exercise /food delema

Options
Help! i have been walking 1.5 miles a day 6 days a week, eating 800-1200 calories a day. and in the last 3 weeks...no loss....no inches changed...i am at a loss. i dont salt anything. i drink water like crazy. no soda/caffene. kept thinking..plateau...after 3 weeks...not so sure what to think. i walk in the mornings and have a sedentary desk job and after working all day ( Idont get lunch or breaks durring the day) and a commute i am exausted. usually can get 1/2 mile more. i dont eat after 6 pm unless it is skim milk and a hershey kiss at bedtime (medication time) any ideas? i feel like im running in reverse!:sad:

Replies

• mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Why would you only eat 800 calories a day?

Under-eating.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough.
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Not eating enough?
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Only 35 pounds to lose, eating 800 calories a day. Hmmmm. Unless you are under the care of a doctor - that's not enough food for an adult.

Read this link and it will be very helpful in getting you started.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

ETA: I will be 56 this month. I have lost over 100 pounds, in the last 2 years, eating between 1500 - 1700 calories a day. I strongly encourage you to read the link above. We (people our age) were raised on the premise that you had to starve to lose. It is SO not correct.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Help! i have been walking 1.5 miles a day 6 days a week, eating 800-1200 calories a day. and in the last 3 weeks...no loss....no inches changed...i am at a loss. i dont salt anything. i drink water like crazy. no soda/caffene. kept thinking..plateau...after 3 weeks...not so sure what to think. i walk in the mornings and have a sedentary desk job and after working all day ( Idont get lunch or breaks durring the day) and a commute i am exausted. usually can get 1/2 mile more. i dont eat after 6 pm unless it is skim milk and a hershey kiss at bedtime (medication time) any ideas? i feel like im running in reverse!:sad:

Where are you from, no lunch or breaks is against the law in most countries? I can see this happening once in awhile if you are salary and things get busy, but not every day.

Of course you are exhausted at the end of the day. You are not eating enough.

Why not eat after 6pm? No eating after 6 is a fallacy. Your body needs a certain amount of calories to function and if you can't eat them during the day then you need to eat them at night. Your body doesn't care about timing of food when it comes to fueling its basic needs. There are some other things that may be depended on timing of meals, but not your basic functions.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Eat more
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Only 35 pounds to lose, eating 800 calories a day. Hmmmm. Unless you are under the care of a doctor - that's not enough food for an adult.

Read this link and it will be very helpful in getting you started.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Yes, please read this. You're going about the whole process wrong and could potentially harm your health. You're likely only netting 600-800 calories per day, which isn't enough for your body to do the normal things it needs to do to function. It might be a good idea to see a dietitian to help you figure out a plan that will help you get the calories and nutrients you need and still help you lose weight if you feel like you need to.

And I agree with the poster who said it's likely illegal for you to get no breaks throughout the day if you're working full-time.
  • gieshagirl
    gieshagirl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    school nurse in Arkansas....diabetic students = no lunch or breaks.....if i chose to leave the building or such for lunch...they will be on the cell, or at my car with issues (usually involving an ambulance. the drama is constant from the time the students arive until the last one is on the bus to go home. (high school nurse). and yes, salary position. one of the perks with the job though is summer off with pay.
  • gieshagirl
    Options
    that is what i thought....under eating.....boosted it to 1200 (which was recomended by doctor) and BAM...gained 2 pounds in 1 week and took 2 weeks to get it to budge! i had weight loss surgery 22 years ago and lost from 360 to 150 and stayed there for 20 years. i got pneumonia 2 years ago and with all the antibiotics/steroids meds (2years worth!) i found myself at 190 with a low metabolism and high weight. i want to get this under control as fast as possible but the rules of my body seem to have changed. i am going to try again to increase the caloric intake but the increased activity to cover that seems impossible! help please!:cry:
  • Lauren5280
    Lauren5280 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you're not being truthful to yourself about how many calories you're actually consuming. There is no way you're netting 800-1200 calories and not losing weight. It just isn't possible. Your body will let go of the weight. There is no such thing as a fat anorexic. And that's what you're talking about. Buy a food scale and start weighing everything. My guess is you'll find your consuming more than you think.
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I, too, experienced a gain when I'd been under-eating for a few weeks because my metabolism was shot to hell. It took some time to get it to realize we weren't starving and normalize. You are not eating enough. Period. And even as a school nurse, you should be able to get 10 minutes to eat something. And if you aren't eating during the day, please, good lord, eat in the evening. It's truly, honestly, goodnessy ok to eat after 6 pm.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    that is what i thought....under eating.....boosted it to 1200 (which was recomended by doctor) and BAM...gained 2 pounds in 1 week and took 2 weeks to get it to budge! i had weight loss surgery 22 years ago and lost from 360 to 150 and stayed there for 20 years. i got pneumonia 2 years ago and with all the antibiotics/steroids meds (2years worth!) i found myself at 190 with a low metabolism and high weight. i want to get this under control as fast as possible but the rules of my body seem to have changed. i am going to try again to increase the caloric intake but the increased activity to cover that seems impossible! help please!:cry:

what kind of WLS???? RNY Sleeve LAp Band? are you getting proteins? have you had you iron/calcium/b12 checked???
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you're not being truthful to yourself about how many calories you're actually consuming. There is no way you're netting 800-1200 calories and not losing weight. It just isn't possible. Your body will let go of the weight. There is no such thing as a fat anorexic. And that's what you're talking about. Buy a food scale and start weighing everything. My guess is you'll find your consuming more than you think.

I get so tired of seeing that. She may be under-reporting, but it is 100% possible to eff up your metabolism in the short term and have no weight loss or even weight gain when you undereat. Yes, eventually, you will lose weight no matter what, but the body will attempt to slow metabolism and conserve energy and fat for awhile before it lets go. I didn't get the impression she'd been eating 800 calories for months on end and not showing any weight loss. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it seemed more like it's not going fast enough, so she further reduced calories and is now freaked out because it's not working, which is right in sync with a short-term slow metabolism.
  • gieshagirl
    Options
    Good Grief!! i had no Idea!!! i am going to have to revamp everything!!! thank you for the link! tons of information and a great outline of tools to check yourself and your levels!! thanks again:flowerforyou:
  • Lauren5280
    Lauren5280 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

I get so tired of seeing that. She may be under-reporting, but it is 100% possible to eff up your metabolism in the short term and have no weight loss or even weight gain when you undereat. Yes, eventually, you will lose weight no matter what, but the body will attempt to slow metabolism and conserve energy and fat for awhile before it lets go. I didn't get the impression she'd been eating 800 calories for months on end and not showing any weight loss. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it seemed more like it's not going fast enough, so she further reduced calories and is now freaked out because it's not working, which is right in sync with a short-term slow metabolism.

It is more likely that shes under-reporting. It is the most common problem with plateaus.
  • gieshagirl
    Options
    it was the Rue n Y stomach stapling with reroute (i have 5 foot of bowls that get no gastic juices and cant digest.) i dont absorb fats and sugars for the most part related to the rerouting. the only thing that i really have to watch is B vit. because they are fat soluable and i dont absorb it well. at one point a year ago my hemaglobin and hematricrit were 5.9/15 (normal is 24/42. i really have to push the b vitamins to keep the levels up. my metabolism was so messed up back then , i was walking 5 miles per day/7days a week, swimming laps for 1 hour 5 days a week and 800-1000 cal. a day....and i was steady gaining. my doctor back then stated that i had the slowest metabolism he had ever seen. until 2 years ago i was very active and then i got sick and it took 2 years of steroids/antibiotics to get me over being sick....and no endurance or energy!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I had pneumonia in the fall and then bronchitis last month. It can be tough. I'm just able to exercise now.
    As for no lunch or break-I also work in the schools.
    Take something with it and eat it. A bar, applesauce cup, sandwhich. Just anything.

You need to be a good role model for your students. Imagine the crisis if they skipped lunch.

Yes you need to eat 1200 cal.
    Does your high school have a weight room? Exercise bike? Perhaps you can get creative and burn calories at work.
  • player30
    player30 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    In mid January, I joined MFP. At first I was eating 1400 calories plus some of my exercise calories. I started losing. Then I started excercising more while trying to eat only 1400 calories a day. I started gaining. So frustrating! So last week I decided to up my calories to 1700-1900 (my BMR is 1560). I average a a 3800 calorie burn a week. Since I raised my calories I have lost back to MFP loss number plus 2.2# that I have not recorded yet.

When I was eating the lower calories, I didn't get hunger pangs. Now that I raised them, I do. My body is now telling me I am hungry rather than assuming it has to make it on what it was getting. Check your BMR & make sure you eat calories above it, and if you are excercise add back a portion of those.