Weight loss and wrinkles?

Hi everyone. Its been some time since I was last here. Probably in excess of six months. I went to my doctors yesterday for a check-up and she weighed me. My scales broke about 6 months ago, so I wasnt sure what to expect. She told me I had lost weight and weighed 78kg. Ive since got new scales and weighed myself today without clothes on, and he's was inaccurate. Im actually 73kg.

About 6 months ago, I was weighing my highest, 83 kg, so Ive lost 10 kilo since then.

I have noticed, since I started my weight-loss journey, about a year ago that the skin on my arm and face has changed. I am not so concerned about my arms, but my skin on my face is quite unusual. It has a crepe kinda texture. If I press my skin, I get hundreds of these lines appear. Its very dry as I cant seem to exfoliate the top layer of skin at all, and ive tried loads of different moisturisers presuming it may be simply dehydrated skin, with no joy what-so-ever. I have lost weight in my face due to my all-over weightloss . I am wondering now, if perhaps it could be due to weightloss? and not dryness?

Could it be that because ive lost fat in my face, Ive now excess skin and it gives the appearance of fine wrinkles everywhere? Is that how it works? or am I an idiot and thats not possible?

If this is potentially the case, does this mean Im just going to have to live with it? or does it mean that in due course, the skin will slowly start to tighten back up as the excess skin is not needed. It's fairly subtle. In fact, most people wouldn't notice it if the weer stood next to me, but I can see it, and it worries me that losing weight is having a negative effect on my face.

Has anyone had any similar experiences with changes to their face with weight loss? Im only 36, and before I lost it, my skin didnt have this crepe appearance, it was only a little dry. In general, I look closer to 26 that 36, so this change in my skin is kinda freaking me out.

Would love to hear of your own experiences. x

Replies

• caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    a lovely old family friend once told me that as you get older, you have to make a decision between your figure or your face, when i asked her about it, she meant a skinny figure means you look more wrinkly, and rounder figure means less wrinkly. I guess is stands to reason, i'm aiming for somewhere between the 2.

You could try drinking more water for hydration and another thing i find helps is to stop using chemicals on the skin, ie all the stupidly expensive face moisturisers etc, which are basically full of chemicals which can dry your skin out. Try a tiny drop of almond oil, or organic coconut oil instead.
  • xfilme
    xfilme Posts: 21
    Yeah I am already doing that. I dont buy expensive products full of chemicals. Im currently using a simplistic almond oil emollient and some organic coconut oil. I understand the process you are saying about aging. But does that mean because Ive lost weight, those wrinkles will never go? or does your skin just take time to readjust to there being less fat to cover?
  • I don't know the answer fully but in my experience if I drink more water my skin condition is a lot less dry - noticeable on my arms mainly.

Also, I have found that doing facial exercises helps with tightening things up in the face department. Make silly faces in the mirror during morning routine in bathroom. e.g. Stick tongue out - 'touch' nose, chin left and right and repeat for as many times as you can, or anything else you can think of the get those facial musles a work out.
    good luck
    x