Howdy from Maine

Options
ammp
ammp Posts: 107 Member
Hello everyone. I've been lurking around this site for a little bit - making forum posts here and there, but I figured I should introduce myself properly.
*jumps forward, arms out wide* I'm AMMP - you can call me Ally. I'm 28, live in Maine, and work as a vet tech. I'm married, no kids, tons of pets.
I come from "hearty, big boned stock" (ie, no one was a skinny minnie). Then as a teenager my parents both passed away within 9 months (unrelated causes). That started a spiral of unhealthy eating, poor exercise habits, etc. I worked at fast food joints and restaurants to pay bills while I finished high school and most places give you a discount so I just ate there - bad idea. I didn't participate in high school sports any longer (had to work or study) so physical activity dropped to next to nil.
I guess it could have been worst - I could have become a crack head, become angry at the world, or curled into the fetal position and died. But instead, I ate. I gained roughly 150+ lbs over the last 12 years. I'm not going to whine that I got dealt a crappy hand - we all have reasons not to get out of bed in the morning. Being fat has been my reason to stay home and be pathetic. I'm done with it. I'm tired of shopping in the big girl section, or wondering if the airplane seat belt will cover me. I'm sick of not going to fairs and riding rides, or hoping no one asks me to run up the stairs real quick. I deserve something better that I have given myself and my husband deserves an active partner who will go hiking or kayaking with him. I live in 'vacationland' for cripes sake, there's ton to do here and I need to get doing it!

Replies

• pinkybutterflybaby
    Options
    Good luck on your weightloss journey!
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    WELCOME!

Thank you for the introduction :)

There are a lot of recovering emotional eaters on this site so know that you're not alone. There are a ton of resources out there if you're interested. The book Women Food and God by Geneen Roth was life changing for me (I've binged once since reading it in January of this year). If you're interested, here's an excerpt from Oprah.com:

http://www.oprah.com/health/An-Excerpt-from-Geneen-Roths-Women-Food-And-God

Charmagne
  • CherylFFD
    Options
    Hi Ally, I'm from Maine, too. Welcome, and best of luck on your journey! :)
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yay, more Mainers!!! Welcome to the site. It is an awesome place, especially now that the season is changing and there is officially snow on the ground. Best of luck in your journey. Look forward to following you along the way!
  • becky2time
    Options
    Howdy, and good luck to you!
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Good for you! To do stuff with your husband is just beautiful.
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Where are you in Maine? I was born way up north, and have family there.
  • ammp
    ammp Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Where are you in Maine? I was born way up north, and have family there.

Bangor - moved around a bit, but was born here and moved back here for no real reason lol