Lifting weights and scale not moving much..

Options
Ive been lifting weights now 5 days a week for about 3 weeks with cardio about 3 times a week and Ive only lost about 2 lbs. Is this normal? I do feel like my clothes fit better but what can I do to move the scale? :/ Can someone share some tips, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• ImpishVanity
    ImpishVanity Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on the number on the scale. It's more or less meaningless. Instead, take measurements. I do mine weekly. The scale may not move, but the tape measure doesn't lie. There are just too many factors that can affect the number on the scale - particularly when you're weight training.
  • kill3rtofu
    kill3rtofu Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    are you eating at a deficit?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Another case of too much focus on the scale and looking for instant gratification.
  • happyhenglers
    happyhenglers Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Find someplace (or buy a scale) that measures body fat. It is very likely that you are building muscle as you lose body fat so the scale isn't moving. The indicator that this is likely the case is your looser clothes. Since muscle burns more calories than fat, you are absolutely doing the right thing to keep your metabolism high. Also, you might want to make sure you getting enough calories. It sounds counterintuitive, but if you are not fueling your muscles appropriately post workout (about 100 calories of protein within an hour after lifting) or before cardio (about 75 calories of protein and carbohydrates 20-30 before), your body might be using muscle for the missing fuel. In this case, you will see your body fat increasing or staying the same.
  • Jenjenthejetplane1
    Jenjenthejetplane1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I just started Myfitnesspal and yesterday I believe I was a hundred calories under what I was supposed to be eating. Does that make a huge difference?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Two pounds in three weeks is good. Also, your clothes fit better. Sounds like something is working!

I know it's hard, but don't worry so much about the number on the scale. I've been lifting/cardio for a year. I only dropped 10 pounds (5ish since logging here), but I'm sizes down and everything looks tighter and feels better.
  • ImpishVanity
    Options
    If you could open up your diary we could probably give you better dietary advice :)
  • Jenjenthejetplane1
    Options
    Its public now :)
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    I just started Myfitnesspal and yesterday I believe I was a hundred calories under what I was supposed to be eating. Does that make a huge difference?

Let's start with the basics ... what is your current height, weight, goal weight, and planned loss per week? That information will either lead to a set of recommendations or further questions.
  • Jenjenthejetplane1
    Options

Let's start with the basics ... what is your current height, weight, goal weight, and planned loss per week? That information will either lead to a set of recommendations or further questions.

I'm 5'5, weigh 186, I would love to get to 145, and I would like to lose at least a pound a week if not more.
  • ImpishVanity
    Options
    If you're eating under 1200 calories a day and working out as much as you say you are, then you are definitely eating too little. Try logging your workouts in here, maybe looking into a heart rate monitor or a fitbit or something to help you gauge how many calories you're burning and eating back at least some of those calories.
  • Jenjenthejetplane1
    Options
    If you're eating under 1200 calories a day and working out as much as you say you are, then you are definitely eating too little. Try logging your workouts in here, maybe looking into a heart rate monitor or a fitbit or something to help you gauge how many calories you're burning and eating back at least some of those calories.

The amount of things I ate yesterday I was full :/ any suggestions for that to get more calories?
  • ImpishVanity
    Options
    Maybe try many small meals a day? That can help you if you're getting full. Maybe add something like an egg with breakfast, some lean meat or veggies with lunch, meat or veg with dinner?
  • ImpishVanity
    Options
    also feel free to add me :)
  • ImpishVanity
    Options
    I know it seems counter-intuitive to eat more to lose weight, but it really does help. Particularly when you're working out a lot. :)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    You're still fairly new to your workout program. Water retention in your muscles will cause that scale not to move. It's only been three weeks; you need to give it some more time.

But, you also need to have your diet in check. That means weighing and measuring your food. A lot of people think they're eating a certain amount and are really eating more than that. If you're not in a deficit, you won't lose anything.

Lastly, that's a lot of exercise you're doing. Are you training for anything in particular or are you just of the mindset that "more is better"? Because it isn't...
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    First, weight loss is not a linear progression. 2lbs lost in 3 weeks is pretty close to your stated goal of one pound per week. Factor in the adjustments your body is making to now working out so often and it's a pretty good loss to start with.

Second, your one day of logging reveals a few issues. Your gross caloric intake is below your net goal ... or put more simply, you didn't eat enough. There also isn't enough info there about your exercise to make informed recommendations.

Now for the recommendations ...
    -Relook all of your numbers. Your intake goal looks low for a sedentary 20 year old. IIFYM and Scooby both put your TDEE at nearly 2000 calories per day at couch potato activity levels ... and you claim a lot more exercise than that. Until you accurately calculate what your body burns, it's impossible to set your intake goal based upon a healthy deficit.
    -Then clearly define your weekly weight loss goal ... one pound is a good number for what you want to lose ... then make it that one pound, not "at least ... if not more". Clearly defining the goal makes measuring progress a lot easier.
    -Accurately log and compare your intake and burn based on the numbers from the first two recommendations. Eat to your caloric and macro nutrient goals. Adjust as needed if you change your activity level and as your weight changes. Logging includes exercise. With a one pound goal .. the average is 500 calorie deficit per day/ 3500 calorie deficit per week.
    -Measure now for a starting point. That means actual body landmark measurements (hip, waist, thigh, neck, arm, calf, etc). Find an article of clothing that you plan on keeping and note how it fits today. Take "before pictures". Then step on a scale. As long as the majority of those trend in the right direction, don't worry if one lags for a while. Losing body fat, inches, and pounds are not linear ... there will be times when they slow, or even temporarily reverse. Keeping progress in perspective matters.
    -Accept the fact that this is a lengthy process when done properly.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Ive been lifting weights now 5 days a week for about 3 weeks with cardio about 3 times a week and Ive only lost about 2 lbs. Is this normal? I do feel like my clothes fit better but what can I do to move the scale? :/ Can someone share some tips, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

1200 calories seems low for the amount you workout. You're also eating a ton of grains. I'd try switching out those oats, graham crackers, and pasta for eggs (and other lean meats(since you're going for fat loss)), veggies, and nuts.

Eggs are the super food for muscle building and fat loss. I eat at least 4 / day now. When I was trying to put on tons of weight, I got up to 12 / day. You go pretty nuts with eggs.
  • Ataraxia81
    Ataraxia81 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I too have been lifting weights and doing cardio since the end of December. As of current my weight loss has been 13 pounds. My doctor told me that if I am lifting weights, the scale will not move as much as if I were just doing cardio.

Most of the changes I have noticed have been more appearance based than scale based. My stomach is starting to slim down as is my face.

Using a measuring tape, measure yourself once a week and keep track. Also, taking photos on a weekly basis (side profile, front profile, and face) will also help you notice the differences. You might be surprised what you see when you start to compare.
  • Jenjenthejetplane1
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for your wonderful advice <3
    I feel a lot better about this now and feeling much more motivated.

Thanks! Also feel free to add me.
    ~Jen