IF - Intermittent Fasting

Options
abadvat
abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
Went from clean eating many moons ago to tracking macros and now curious to give it a shot at IF and assess the results.
Been reading a bit but cannot find an answer to the following:
From a daily macros / calories point of view, you base your standard daily consumption in the feeding window and meet normal macros / calories as you would do without IF or actually deduct the un-eaten meals when you fast from your daily macros / calories and hence eat at serious deficit depending on the type of window you fast / feed?

Additional opinion / info on the topic is welcome!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    you eat the same amount per day in fewer meals / hours.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

This
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Very good read for anyone interested in Intermittent Fasting. PhD who experimented with several different modalities on himself.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You just eat all your calories and macros in your "eating window". I try to eat between 12 and 8 pm. This works better for me since I workout after work and only get home around 7. I prefer having two larger meals and snacks throughout the day. I haven't been doing it long enough to notice any changes yet (almost a week) so I am looking forward to seeing if it works for me.
  • justicekenny
    Options
    give it a try .. I love it .. Been doing it for a year and some change .. It's not a magic potion or anything like that.. Your calories / TDEE are what they are .. Eat according to your goals .. I like it because of the planning / convenience of it ..
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options

Bingo. Really no change, other than the timing of your meals. I still eat well and am losing weight because of it!
  • FitCowgirl8
    FitCowgirl8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

^This. I really like it because I think it really helps me to stay within my calorie goal since I have a shorter timeframe to consume those calories. I have been losing weight steadily since starting IF.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    There are multiple approaches to this so really no definitive answer.

For example the Martin Berkhan "lean gains" approach has you adjusting fat / carbs for workout / non workout days and strives to sync eating windows around workouts. Quoted from this link: http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html
    Macronutrients and calorie intakes are always cycled through the week. The specifics depends on the client's ultimate goal: fat loss, muscle gain or bodyrecomposition. The details will be revealed in the book. Generally speaking, carbs and total calorie intake is highest on training days. On rest days, carbs are lower and fat is higher. Protein is kept high on all days.

And another quote from this one: http://rippedbody.jp/2011/10/08/leangains-intermittent-fasting-guide-how-to-do-it-by-yourself/
    6.Training days: eat more carbs, less fat.
    7.Rest days: eat less carbs, more fat.
    8.Keep protein high on both days.
    ■Leaner cuts of meat/fish for training days.
    ■Fattier-cuts of meat/fish on a rest-days.

A Brad Pilon "eat stop eat" type of approach and the Hofmekler "warrior diet" just have you eat the same things but less of it in a compressed window, IIRC.

I think this is a good overview of multiple approaches:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-fast-part-six-choosing-a-method/#axzz2vqmNnFAh

Good luck!
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options

^^ This. IF is a tool you can use to create your deficit. Some including myself even use it all year round for the convenience factor. I don't like preparing breakfast everyday and heating it up a work, so I skip breakfast. This also gives me more calories to eat in the evening. It also is great if you would rather have a few larger meals during your window instead of eating smaller meals all day long.
  • abadvat
    Options
    Cheers all - thank you for taking the time!
    Considering a 16-8 and a full 24 hrs during the week end.
    Finding it tricky in terms of timings - usually I workout at 6pm and if I start feeding after, it will give me either a very short night / rest!
  • abadvat
    Options
    Very good read for anyone interested in Intermittent Fasting. PhD who experimented with several different modalities on himself.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting

Indeed, this and nerdfitness are the 2 reads that triggered the curiosity!