Tips for the New/Beginning Runner

Options
I have never enjoyed running, but recently I have had a change of heart and my mindset is different now about my weightloss strategies and goals. So I have attempted to incorporate a little jogging/running into my workout routine and I would like some tips and advice on how to increase my endurance to run for longer periods and how to build up to eventually becoming a runner, but most importantly to enjoy doing it. Thanks in advance for your tips!!!!

Tee :-)

Replies

• hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    go slower than you think. C25K. get fitted for shoes at a running store.
  • jussy123
    jussy123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just started running several years ago, and kind of restarted after each baby.

I found the following helpful:
    1. Do a couch to 5k program, or anything that slowly ramps you up to running. Personally, I used the running room system on my own (each week, run 1 min, walk 1 min, and then run 2 min, walk 1 min, to get all the way to run 10 min, walk 1 min). I still do a walk during my runs. I run a mile and walk a minute, and then run again, and find it very helpful to use that time to stretch a bit if something is tight, or just to relax so I can run again with correct form.
    2. For me, I did it on my own. I found that when I used the running room, I felt compelled to keep up to the fastest people, and that led me to think I would never be able to run. On my own, I went at my own speed. If I found that week's schedule hard, I repeated it the next week, and had no stress about it, because it was just me.
    3. Great music and a good armband for my phone, as well as good headphones that don't fall off.
    4. A good app. I really felt motivated by my app. I was collecting more miles, and it would tell me how fast I was going. I loved scrolling through all my runs.
    5. Rewards! I would reward myself with nice running clothes.
    6. A race. I signed up for a few 5Ks with some friends, and it really motivated me to practice. I wasn't interested in the fastest pace, but I was very interested in MY fastest pace.

I hope that helps! I find running really meditative and a great workout.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    First, go to a running store and get fitted for a good pair of shoes.

After that, there are many programs available to help you, I have heard the Couch to 5K is really good.

Basically, start off, for just time out, don't worry about distance.Set a time goal, say 30 minutes total. Jog as much as you can, than walk, than jog, than walk. Even if you can only jog for 30 seconds that is ok. Each week, try and increase the amount of time you can jog. After a few weeks, increase your time out. Only jog every other day, cross train on your off days.

Jog slower than you think you should, your speed will increase over time. As you continue on increase your time out. As you get faster, start running for distance.

Get an ipod shuffle or something and load it with music that makes you happy, or find a partner.

Most important is to just get out and go, if you are walking fast, it is much better than being on the couch!

There is no right or wrong to running, just do what you can, and it will come along.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    What you said in your post could have been me two years ago. :smile:

I started with the c25k program - worked great! I used the c25kFREE app by Zen Labs on my phone. Nine week program, three days a week, starts you out slow with a combo of running and walking intervals, building you up to running a full 30 minutes by the 9th week. And two years later, I'm still running strong and enjoying it. :smile:

Tips -

-Get good shoes - fitted at a running store if possible.
    -Stick to the program - don't add extra days or go farther even if it feels easy at first.
    -Go slow - I mean S L O W with the running, especially as you progress through the weeks. Just complete the time, don't worry about speed or distance - those will come later.
    -Run outside if you can - it's more fun to get outside!
    -Find a 5k race in your area that's happening sometime after you'll finish the c25k program and register for it. It's a great goal and motivator to have a race on the horizon. And racing is a blast! It's a huge feeling of accomplishment and a great way to celebrate your success by crossing that finish line. Every 5k race I've done has been a fun and festive atmosphere with runners of all ages and abilities - you'll love it.

Have fun!
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    What worked for me is to run/walk a mile. I ran 3 times a week. When I was able to run the whole distance 3 or 4 times in a row, I added a half mile. I just kept adding like that. I never worried about my speed, just wanted to jog the whole distance of my goal. I worked up to 5 miles. To this day I only do 5 miles once a week, but do shorter distances or a sprint interval workout as I got in better shape. A good tip my doctor gave me was to not add more than 10% a week.... add on distance very slowly to help prevent injury.

Get a GOOD pair of running shoes. I recommend going to a running store that has a treadmill and people that will help you based on pronation of your feet and watch you jog. Take in an old pair of sneakers so they can see how you wear the tread out. Good running shoes are almost always very expensive, but they're the best investment you'll make. And you don't need to replace them for about 400 miles. So until you start putting a lot of miles on them every week they'll last you a good year before you need another pair. And wear them only for running or walking.... so you don't put wear on them outside of your workouts.

I hated running until I became good at it. I got me a small MP3 player and put nothing on it but fast music that helped keep me motivated... music that would make me want to dance. I often find myself singing out loud while I'm running LOL. I also bought me a GPS heart rate monitor because I liked being able to see my distance and calories burned. It's the little things that kept me motivated. I would come home and say, "I only stopped to walk twice this time," or, "I ran the whole thing today!"

Good luck! Once I became a "runner" I now truly enjoy my runs. It's still hard to get up and get out there so that part may never be easy. But once I get on the street and go, I love it.
  • tiggerdug
    tiggerdug Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I just started 6 months ago, doing my first marathon in 11 weeks, its amazing how much there is to learn about running. But like everyone says, first thing is the shoes, I waited too long to get mine, I now have a horrible bruised toe.

I found using a running app helps and keeps you motivated.

Good Luck
  • mthr2
    mthr2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    For me the key was SLOW SLOW SLOW!!!

"Run" slower than you can walk. When you feel winded, see if you can slow down rather than walk or stop. Very quickly I realized that using this technique I could last an entire mile. Then 2.....

Also, music. I don't know if I could run at all without good music.

GOOOOOD LUCK! :):):):)
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    If your starting from no running then dont worry about speed at this point just worry about getting out there.
    The trick is to advoid injury, especially if your overweight, since the legs will take a beating.

The best motivation...sign up for a race. it is amazing feeling to complete your first race no matter how well you do!

Everyone is advocating the C25k and i agree thats a great way to get started..I never finished it as I started training for a Half insted..something i did with my training was to do the days training and then walk the rest of the distance. That took the pressure off early for me..I knew i could actually carry my body that far! Then it just became a matter of working on running that distance..chipping away at the mileage. each long run i did id add a litte more. For example week 1 run a mile, week 2 run 1.25.
    Ive been running a year and it took a while but last Sunday I was able to run 13.1 miles continous. before that Id go so far and had to drop to a walk/run.

The point is dont set yourself up for injury by thinking you should be running a certain way..the advancements will come with patience. Every race Ive been in has had those going slow and steady at the back of the bus and that is where you'd find me..(though ive moved up a couple of seats now :))
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I recommend going to a running store that has a treadmill and people that will help you based on pronation of your feet and watch you jog. Take in an old pair of sneakers so they can see how you wear the tread out.
    A note of caution. Running stores are there to sell you shoes. They are not all experts and a lot of them have only had experience that they have gained from trial and error or the 10 minutes from the rep that sold them the machinery. In reality they are only going to try and sell you shoes they sell. Think about it what salesman (which is what they are) will send a customer to another shop (not may I bet you). I'm not saying don't take their advice because there are some good knowledgeable people working in these places. I would though however have a little skepticism with you at all times. They are not always the all powerfull knowledgeable God like beings a lot of people on MFP like you to think.

My main advice is run slow and run outside even in bad weather you'll thank yourself in the long term
  • Happymom83
    Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting to get motivated to start running..I had started the C25K last year,but fell off the wagon due to injuring my leg during 30 Day Shred..I'm inspired by this thread to get back at it!:happy:
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    In addition to a well fitting shoe, get a well fitted sports bra. Not one of the pull over your head things, but something with clasps and sizes. I'm rather well endowed for a small girl and I have a fair amount of excess skin from being big so I also wear a compression tank under my top so I don't jiggle. The jiggle can get uncomfortable.

Good luck, take it easy and don't compare yourself to others.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Go slower than you think you "should". Walk/run combo is common to start.
    Stretch well afterwards.
    Cross train on alternating days - bike, swim, elliptical
    Strengthen all the muscles of your lower legs to avoid patella tracking problems-> glutes, hamstrings, quads, calves, adductors, abductors. Squats, lunges, and deadlifts are good, as are calf raises.

If you start having pain, stop and reassess.

Get a good pair of shoes that fit and work well for YOU. Don't ask others what shoes they wear, it is irrelevant. A running shoe store that specifically fits runners is the best bet, not a general sports store.

Ear phones/ear buds that fit and don't fall out. Something that keeps you going--I like to have books read to me on my phone but I am geeky. Other like music.

If you run on the road, face traffic. Assume the car coming toward you is a teen who is texting and doesn't see you.
    If you run at night: wear reflective clothing and/or lights (the flashier the better).

Consider some sort of dog deterrent for the rare cases of attack by pack of dogs.

Try to find a running partner to keep yourself accountable if you find yourself wanting to skip. Sign up for a 5K, 10K, something, and find one of the many online free training programs. Once you pay for a race, you have another motivator to run.

Run different routes to make things interesting.

Have fun! If you make this more fun than work you will enjoy it more:smile: .
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    There are stores that sell running shoes (along with other sports equipment) and there are running stores. Some ways you can tell a running store is they basically only sell running equipment, they will actually test your running style (our local one has us run in the parking lot when it's nice/treadmill when not and will video to analyze with you), usually will ask you to bring your current/older shoes in to check wear patterns, and they sponsor many local races (how I found mine, looking at race flyers) among other things. Yes they push to sell shoes and theirs will be a bit pricier than sporting goods stores (like Hibbet's, Dunham's and Scheel's around here) but you are also paying for their time helping you correctly built in the cost of the shoe. Ours also has a two-week return policy where after 2 weeks you can still return the shoes.

So yes do some research before you pick a running store.
    I recommend going to a running store that has a treadmill and people that will help you based on pronation of your feet and watch you jog. Take in an old pair of sneakers so they can see how you wear the tread out.
    A note of caution. Running stores are there to sell you shoes. They are not all experts and a lot of them have only had experience that they have gained from trial and error or the 10 minutes from the rep that sold them the machinery. In reality they are only going to try and sell you shoes they sell. Think about it what salesman (which is what they are) will send a customer to another shop (not may I bet you). I'm not saying don't take their advice because there are some good knowledgeable people working in these places. I would though however have a little skepticism with you at all times. They are not always the all powerfull knowledgeable God like beings a lot of people on MFP like you to think.

My main advice is run slow and run outside even in bad weather you'll thank yourself in the long term
  • naturallytee
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of your great responses. I now realize that I need to get a GOOD running shoe, and I have already downloaded the couch25K program for my phone. I definitely need some good earphones as well, because I have been irritated by my current earbuds constantly falling out. Rest assure I will take it slow and and pace myself to avoid injury. I was unsure at first, but I'm glad to say that I have signed up for the biggest loser 5K run/walk. I did a 5K about 3 years ago and I didn't do too well and haven't thought about doing it anymore until now. I will focus my attention on completing the race instead of my time and then on the next race improve upon that.

This was my first post on MFP and I'm very thankful for your responses and our MFP community:happy:
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    if you haven't read this yet:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

do so. The poster is an experienced runner and knows what she is talking about.
  • alishapotts15
    alishapotts15 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have just started to run again and I am working on my 5k that is next month. Any advice? I can run my mile but I cant find the motivation to get the second.
    Feel free to add me if y'all need any motivation.