Plateau --> 240 lbs

Options
After 6 months of dieting, exercising I think I finally hit that dreaded point where everybody talks about ... Plateu.

I used to be 6' 280lbs 6 months ago. Now I am 6' 240lbs. Estimated BF drop is from around 40% to mid-high 20's.

I currently do one hour of crossfit, about 30 min - 1 hour of strength work, then about 30 min - 40 min of light jogging for a total of around 2 - 2.5 hours/day.

I currently consume an average of around 2800-2900kcal / day and I'm eating a fairly high protein diet. (200g + / day)

I've gotten a lot stronger and fitter.

It looks like I've always stalled at this point - 108 - 110kg. Why is it taking so long to drop weight from this point on?

My body's become fairly muscular and everybody says I'm shaping up and losing weight.

Even if I lose fat and gain muscle and become jacked, I don't want to be 240lbs :( I want to get down to at least 220. What to do?

If I eat less than what I eat now, I get really hungry due to the 2 hours of exercise I do 6 times/week.

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    How long have you been stalled at 240?
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Just so those who lift can gauge where I'm at, my current 1RM are as follows:

Deadlift: 455 lbs RAW
    Bench: 275 lbs
    Back Squat: 335 lbs full depth(*kitten* to the ground)
    Power clean: 245 lbs
    Clean&Jerk:235lbs

Cardiovascular wise, I can finish all crossfit workouts(think p90x with weights?) at a solid time and can jog 5k in about 26 - 27 min after crossfit class(haven't ran fresh yet)

----

So I'm fairly fit for my weight(I think). Why can't I drop weight?
  • edwardkim85
    Options
    How long have you been stalled at 240?

Scale hasn't moved in over a month now.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    you know what is coming I know you do...

I checked your diary...going back into February and checking random days in march.

You don't use your kitchen scale consistently...there are days not logged....and there are days you are way over.

If you are stalled you are eating more than you think...hello maintenance.

tighten up your logging, weigh your rice etc, log everything and stay in goal.
  • edwardkim85
    Options

I checked your diary...going back into February and checking random days in march.

You don't use your kitchen scale consistently...there are days not logged....and there are days you are way over.

two weeks not logged = vacation --> quick added 6kcal

days I am over, yes. I set it as 2500 kcal but I average around 2800-2900kcal because of my 'cheat day' usually.

i weigh everything except on cheat days.

Anyways I guess I was just complaining. There are a lot of people who are 6 ' 180lbs that look out of shape as well so scale doesn't matter much. It's just annoying when it stops :9
  • raleighgoodwins
    raleighgoodwins Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    perhaps if you focus on measurements instead of pounds you will see progress?

I'm quite sure you have gone down several waist sizes in your pants from your description

Other things I've heard about plateaus are that you need to change up what you are eating or change up your exercise routine as your body could be adapting to what you are currently doing.

I'm female and 5'8" and tend to plateau at 162 lbs (my current weight) so I'm also trying to figure out what to do to get over this hump.

Sorry I don't have an answer - it sounds like you are doing all the right things. It could be that you are stuck really only for 2 weeks because of the 2 week vacation? And maybe if you just stick with it you will get over the hump and continue to lose.

Good Luck!
  • SezxyStef
    Options

two weeks not logged = vacation --> quick added 6kcal

days I am over, yes. I set it as 2500 kcal but I average around 2800-2900kcal because of my 'cheat day' usually.

i weigh everything except on cheat days.

Anyways I guess I was just complaining. There are a lot of people who are 6 ' 180lbs that look out of shape as well so scale doesn't matter much. It's just annoying when it stops :9

Yah I figured vacation...I did the same thing and estimated I ate enough to gain 4lbs...and that's exactly what happened.

As for the cheat days...I personally don't subscribe to that...I eat what I want in any given day but stay in my calorie goal. Those cheat days will slow you down (as you can see now) don't give up the foods you want/crave/love and save them for cheat days...eat them when you want them...just in smaller portions.

That way when you do get to maintenance it's not a big change.

I personally have gone 1month as well then had that woosh...but barring that check out this group

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Sara and sidesteel are great at things like this...and have helped tonnes of people. Just be prepared to do whatever they tell you....
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Muscle is denser and leaner than that fat. You may be losing fat and gaining muscle. Your appearance is changing even though your weight isn't dropping. it's common.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Just real quick, your cheat days looks like your over 3000 calories and that seems to be guessing.. you gotta cut that down.. Want to break the plateau I am guessing your at a point where your eliminating your deficit for the week with those 2 cheat days. (last weekend and some others).
    You got 2500 calories to play with, skip breakfast and just have 1 big meal on your cheat days.. its hard to do at first but I doubt you will be able to eat 2500 food calories in 1 sitting.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Have you re adjusted your calorie intake for the weight lost? I find it hard to believe you hit a plateau at 240lbs, it probably has to do with eating too much

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kinesiology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Skip your cheat day for an extra week?
    Also, My Dr. told me that I can try "zig-zagging" my calories, (not frequently) where you eat what you want (don't lose control) and fast for 24 hours. He said it jump starts your metabolism. I haven't tried it yet, though.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Muscle is denser and leaner than that fat. You may be losing fat and gaining muscle. Your appearance is changing even though your weight isn't dropping. it's common.
    you don't gain muscle eating at a deficet...
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters--it's the not logging/cheat days. For me, I do 2-3 non-logging days/week to maintain, but I need to log EVERY day to lose. It seems that you've found your maintainence system! ;-)