Eating well & working out, stomach gets bigger

Options
I am 5'8", 120 lbs, an have a small frame. I have no interest in losing weight, my only concern is that my stomach consistently looks like I am 5 months pregnant. I have little fat on the rest of my body, however I have D sized breasts and my stomach sticks out farther than they do!

I eat clean, non-processed foods (usually oatmeal and fruit in the morning, lean meat and vegetables for lunch and dinner, and snacks of nuts, fruit or veggies throughout the day when I get hungry). I am usually around 1600 - 1800 calories a day. My work outs are not super intense since I am not aiming to lose weight. Usually 15-20 minutes of running and some basic weights (squats, dead lifts, etc.)

No matter what changes I make, I can not seem to pinpoint the problem of always seeming bloated. I've upped my water intake (was originally around 6 glasses a day) and I've tried cutting out gluten. I'm not sure what the problem is. Please help!

Replies

• mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Well...you cant predict where fat will fall off...so I would suggest to keep at it, eventually it will have to burn the fat in your stomach.
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    In for answers. I'm in the same situation
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a heavy weigh program like Stronglifts 5x5 while eating around or a very small amount below maintenance since you have no desire to lose weight. It should help with body recomposition. Eating higher protein would also be a good idea.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    make use of your abdominal muscles. I'm pretty fit and trim...but if I let my abdominal muscle fully relax, I can easily look like a 40 year old pregnant woman.

also bloat is a *****...
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    You are underweight. If you have a lot of fat, then you need to focus on building muscle. There is also a chance that you are undernourished, which can lead to bloating.
  • this1bigdog
    this1bigdog Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I've heard that certain people can develop allergies to wheat(gluten) after age of 20, and develop digestion problems . .maybe try going gluten free for 2-3 weeks and see what happens . .
  • hugamime
    hugamime Posts: 11
    Options
    You are underweight. If you have a lot of fat, then you need to focus on building muscle. There is also a chance that you are undernourished, which can lead to bloating.

Any advice on how to eat more or what to eat? I feel like I eat fairly regularly throughout the day. I make a large amount of roasted veggies in the morning to snack on throughout the day and bring fruit and nuts in my purse when I go out. I'd say I'm eating something every two to three hours most days.
  • hugamime
    Options
    I've heard that certain people can develop allergies to wheat(gluten) after age of 20, and develop digestion problems . .maybe try going gluten free for 2-3 weeks and see what happens . .

That's originally what I had thought, but I went gluten free for a month and saw no changes.
  • hugamime
    Options
    I would suggest a heavy weigh program like Stronglifts 5x5 while eating around or a very small amount below maintenance since you have no desire to lose weight. It should help with body recomposition. Eating higher protein would also be a good idea.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try to incorporate more protein throughout the day and check out that Stronglifts
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options

^this
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

Any advice on how to eat more or what to eat? I feel like I eat fairly regularly throughout the day. I make a large amount of roasted veggies in the morning to snack on throughout the day and bring fruit and nuts in my purse when I go out. I'd say I'm eating something every two to three hours most days.

Eating vegetables and nuts every few hours?? That is not a well rounded or healthy diet. Incorporate some protein in your diet. You haven't specified that you are vegan, so that's as simple as adding meat (chicken, shrimp, fish are options). You can also add full fat dairy for a higher calorie-to-volume ratio if you are feeling too full. If all else fails, drink your calories. A glass of juice or full fat milk (add a scoop of protein powder to the milk).

To get rid of the fat belly look, I suggest doing all of the above and adding full body heavy weight training 3 days per week (check out the book New Rules of Lifting for Women or online programs like Stronglifts). Your goal should be to GAIN 0.5-1 pounds per week if you are doing a good lifting program.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are doing pretty well. Nuts are high in fat, and so is meat. You could try and swap those out for something with a lesser calorie density. Also, how much green leafy veg are you getting? Try having a BIG salad every night.

Do you exercise? Good exercises for body fat include weight training, jogging, walking and cycling.
  • hugamime
    Options

Eating vegetables and nuts every few hours?? That is not a well rounded or healthy diet. Incorporate some protein in your diet. You haven't specified that you are vegan, so that's as simple as adding meat (chicken, shrimp, fish are options). You can also add full fat dairy for a higher calorie-to-volume ratio if you are feeling too full. If all else fails, drink your calories. A glass of juice or full fat milk (add a scoop of protein powder to the milk).

To get rid of the fat belly look, I suggest doing all of the above and adding full body heavy weight training 3 days per week (check out the book New Rules of Lifting for Women or online programs like Stronglifts). Your goal should be to GAIN 0.5-1 pounds per week if you are doing a good lifting program.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. My original post mentioned my meals (lean meat and vegetables) and this reply just mentioned what my snacks throughout the day are.
  • hugamime
    Options
    Looks like you are doing pretty well. Nuts are high in fat, and so is meat. You could try and swap those out for something with a lesser calorie density. Also, how much green leafy veg are you getting? Try having a BIG salad every night.

Do you exercise? Good exercises for body fat include weight training, jogging, walking and cycling.

I LOVE veggies, so that's what the majority of my diet consists of. Salads, brussels sprouts, broccoli, asparagus, green beans, bell peppers, carrots, and the occasional sweet potato.

I do exercise regularly, but really just for maintenance. Running a mile or two and doing weight training 4-5 days a week.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

<---After having two very large babies while I was obese.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

I LOVE veggies, so that's what the majority of my diet consists of. Salads, brussels sprouts, broccoli, asparagus, green beans, bell peppers, carrots, and the occasional sweet potato.

I do exercise regularly, but really just for maintenance. Running a mile or two and doing weight training 4-5 days a week.
    Seems like you are doing really well. It might just be a matter of swapping out a higher density food for a lower density one. Do you consume vegetable oils? They are the most concentrated source of calories on the planet, and it's very easy to get too much.
  • hugamime
    Options

Seems like you are doing really well. It might just be a matter of swapping out a higher density food for a lower density one. Do you consume vegetable oils? They are the most concentrated source of calories on the planet, and it's very easy to get too much.

I do use EVOO when roasting veggies. Maybe I'll try cutting back and see if it makes a change. Thanks!
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    In for responses and advice

but also.....have you ever been 5 months pregnant? You only have your profile pic, and given your stats of 5'8", 120, and 26 yrs old, you seem like a very beautiful woman! (just sayin') I wonder if the way your stomach looks to you is really in your head.....you probably look great in a bikini and no one else probably thinks you look preggo.

Me on the other hand? I've been pregnant to full term, twice. And have had people ask if I was when I wasn't. I know what a big gut looks like on an otherwise small body.

You seem to have some great advice here, and already a good routine and outlook- keep on trucking and doin' your thang!
  • joshirie
    joshirie Posts: 2
    Options
    At the risk of repeating something someone else has already suggested, I will make this short.

One area of the human body that is often overlooked is the gut. Having waste in your intestine can cause the problems that you describe. You eat plenty of foods that contain fiber but trust me when I say, doing so is often not enough. In my opinion, the only thing that you should change is your eating habit. The change should be limited to adding a fiber supplement such as Konsyl, Benefiber or Metamucil to your diet. These supplements should not cause extreme changes in your bowel movement e.g. diarrhea but can increase flatulence. Since you enjoy vegetables such a broccoli, you probably will not notice a significant change in this arena (flatulence) either.

Good luck to you but remember, if all else fails, consult your medical doctor. javascript:add_smiley('smile','post_body')