hi I am new to weight loss; veteran to weight gain.

Options
Hi, my name is Claire and I am 25 years old.
I weigh 254 lbs and I want to lose 114 lbs to bring me down to 140.
I know I can do it by eating right and exercising.
I am new to regular exercise, I can walk all day and night but I am insecure about the gym.
Hopefully I can find some friends to help support and motivate me, and help me with exercises to try at the gym.

Thank you!

Replies

• aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Welcome! MFP is great. Feel free to friend me if you like! :flowerforyou:
  • crystaltellor
    crystaltellor Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    have you tried curves, I go with a friend to keep me motivated and I have lost 14 lbs by doing the circut training and eating right. It is a lot better than going to a gym where you have to work out with men and someone is always around to help you with the machines. Good luck!
  • Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Hi Claire and welcome to MFP. I can't give any advice as far as the gym is concerned but I can be a MFP friend that will motivate you thru your journey =].
  • aprilheaven
    aprilheaven Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey! :) i am new to weight loss as well and have tried to diet in the past, but I have never been this motivated. I think what really got me motivated was just really saying to myself that I needed to change. I felt really crappy for the most part, and I used that to fuel the fire. I'ce got a co-worker in it with me (all though he doesnt have to lose as much weight as i do.) I am 222 and trying to lose 82 bounds to bring me to 140 as well. It;s a big challenge, but im sure you can do it!! feel free to friend me and say wahts up sometime. :)
  • npryor100
    npryor100 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to start somewhere! You're making a great choice!

It seems like an ambitious goal right now, but you can do it! Just focus on one day at a time, making those healthy changes to eat less calories than you burn.
  • molina76853
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, I too have struggled in the past and not staying motivated. I like MFP because by logging on every morning and seeng all the encouragement from others and reading about their success really keeps me motivated. I have not lost much weight but have been exercising daily and eating alot healthier and I do feel the difference. I have a lot more energy and feel more confident in myself.
  • queencelina
    queencelina Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    hi and welcome :)
  • nickeymhughes
    nickeymhughes Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Please don't be insecure about the gym, those are just people too. We all had to start somewhere. I have found some great, helpful, and motivational people at the gym. Don't get discouraged, if it's the people who are able to run 5000 miles or lift more than they weight, I can tell you they have been doing it for quite some time so don’t let them stop you, most of these people will be happy to help you. If it’s the equipment that scares you hire a certified personal trainer and if you can’t afford it just ask questions, buy magazines, go to the library, or ask the gym personnel or others in the gym for help. Don't lift heavy until you have been shown correct form, you don't want to hurt yourself. I hope this helps. I have lived in several states and have been to over a dozen different gyms and I can tell you I have never gone to any gym where people were not friendly, never. They are just like me, they want to be healthy, fit, motivated and most are seeking friendships. I am not a personal trainer and I'm am trying to lose 25 lbs since my back surgery, I work in a factory and I'm a wife and a mother, so I am also just like everyone else too, I'm looking for motivation, advise and friendships as well. You know what will be wonderful… If you go to the gym, start to see results, get hooked on working out (and you will get hooked) and remember how you feel right now about being insure and set out to be an inspiration to others who fell insure about starting at a gym and make it your goal to help them not be insecure, what a blessing you would be!!! Keep me updated please, let me know how you do at the gym.. You will love it!!!!
  • prettyclara85
    Options
    Thank you all for the support! I will update you on my progress often, and keep you updated on my gym of choice.
  • pinkybutterflybaby
    Options
    Hi Claire :)
    I am 217.8 lbs and need to lose similar amount of weight (well more because i need to lose 96.8 lbs) to be able to get down to 121 lbs. Good luck!
  • slwennick67
    slwennick67 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Claire, there's no need to feel insecure about the gym. There's people there of every body shape and type, as well as every fitness level. Sure there's going to be people there that are in great shape, but there also going to be people there in worse shape than you. DON'T compare yourself to others. DO compare yourself to your old self, and use that to motivate you. Above all, just relax and have fun.