Salad Dressing - need help

Options
I'm stuck finding a good tasting lower - to low fat Salad Dressing for my salads. Any ideas or home recipes you can share?

Replies

• orange_avocado
    Options
    If you can't find a low cal dressing you like, try this tip: Ask for your preferred dressing on the side, then dip your fork into the dressing before spearing your salad.

Doing it this way, I almost never use more than a tablespoon, and you get tons of flavor. I think dressing gets a bad rep because you end up pouring tons on to coat every leaf. This was you get all the dressing you want in every bite, and use less!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You can make your own ranch dressing using a packet of ranch mix, Greek yogurt and low fat milk.
  • slansdown
    Options
    This is one of the easier most low fat and healthy things I have heard. Take a big handful of the salad you have made and put it in the blender. throw in spices and herbs. This will make a nice salad dressing. to make it more creamy you can add a dash of corn starch or flour something.

good luck.
  • Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Options
    I actually like using full-fat homemade salad dressings because you get some good healthy fats and they're flavorful so you don't have to use as much. I also like pouring a little balsamic vinegar with just a dash of olive oil overtop.

Here's an easy recipe that I love:

1 part oil (typically olive, but flaxseed, corn, vegetable or salad oil also works)
    1 part lemon juice
    1 part dijon mustard, or to taste (add more juice if you go short. I prefer dijon but this also works with low-fat honey mustard)
    pinch each salt, pepper and white pepper (can skip this if you don't have it)

Just whisk with a fork and enjoy!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I use the Wishbone Salad Spritzers (Italian) - 10 sprays (way more than enough for a good sized salad) has 10 calories, 1 gram of fat, and 100 mg of sodium. I then sprinkle a bunch of nutritional yeast on top and it is SOOOO yummy.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    does it have to be low fat? I use olive oil, mustard red wine vinegar, herbs and dilute some (but not much) water in........ delicious, satisfying and you dont need loads
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    This dressing sounds great and I have all these ingred. at home. I'll give it a try.
  • hopewms
    Options
    I have started using 25-year Barrel-Aged Balsamic Vinegar. It's from Williams-Sonoma. It's a little expensive ($24) but it lasts a few months and it is absolutely delicious. I always used to use creamy dressings but someone had me try this and its wonderful. And, its only 14 calories per tablespoon!!! I can't do other types of balsamic vinegar, though. I've tried a couple brands and they don't compare.
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    oh i got a good one...there is this dressing i like that is a yogurt based like parmesan caesar from Marie's or something like that and it is 25 cals for 1 tablespoon, so what i do is make my salad then pour on some balsalmic vinegar (which is practically zero cals) then 1 tbs of the dressing and mix it up- its great cuz its only 25 cals for the dressing and adding it to the vinegar makes it stretch...so its wonderful
  • justyourtypicalgirl
    Options
    I'm a big fan of just using lime juice, salt, and fresh cracked pepper.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I do several things:
    1) use the salad spritzers
    2) use ONE TBSP of my favorite dressing, put in a container with my salad and shake shake shake
    3) use Salsa
    4) dip my fork in my dressing then spear my salad. you get the flavor without using a ton of dressing
  • candlegal
    candlegal Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I just discovered Litehouse dressings for salad. I've only tried Lite Salsa Ranch(dressing & dip) It is super tasty!!! Only 60 calories per 2tbsp. Sodium is 220mg, sugar is 2g and fat is 5g so not too bad. They are kept in the refridgerator section of the Produce dept. I highly recommend them. Even though I have only tried one, I will be trying more.:bigsmile:
  • JillTwiss
    JillTwiss Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My coworker uses plain balsamic on her salads. It's like 5 calories per tablespoon or something like that. I don't like it personally but she loves it.

I have definitely found that if I use a BIG bowl and mix it all up really well, I need far less dressing. I think I'll try dipping the fork in the dressing. That sounds like a good idea.

I also like to use salsa mixed with fat-free sour cream and throw in some black beans.

The only store-bought low-calorie or low-fat dressing I can tolerate is the fat-free Italian. I think the cream dressings when made fat-free are just disgusting, the ranch or caesar or bleu cheese. Some people like them but I hate them.
  • wispykrispy
    wispykrispy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms creamy yogurt dressing - Classic Ranch. It's in the refrigerated section and has no preservatives or MSG (which is really difficult to find in a ranch dressing). Only 70 calories for TWO tbsps and I dont think I ever use that much. Great if you love ranch.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I put lime juice in a spray bottle and spritz it on my salads. Then, I use Mrs. Dash and sprinkle on top. With the variety of seasonings that MD has, you can have quite a number of choices. My fave is the Fiesta Lime!!
    Not only do I do that, I don't even log it because there really isn't anything to log. Even better, sodium free!! :)
  • JillTwiss
    JillTwiss Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms creamy yogurt dressing - Classic Ranch. It's in the refrigerated section and has no preservatives or MSG (which is really difficult to find in a ranch dressing). Only 70 calories for TWO tbsps and I dont think I ever use that much. Great if you love ranch.
    Oooh, I might have to try that.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I have started using 25-year Barrel-Aged Balsamic Vinegar. It's from Williams-Sonoma. It's a little expensive ($24) but it lasts a few months and it is absolutely delicious. I always used to use creamy dressings but someone had me try this and its wonderful. And, its only 14 calories per tablespoon!!! I can't do other types of balsamic vinegar, though. I've tried a couple brands and they don't compare.

I do like the William - Sonoma products. Also just had a Trader Joe's open up in my area so may go out an look over what they have available. I have some balsamic - and like you, the cheaper variety is not as tasty.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I put lime juice in a spray bottle and spritz it on my salads. Then, I use Mrs. Dash and sprinkle on top. With the variety of seasonings that MD has, you can have quite a number of choices. My fave is the Fiesta Lime!!
    Not only do I do that, I don't even log it because there really isn't anything to log. Even better, sodium free!! :)

That is a great idea! I might try that sometime.
  • msamcoates
    msamcoates Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I use either a fresh lemon with salt and pepper or vinegar with salt and pepper.
  • susu5
    susu5 Posts: 122
    Options
    I use the spritzers. They are great! But I am going to try dipping my fork in salad dressing. Also the idea of putting your salad in a bowl and putting one tablespoon of salad dressing in it and then put a lid on the salad and shake it!!