Black Bean Tomato Stew - Protein!

Options
Ninetta
Ninetta Posts: 71 Member
Hi All,

I thought I would share what I made last night with just the ingredients already stalked in my pantry

1 Can Primo Black Beans - Rinsed
1 Can Primo Whole Tomatoes
1 Clove Garlic
1 Tbsp Spanish Onion
1/2 Tsp Chilies
1 Tbsp Frozen Parsley
1/2 Cup Water (Optional)
1/2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Cup Carrots Chopped
½ Cup Frozen Corn

- In a deep pan/wok, heat olive olive - add garlic, chilies, onion and satay
- Add tomatoes (break them down with a spoon), carrots, corn and simmer for 2 minutes
- Stir in black beans and add parsley - Let simmer for 5 min
- Add water (if you prefer more broth)
- Simmer for another 10-15 until you reach your desired consistency. I prefer to not cook the veggies until they are soft, I like a little crunch plus it keeps more nutritional value.

A cup and a half serving is roughly:
Calories: 210
Carbs: 38
Protein: 13
Iron: 19
Calcium: 17
Fat: 5 (4g from the olive oil and 1g from the black beans)

Feel free to use other ingredients and add them individually to you food diary for a more accurate calculation of nutritional value using your ingredients.

:)

Replies

• MistyRose0424
    MistyRose0424 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing sounds good I was just trying to think of a different dinner to make that has no meat in it this will do great :flowerforyou:
  • mommyallison2011
    mommyallison2011 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i have been looking at maybe replacing meat but my boys would go crazy sounds wonderful though thank you for the share
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Reading this thread title makes me want a black bean burrito. And that's terrible because there's not way in h3ll I'll get a decent one down here.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Reading this thread title makes me want a black bean burrito. And that's terrible because there's not way in h3ll I'll get a decent one down here.

New place that opened near me has really good ones. We should do lunch there one day and you can tell me how it compares. It's not like most of the other Mexican places in Oz.
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options

New place that opened near me has really good ones. We should do lunch there one day and you can tell me how it compares. It's not like most of the other Mexican places in Oz.

I would be interested in that. But so far Australia has come up short for mexican food. It just doesn't have the cultural expertise available.
  • livinmyhappilyeverafter
    Options
    Thank you :smile:
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Looks good!
  • Ninetta
    Ninetta Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Here's another one of my recipies:

BBQ Bean & Rice Burrito

Ingredients:
    1 can Black Beans (or whatever bean or lentil you like)
    1 cup Cooked Rice
    2 tbsp BBQ Sauce of your choice (or to taste)
    1 tsp Chopped Cilantro (optional)
    1 Clove Garlic – Chopped finely
    Green Onion/Chives – Chopped
    Burrito Wraps
    Ranch
    Grated Cheese
    Salsa

Instruction:
    1. Open can of beans, place some of the bean liquid in the preheated pan. Once the liquid is warm/hot, put in chopped clove of garlic and stir.
    2. Rinse beans till water is clear, and place in warm pan. Add desired amount of BBQ sauce. Not too much cause it’s full of sugar ;)
    3. While beans are simmering on low, make you rice (I use minute rise so the timing works out well)
    4. Chop cilantro and set aside (optional). When rice is ready stir this in there.
    5. You should have your burrito wrap ready, lettuce (optional), grated cheese, salsa and ranch ready.
    6. Once beans are at the consistency you like (should take 10 min or so) take them off the heat.
    7. Start adding what you want in your burrito and it’s done!

I keep the leftovers in my fridge. The beans and rice can be packed together. Makes for an extremely quick and easy lunch or supper!!

**To make this healthier, I would eliminate the rice, ranch and cheese and replace the ranch with a homemade vegan ranch and the cheese with soy cheese. I've even elimated the wrap and just made this into a salad!! - SO GOOD**

Enjoy
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Thanks