counting macros - necessary for fat loss?

I know it's been asked time and time again, but I'm really hoping someone can shed some light on the whole macro thing for me. I couldn't find any responses relevant to my question. I know counting macros is not necessary for weight loss, but is it necessary if you only want to reduce BF% and change your body composition? Is it the only way (aside from strength training) to preserve LBM while maximizing fat loss?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• Snap355
    Snap355 Posts: 9
    As a general rule, you try your best to meet your macros while on a calorie deficit. Calorie deficit comes first. Macros come second. So if you want to retain as much LBM as possible, then your diet has to be a little stricter.
  • amdarosa619
    amdarosa619 Posts: 98 Member
    Interesting topic. My goals are similar. I'd like to follow to get any other insight.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    The simple answer, no. The more complex answer: weight loss does not necessarily equal fat loss, you can also lose muscle along the way. Paying attention to your macros can help you aviod that by feeding your muscles the protein they need. However, I am not too sure how much your macro intake matters in protecting lean body mass if you are not lifting weights to help with that.
  • carla113
    carla113 Posts: 27 Member
    I've been reading New Rules of Lifting for Women. There's a whole chapter on macros. Good stuff. One suggestion that they made that's helping me on here - adjust your macros to 40/30/30 - carbs/fat/protein. Getting a higher percentage of total calories from protein is a step in the right direction. Aiming for an overall percentage works better for me than shooting for a specific number of grams.

Also, lift weights. It's made a huge difference in my body comp in only about 6 weeks.

It's a personal journey, and every body is different. Find what works for yours.
  • Thank you for the responses. Makes sense. Kinda... :embarassed: I think I may be over thinking and over complicating things but I will check out that book. My macros are actually set to 40/30/30 right now and I have been lifting which I love because I can actually see the changes in the mirror. There are days when my macros are off though (too low in protein, high in carbs or vice versa) and I can't help but be concerned if that type of inconsistency has a negative impact on fat loss.
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Look at your weekly averages and make sure you are getting 1-1.5g of protein per lb of lean body mass/day. It's ok if you're fluctuating daily (some days a little low, some a little high), so long as on average you're approximately hitting your 40/30/30 with a minimum of 1g protein/ lb of lbm.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Hey Kimberly! I am also tracking macros. From my understanding, for weight loss you need to eat at a calorie deficit. That results in both fat and muscle loss though. To preserve muscle, tracking macros (especially protein!) along with strength training is ideal. I go by 0.8 grams of protein per lb of lean body mass. I've been told that protein and fats are your most important macros to hit as often as you can. Hope that helps :)