soda streams

Options
Just wondering how these are? Wanting to up my water intake , and thought this would help.

Replies

• Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Soda stream just makes soda.

It would be like (EXACTLY LIKE, because you are) drinking soda.

Which does not count as water.
  • April_KT
    April_KT Posts: 332 Member
    Options

+1
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    We have one that well we do use for soda. But if you prefer sparkling water to plain you can still zap it without adding cordial. Probably just as easy to buy bottles in the store though.
  • susie3g
    susie3g Posts: 267
    Options
    Just wondering how these are? Wanting to up my water intake , and thought this would help.

I have a soda stream. I used to use it all the time, but since I've started trying to live a healthier lifestyle, I've actually put it away in the back of the cabinet. While soda does serve to hydrate, it also has high levels of sugar, acid, stuff that does damage to my body besides my waistline. Have you given any thought to sugar-free drink mixes, lemon or apples in your water?
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options

Yep. The only benefit is that they have more natural mixes now but it is still soda. They also have flavored water mixes you can add too if you're a fan of sparkling water (which I am). If I am craving soda, that's my substitute - sparkling water.
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I have a soda stream to carbonate my water - it only turns into soda if you add the soda syrups. I like to drink sparkling water rather than plain water and the soda stream was a more economical and environmentally friendly option than buying cases and cases of carbonated water. I love it.
  • arenad
    arenad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I agree, it's just like drinking soda. When I first started drinking water I would add a drop or two of lemon juice. Did that for a while. Now I can just drink plain water. Actually had rather have that than anything else. You can do it!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options

+1

Actually, you can just make bubbly water which is what I do...I used to buy tons of Pellegrino and I'm saving a small fortune with my soda stream. You have to add the syrups to make actual soda. I've never done that...occasionally I will add a splash of grapefruit juice or orange juice to my bubbly water, but that's about it and usually only as an alternative to drinking cocktails during the week and staying sober...
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I agree, it's just like drinking soda. When I first started drinking water I would add a drop or two of lemon juice. Did that for a while. Now I can just drink plain water. Actually had rather have that than anything else. You can do it!!

Agreed. I can't really even stand to have anything too sweet/strong anymore since I started drinking 95% water. Even store bought flavored water gets diluted with more water so I can drink it.
  • jade_222
    jade_222 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have one too and you can use it for sparkling water or add anything you want. You can add fruit for flavour, or by Crystal Lights and add it. You can even add a bit of juice. They're really good if you loved pop (which I did) and stopped drinking it because of all of the sugar. If I feel a pop craving coming on I just make sparkling water and add some Crystal Light. I even tried lemon wedges and it worked pretty good.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options

^ This. I do have one however and I really like the Diet Cola. The nice thing about it is that it does not contain Aspartame which is the only reason I use it. That being said, I only drink the stuff as a treat and mainly stick with good ol' H20.
  • shoeshoe21
    Options
    We bought a Soda Stream for Christmas and I use it make sparkling water...I find it easier to drink sparkling water, than regular still water. I don't use the Soda Stream for and 'sodas' even though our kit came with cola, and some children's vitamin rich drinks.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options

+1

Actually, you can just make bubbly water which is what I do...I used to buy tons of Pellegrino and I'm saving a small fortune with my soda stream. You have to add the syrups to make actual soda. I've never done that...occasionally I will add a splash of grapefruit juice or orange juice to my bubbly water, but that's about it and usually only as an alternative to drinking cocktails during the week and staying sober...

Sure, but it didn't seem like that was the OPs original intention. By all means if bubbly water is your preference go for it.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about this exact same thing. I buy sparkling water by the case and it's ridiculously expensive. So you'd say the soda stream was a good investment?
  • mommyof4cpa
    mommyof4cpa Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have a soda stream to carbonate my water - it only turns into soda if you add the soda syrups. I like to drink sparkling water rather than plain water and the soda stream was a more economical and environmentally friendly option than buying cases and cases of carbonated water. I love it.

^
    |
    |
    This.

For a bit of flavor, I sometimes add some 100% cranberry juice (approx 1 Tablespoon) or add lemon/lime slices or wedges.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    I've been wondering about this exact same thing. I buy sparkling water by the case and it's ridiculously expensive. So you'd say the soda stream was a good investment?

For my wife and I it was...we were going through a couple cases of Pellegrino per week. She's always been a bubbly water drinker and I adopted it as an alternative to the numerous sodas I used to drink on a daily basis. I also drink it with just a splash of some fruit juice during the work week as an alternative to the numerous cocktails I used to drink nightly.

It's been a good move for me in all respects.