New here...work at Mcdonalds at night.

Options

Replies

• jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Chew gum. It sounds like you are not talking about breaks, but just quick walk-bys. If that's the case, chewing gum may cut some of the grabsies out. At least tiding you over until you can make a good food decision, or get you to break or whatever.
  • srammels
    srammels Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Completely not related to food suggestions - I would also suggest maybe chewing gum, mints, or brushing your teeth when you get the urge to nibble. I find that if I have a fresh, clean mouth I don't want to ruin it with snacking. Just an idea!
  • merecard
    merecard Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    So that's my main problem. I do 8pm to 12am 5 days a week at Mcdonalds. I can stick a diet fine up until dinner and going to work. But around 10pm, having been working my *kitten* off for 3 hours I start to get hungry and that's when I start to nibbled on the food at work...a few fries here, a few nuggets there...Since working at McDonalds for over a year I have gained around 15kgs. I really want to loose that weight but I find it so hard to do so. Any suggestions would be welcome.
    I know what you mean. I worked at McDonalds when I was in high school and in College. I too gave into the nibbles. But when I started gaining weight - I started packing lunches and snacks.
    Make sure that you are eating the right type of food at the right time. Protein makes you feel full right away. Have a big glass of water every hour. You need to have something to eat about every three hours. This sounds hard, but if you are packing protein bars, a lettuce and deli meat sandwich, cut up oranges...... Things that take a few minutes to prepare will save your mind and body. You know when you get hungry you can run back very quick and grab a snack. Protein bars are great because you have to chew them do you think you are eating more and it's satisfying your mind of I NEED TO EAT and you get the protein and you feel full right away. It takes 20 minutes for the tummy to tell the brain, HEY I AM FULL. so make sure that you get snacks that you can run back and eat, take the time to prepare them, drink more water and try to have a meal before you get to work. It's hard being surrounded by food all day! I know, been there, done that. You can do this.
  • rc322
    rc322 Posts: 22
    Options
    Try drinking protein shakes before hand, and do what the rest said..keep snacks at work...work out hard before you work and then if you do want to nibble a nugget it won't undo your day but yeah self control also..you can do it :-) maybe use a photo of a smokin hot bod to motivate you...use it as a screen shot/saver on your phone!
  • merecard
    Options
    Chew gum. It sounds like you are not talking about breaks, but just quick walk-bys. If that's the case, chewing gum may cut some of the grabsies out. At least tiding you over until you can make a good food decision, or get you to break or whatever.

I have gum after I eat, or go brush my teeth if I can. The fresh taste in your mouth signals to the brain. All done! I do this all the time!! Works every time!!
  • merecard
    Options
    My fitness coach always says to me " eat for what you are going to be doing in the next three hours." So eat before you go, have a protein bar (there are hundreds of different ones out there!) I like the Curves one (thick and chewy), Kelloggs (you feel like you are eating more because there is two bars) the watch watchers ones are good too, regular protein ones like they sell in Shoppers Drug Mart (Yes I live in Canada) and many other types. Homemade granola is great. Just make sure you measure your serving portion.
  • NickeeCoco
    NickeeCoco Posts: 130
    Options
    You're not allowed to chew gum when working with food, for those people suggesting that.
  • erinlibke
    erinlibke Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Oh i would be in so much trouble in your shoes. I'm a savoury kinda person and the salty crispy fries would be calling my name. I give in to my cravings for salt and crunch with popcorn- much healthier and still so satisfying. Pop a 100 calorie bag before you go and pull it out when you get those munchies. Another snack I love are CheeCha puffs (in Canada, not sure about other places). They are only 90 cals per 2 cups and come in yummy flavours like Dill Pickle, BBQ, Smokey Bacon, Chili Lime, Cinnamon and Sugar. Maybe sip on a diet coke (feels like a treat without loads of extra calories). I love healthy snacks like veggies and hummous and hard boiled eggs but sometimes when I want something naughty I reach for those above to feel like I am still having a treat. Good Luck to you!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You're going to get fired if somebody catches you eating food without paying for it.

This. You're not supposed to be "nibbling" while you're working. That's called theft.

And if you can't go 4 hours without eating, McDonald's isn't the problem.
  • meeulk
    meeulk Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Protein will help keep you full longer! Can you take a protein shake/smoothie with you into work?
  • MrBryGuy
    MrBryGuy Posts: 115
    Options
    Self control! That's all I can say. If you can keep your self control and try really hard at bringing healthy snacks to work, you'll be fine. I always have something healthy with me at work in case i get hungry, because i small healthy snack is better than getting a cookie or brownie, etc. You can do it. You just have to find ways to help while you're at work.
  • faith_76
    faith_76 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Parfaits, grilled chicken wraps (picante sauce instead of ranch), do they still have fruit salads? Grilled chicken sandwich w/BBQ sauce. These were my main meals when I worked there.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Control! When I have Mcdonalds I eat the yogurt, grilled chicken no mayo or salad with my own dressing! Take your own food or eat the healthier foods there such as the yogurt, Its all in your control! Dont let it control you! Good luck!
  • AmritaDevika
    AmritaDevika Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    We get meals for free when you do late night or over night. So can't into trouble because they actually allow it.
  • AmritaDevika
    Options
    Also I'm in Australia! We don't have yogurt...but it would be awesome if we did. Last night I had a grilled chicken salad. Though sadly I ended up with an upset tummy around 10pm. I think maybe the chicken haden't been cooked right. Also gum is not allowed. I nibbled on some Cruskits during my shift whiched helped out a bit. At Midnight when I finished I managed to tie my cravings with a small banana I had bought before work. Did the trick!
    Also nibbling at work is only theft if its not recored. But we record all the food we eat. And like I said, I work nights, we have to waste a lot of food and the Mangers allow us to snack, they do the same thing. But that's away from the main subject...
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I remember before I joined the Navy, I worked fast food for like 5 years. 2 years at good 'ol McDonalds.

It gets rough, when you are surrounded by that food. You have the tendency to get hungry quick and will eat it. As a manager I remember I only ever had enough time to quickly eat my food and it was just so much more convenient to eat their food.

And if you have ever used a Qing Oven (basically an overpowered industrial microwave) to eat up left overs, it always tends to be too hot to eat. Waiting for it to cool down was not an option.

So I feel you, it's even more so tempting when you get it free.

So, I would still recommend bringing food from home. I have no idea what your staffing situation or workload is but if you were like me had barely had any time, bring something that doesn't require to much preparation. (i.e. microwaving)

If you do decide to eat the food. I really don't recommend it, but at the same time, it's not the crap that most people make it out to be. Be very smart about it. There is a movie called, "Fat Head" I'd watch it and see how he did it.
  • rachrach7595
    rachrach7595 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Have planned meal times. No nibbles!
    Have your meal on a break and drink water in between. If your going to eat McDonalds plan ahead and make sure it fits into your calorie allowance for the day.
    I eat out a lot. I have not given up on McDonalds. I tent to lean towards the wraps but honestly they are as bad as a BigMac. I have consistently lost. I avoid the fries and anything deep fried. I drink diet fizzy stuff. If you think you will still be hungry get an extra meat patty on your burger NOT two separate burgers.

Hope that helps :D
  • fheppy
    fheppy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Try having big mac without the buns. Take the two patty, the salad and cheese and the middle bun (only the middle bun). don't eat the covering buns so you eat much less calories. I always do that and it is working for me, and i put half big mac into my diary :D
    unfortunately the nuggets are too salty and make me thirsty :(
    i also like the mcchicken sandwich (with half bun) and that is strangely not so salty than the mcnuggets so try this.
    also you need to avoid coca cola because that makes you hungry often. that is the toughest part...for me at least. so if you can have a small tropicana orange, (they have some bottles here) you can dilute it half tropicana half water it doesn't taste so bad :) so that way the calories per 100ml halved :)
    i think these changes you can easily make however having other food would not work for me its too much to resist.
  • AmritaDevika
    Options
    You've given me some good ideas with that! We have a Grand Angus here. It's a Angus meat patty with all your salads (lettuce, tomato, red onion, cheese and pickles) It would be the perfect burger to do without the bun!
  • Nerdlover12
    Nerdlover12 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I work at a 24 hour McDonald's and the only people that are allowed to just nibble are the managers and only if they are taste checking the freshness of the food and it must be recorded. I have tried bringing my own food but we have no place to store or warm food up. So when I work a 6-8 hour shift I'm gonna get hungry and even though I don't eat the burgers or anything crispy those fries get me after a long day. I've found if I have a shorter shift from 3-4.5 hours that a protein bar right before i start my shift usually lasts until I leave. While I can't buy endless amounts of protein bars right now they do help tide me over until I can get home!