haven't sabotaged my success with negative thinking and binge eating this time. I am making small changes at the moment so I don't change too much too soon and fail again. My main focus will remain on maintaining a calorie deficit and working towards my weight loss goals, but given everything I've read I will set small exercise goals alongside weight loss goals.

Goal for next week - go to the gym once (even if it is just to stretch or walk a mile on the treadmill) and walk long enough to burn 300 cal twice.

That is a great plan. I know for me I had to get the eating under control first and foremost - because that is, after all, how we lose the weight. I wish you good luck in finding some sort of exercise you like. I tried so many different things over the first year on MFP. IT took a while, but I finally found my niche with lifting and running.

Please do come back and update us!
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    "Exercise releases endorphin's, endorphin's make you happy, happy people just don't go and kill their husband"
    -Legally Blonde :) hahaha

But I agree with everyone else so I DITTO! Just thought this quote would help ...
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It's a shame there isn't an activity that you love & that makes you feel alive. So many people like Zumba, yoga,; have you looked on you-tube for videos to tempt you? There are a crazy amount of new exercise classes - bellydancing, Soca, boxing - and of course, there are twists on each of these - Aqua Zumba, Soca Step, etc.

Or maybe you'd rather get a machine and watch or read something while you row or do the elliptical?

Exercise is part of taking care of your body. Yes, you're eating right and that's great. But exercise is necessary for muscle tone and to work the heart and bring down cholesterol and so many other things. I'm surprised your dr doesn't holler at you.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

It may (or may not) help you to mentally separate exercise from weight loss. You've done ok without exercise, and there's not reason that you won't continue to lose weight without weight loss. You need a calorie deficit, and you're getting that from controlling your food intake. I guess I'm reinforcing that concept because sometimes when you're prone to depression, putting enormous amounts of pressure on yourself to do something, and then not doing it, can make you feel worse. So, don't do that. You've already proved that you can lose weight without it.

That said, I thoroughly recommend exercise for both physical and mental health. Will you lose too much lean mass without exercise? Well, depends how much is "too much", but you may. If you lose weight slowly, get plenty of protein, and manage to incorporate some form of resistance training a couple of times a week, then you will hopefully do ok in that regard. Although I love my cardio, I don't really like strength training, but I've got to the point where it's worth it to me to do some a few times a week in order to maintain my lean mass.

I've had depression for a long time, and I have to say that regular exercise has helped enormously. It really has. It's not a magic bullet, and it took a while for it to really make a difference, but I find that it's a really important tool for me to keep depression at bay, especially when I'm feeling relatively well and trying to prevent relapse. For me, it's running. For others, it's something else.

Gyms are convenient, but they're not the be-all and end-all of exercise. If you can, try to get outside to run or walk or cycle. Try swimming, or an exercise class, or do some free online exercise videos at home.

Love the idea of your goal though, setting small achievable goals is also a really good thing for depression. And don't be disheartened if you don't totally love it, just try something else. There are literally hundreds of things you can do to raise your heart rate for a while and get those endorphins going.
  • fpskelly
    fpskelly Posts: 15
    Options

It's a shame there isn't an activity that you love & that makes you feel alive. So many people like Zumba, yoga,; have you looked on you-tube for videos to tempt you? There are a crazy amount of new exercise classes - bellydancing, Soca, boxing - and of course, there are twists on each of these - Aqua Zumba, Soca Step, etc.

There are LOADS of activities I love and that make me feel alive. I am an accomplished climber, kayaker and sailor. The issue is logistics. It is easier to go for a walk or pop into the gym than organise an excursion. The other issue is confidence and mood. I don't have the motivation to attend a class. I doubt I ever will - I'm more of an outdoors guy! Sometime this year I will return to those activities and I'll post pictures and videos.

It may (or may not) help you to mentally separate exercise from weight loss. You've done ok without exercise, and there's not reason that you won't continue to lose weight without weight loss. You need a calorie deficit, and you're getting that from controlling your food intake. I guess I'm reinforcing that concept because sometimes when you're prone to depression, putting enormous amounts of pressure on yourself to do something, and then not doing it, can make you feel worse. So, don't do that. You've already proved that you can lose weight without it.

THIS!

I have in the past stabilized my mood and the stress of boredom and inactivity has led me to do too much too soon. Half of the battle I have at the moment is being content with small victories.

I am still at the beginning of a journey that will eventually see me fly. Right now I am crawling, but at least I'm crawling in the right direction!