Want to make sure I'm eating correct amount of calories

Options
I am 18 years old, 5'3, and weigh about 187 lbs. right now. I just want to make sure that I am eating the correct amount of calories to lose weight; I am currently eating 1330 a day. I just tried a few different online TDEE and BMR calculators and they said my BMR is about 1680 and my TDEE is about 2383. Am i supposed to eat around the BMR number or is the amount of calories I am eating okay? I have been fine staying within my calorie goal and a lot of the time I am under. I just would like to know if it would be better to eat more than 1330 for me to lose weight more efficiently or just stay where I am? And if anyone has a recommended site that is reliable for calculating BMR and TDEE that would be nice to make sure I am calculating it correctly.

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    If your BMR is around 1680, 1330 calories a day is NOT enough. YOur BMR is how many calories your body needs to function (ex, if you were in a coma, you'd need 1680 to breathe, pump blood, etc). You should eat 10-20% less than your TDEE to lose weight, and never less than your BMR.
  • kshadows
    Options
    I am 18 years old, 5'3, and weigh about 187 lbs. right now. I just want to make sure that I am eating the correct amount of calories to lose weight; I am currently eating 1330 a day. I just tried a few different online TDEE and BMR calculators and they said my BMR is about 1680 and my TDEE is about 2383. Am i supposed to eat around the BMR number or is the amount of calories I am eating okay? I have been fine staying within my calorie goal and a lot of the time I am under. I just would like to know if it would be better to eat more than 1330 for me to lose weight more efficiently or just stay where I am? And if anyone has a recommended site that is reliable for calculating BMR and TDEE that would be nice to make sure I am calculating it correctly.

How much weight do you have to lose? How did you calculate your TDEE? (with the exercise you currently do or not?)

This is a good site to calculate on: http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bmr/
  • erind2017
    erind2017 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for your response! Will eating at my BMR help with weight loss better? I started last September and stopped during the holidays and got off track, but I lost 16 lbs. during that time. I started back at the end of January and have only lost 2 ibs. since then. Do you think this is because I haven't been eating enough calories?
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I would look at the number MFP gives you, or your TDEE - 20%.

Edit - 1,330 seems VERY low, btw.
  • HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Eat with what you're comfortable eating around. If you're eating 1330 calories a day and you feel fine, stick with that. If you're wanting to retain muscle, be sure to up your protein macros though.
  • HerpDerp745
    Options
    Thank you very much for your response! Will eating at my BMR help with weight loss better?

It will, but keep in mind weight doesn't equal fat loss.
  • erind2017
    Options

How much weight do you have to lose? How did you calculate your TDEE? (with the exercise you currently do or not?)

This is a good site to calculate on: http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bmr/

Thanks. I still have about 40-50 lbs. to lose. I used a few different sites to calculate it and for the exercise part I put that I do moderate exercise (3-5 days a week) since there are days where I don't have the time.
  • kshadows
    Options
    For anyone that said "eat what you feel like", sure, eat 1200 or 1300 or 1600 or WHATEVER. Will you lose weight on 1300 a day? Yep. But you'll be losing lean muscle and it won't be sustainable weight loss. Eating at LEAST your BMR but less than your TDEE will help you lose weight and facilitate fat loss.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Either do your TDEE minus between 10% and 20% or go with what MFP gives you, but you need to be sure you're giving MFP the correct information before it calculates your deficit. Everyone sets it to lose 2 pounds a week, but that's usually too aggressive for most people and it can give you an unreasonably low daily total. Here are some general guidelines:

If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,

Based on your current weight, try setting it to 1 pound per week and seeing what that gives you.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Either do your TDEE minus between 10% and 20% or go with what MFP gives you, but you need to be sure you're giving MFP the correct information before it calculates your deficit. Everyone sets it to lose 2 pounds a week, but that's usually too aggressive for most people and it can give you an unreasonably low daily total. Here are some general guidelines:

If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,

Based on your current weight, try setting it to 1 pound per week and seeing what that gives you.

This and invest in a food scale for weighing out what you eat. Second only to picking an appropriate calorie goal is tracking everything as ACCURATELY as possible. Eye balling all the time won't cut it and really, measuring cups and spoons aren't that great either.
  • erind2017
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your responses. I have been confused about all this but have been worried about upping my calories. I will check out some of the calculators you guys have suggested and up my calories to go with my BMR.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Eat with what you're comfortable eating around. If you're eating 1330 calories a day and you feel fine, stick with that. If you're wanting to retain muscle, be sure to up your protein macros though.

Stop giving bad advice!!!
  • erind2017
    Options
    This and invest in a food scale for weighing out what you eat. Second only to picking an appropriate calorie goal is tracking everything as ACCURATELY as possible. Eye balling all the time won't cut it and really, measuring cups and spoons aren't that great either.

I do use a food scale, but usually just for meats. I will start to use it for other things because I have been reading lately that measuring cups are not very accurate for solids.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options

Seriously! That is absolutely too low, ESPECIALLY if she is also exercising .-.
    That's like telling an anorexic "meh, if you're comfortable with it."
    (Not calling OP anorexic, btw!)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    It it makes you nervous, you can gradually walk up your calories (add 50-100 more per day the first week, then another 50-100 the second, etc.). Depending on how long you've been at 1330, you might see a little fluctuation right at the beginning. It's almost always water retention and it's totally normal. Take measurements for those weeks if you aren't already so you can see that you're not actually getting bigger even if the scale goes up/down a little bit. Good luck!
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    As a teenager (yes 18 is a teenager) your body is still developing so you need more than someone who is, say, 25+. Definitely eat at least your BMR!!!
  • HerpDerp745
    Options
    Seriously! That is absolutely too low, ESPECIALLY if she is also exercising .-.
    That's like telling an anorexic "meh, if you're comfortable with it."
    (Not calling OP anorexic, btw!)

Please explain how this is bad advice.
  • HerpDerp745
    Options

Please explain.
  • erind2017
    Options
    So I just adjusted my goals on MFP and it still recommends I eat 1,490 calories. Should I just change it to match my BMR?
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and started at 170.2, they gave me 1200 calories a day. I lost all my weight on that.