washing the car - can I log as exercise?

Options
Today I decided to hand wash my car and conservatory instead of taking the car to the car wash. I cannot find this as exercise but it is something I wouldnt normally do and thought it woukd burn a few extra calories. I cannot find this in the exercise data. Can I log it and what would it come under?? Thanks in advance for any help :)

Replies

• sophieamhaley
    Options
    Maybe you could log under "cleaning"? There are a few different options under that, or something similar?
  • bestmeicanbe84
    bestmeicanbe84 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I log it because it burns like 200 calories for me in 30 minutes. I just added it to my diary but you could also use the cleaning entry.
  • theashtrees
    theashtrees Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I use the cleaning options. Especially when you have to scrub down a filthy truck....
  • bbcardlover
    bbcardlover Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I personally do not log activities like that. I consider it part of my everyday living and activity level. You can't log everything you do, because that is already counted in your daily calorie goal. If you log it you may be "double logging" in effect. I guess if you have your activity level set at the lowest level it would be ok to add it.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I personally do not log activities like that. I consider it part of my everyday living and activity level. You can't log everything you do, because that is already counted in your daily calorie goal. If you log it you may be "double logging" in effect. I guess if you have your activity level set at the lowest level it would be ok to add it.

+1
  • hopper602
    hopper602 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I am pretty picky about how my vehicle gets washed and i tend to hand wash it more often than not. Bending over/ squatting to get certain parts of the vehicle and washing/toweling at a brisk pace deserves to be logged. I would say no more than 100 calories just to be safe so you are not over eating those back. I usually wash 2 cars every time I do it also.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I've logged it as 5-10 min of light cleaning before.

ETA: I am set to "sedentary" on MFP. If I was "lightly active" or higher I wouldn't log stuff like that.
  • specky4eyes
    specky4eyes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks all :) I have my activity level set on sedentary as I consider myself fairly inactive despite having a little girl - she isn't walking yet so not dashing around after her much. I don't intend to eat the calories burned but thought it would be good for my esteem to log my efforts.
  • feliciaberry
    feliciaberry Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had this same question. Mine it set to active and I workout 1-2 hours per day, but washing my car is not in my normal routine. I was wondering what I should log it as well. I have a traverse, so it's fairly bigger than a standard size car. It was nasty and I was out there a good 2 hours start it finish. I know I burned a good deal of calories due to how I felt after, but I'm just not sure how to log it!?! #helpplease
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I don't log regular chores, only my actual work outs. I suppose it would go under cleaning though