picky eaters

Options
mommyallison2011
mommyallison2011 Posts: 5 Member
hey my fitness pal users

i have three boys aged 6 months, 4 years and 11 years old. my 4 and 11 year old are picky eaters. they love pizza and burgers and all the processed foods. how do i help them eat healthier and get them to like it.

thanks for any advice given
also feel free to add me i am new here

Replies

• yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I grew up the pickiest eater ever (I'm still pretty bad); if there was more awareness when I was little I'd have been diagnosed with an ED or autism or something (seriously, I ate about 5 foods).

My only advice is not to force them to eat. No, don't cook separate meals, encourage them to TASTE things, BUT...my parents used to force me to eat, sit at the table all night, not have dessert (who cares I hated food!) and it backfired into a battle of the wills.

I really did outgrow it, to a big extent, once I was older and more in control of my food choices.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    well homemade pizza and burgers are a good start - it's something they will eat. You can also eat it - way easier to control the content by making things yourself.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    This is a VERY emotive topic for me as my youngest daughter who is 16 is a very picky eater- she only eats 'beige/white' foods which are all carbs and as a result is larger than she should be. I WISH that I had been firmer when she was younger- I just thought that she would grow out of it but she hasn't. Sadly she is often very uncomfortable when invited out and going out to a restaurant is a nightmare; being 16 she is well aware of the impact that it's having on her life and already worries about what she will do when she has a boyfriend who wants to take her out for a meal.

So, whilst I don't have any answers, with hindsight I can see that I was totally wrong about her growing out of it- it didn't happen! I should have been firmer at meal times.........one doesn't have to be 'horrible' and can do it in love......

*.I would definitely not allow any eating in between meals in order to ensure that they are actually hungry at meal-times. * Remember that it can take many times for the palate to get used to a new taste so if they don't like something don't give up, keep reintroducing it.
    * Make mealtimes fun and not a battle ground- maybe ignore them if they are not eating and just carry on chatting and making the atmosphere light.
    * Give them a time limit to finish then take the meal away and bin it without making it a big deal
    * Get them involved in the preparing of meals and make it fun
    * If they are nervous about a new food, suggest that they just lick it. Maybe that's enough just for that mealtime.

Do persevere though so that you don't end up in the situation that I am in!

Just a note- my daughter has been proven to have extra sensitive taste buds so she has a heightened sense of taste which is why some foods may be unpalatable......

Good luck!
  • Bagelsan
    Bagelsan Posts: 49
    Options
    There are lots of recipes out there for "sneaking" veggies into things, like putting shredded carrots or peas into mac & cheese, putting a bit of spinach into a lasagna, etc. Have you tried that kind of thing? With enough peanut butter carrots are delicious, homemade baked sweet potato fries are super yummy, and so on.
  • klyn7788
    klyn7788 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Can you plant a garden? Kids seem to take to produce quickly when they're able to grow it "by themselves". It may also help to let them pick out new things to try at the grocery store or what vegetable to eat at dinner. I'm sure you can find great smoothie recipes that they would love.

I don't think it's too early to help them learn about healthy foods that make you feel good, give you energy, and help you grow. You could probably find some literature about how to try to implement some of this. I would also steer clear of "criminalizing" their favorite foods, because everyone should be allowed to eat Macaroni and Cheese and not feel guilty, and you do not want them to end up with food issues in the future.

As people mention around here all the time, it's important to teach them about health and not about weight loss. This usually means that you need to keep conversations about your body image and weight private from your children. You can focus on discussing how the new foods are making you feel healthy and strong when you're with them.

Jessica Seinfeld has a great cookbook about sneaking veggies. These things taste good to adults too! Check it out.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Take advantage of the sweet tooth that all kids have, and make them a "green smoothie" made with spinach and fruit. Or you can make a banana and medjool date smoothie, with a little almond milk and a drip of vanilla extract. Add a few crushed walnuts or fresh cherries for texture and it's just like ice cream.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    hey my fitness pal users

i have three boys aged 6 months, 4 years and 11 years old. my 4 and 11 year old are picky eaters. they love pizza and burgers and all the processed foods. how do i help them eat healthier and get them to like it.

thanks for any advice given
    also feel free to add me i am new here

What have you cooked that they wouldn't eat? Would you consider yourself a decent cook?
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I had one of the pickiest eaters on the planet for a long time. - until he was about 6 he would eat these things only (maybe a few others, but this was the jist of it.

Mac n cheese, chicken nuggets, Black forest ham (yes only that kind), bacon, fries, PB, corn, bread, and eggs. That is it.

We did not make him separate meals once he started school.

slowly he started trying things, because I would not make another meal, however, I would save it and reheat it if he got hungry later or he'd eat a piece of PB toast before bed.

We found out that he likes to cook. His dad (my hubby) is a trained chef - slowly daddy started helping him cook things and shop for things. Now the kid will try about anything. - even if only one bite. The other day I made egg whites with onion, mushrooms and spinach on toast. He asked for a bite - and said That is my breakfast on Saturday mommy - except I'm leaving out the spinach!: - hey at least he tried it.

At 8 years old he asked Santa for pots and pans and knives so he could cook like daddy - and Santa sure had fun picking those out for him! Now he makes his own eggs for breakfast and cooks things for himself (with supervision) and loves to try new things.

We also sneak things into other stuff. Lasagna the other night was ground turkey, spinach, mushrooms and peppers - they loved it and got seconds. (I have raised 7 kids (2 not my own) and
  • CelebrityStatus
    CelebrityStatus Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am a VERY picky eater.

Since beginning dieting, my food issues have just swapped the spectrum. I don't like anything with "funny" smells, textures, looks. I am that person who orders the exact same thing every time I go somewhere because I hate trying new things.

With my eating habits before, I was very fussy about food touching, and didn't like anything "dry" (cereals/granola bars/carrots...basically anything that could be hard to swallow... I am really sensitive to feeling things "stuck" in my throat)

Now that I am eating healthier, I am obsessed with knowing everything that goes into my food. I don't eat processed carbs, I don't eat dairy, I don't eat red meat. All things that I would eat on occasion, but never loved, that now I don't eat at all.

My parents allowed me to grow up a picky eater by trying to force me to eat things I didn't want to. It became a battle of wills, and in the end, I guess I "won" because I am almost foodphobic, for lack of better word. Although in reality, I am the one who lost because I am completely unable to enjoy food.

I like the idea of trying to put veggies into the things that they already like. Try having them prepare meals with you. If they feel like they were a big part in making the meal, they may be more likely to want to try it!
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Well, I can tell you what I do with my 3 year old. She's not exactly picky, more she's just not particularly interested in eating. Or she didn't used to be, but she's getting better. My husband is the same way, and underweight, so I worry about it with both of them.

What I do is 'deconstruct' most of our meals. It works out well for us because we can all get portions of whatever we like. We very rarely have a meal that is 100% new things she hasn't tried before. All of our meals have several components, at least one of which she likes. I work full time, am doing additional coursework, and I don't have a ton of time to cook, but its easy enough to cook up a few extra portions and rotate leftovers. Not all the things even have to be cooked. Cheese, olives, hummus, various vegetable dips, stuffed grape leaves, salsas, fresh bread, all these things can be bought premade.

She must also try one very small bite of everything on her plate. The bite is about the size of one bean. This is something that I struggled with because I've heard so many picky eaters say their parents made them eat and it just made things worse. She seems to respond to it fine. She knows its only small bite and then she can move onto the part of the meal she likes. She normally says 'no I don't like this', but sometimes at the next meal she will eat whatever the offending food particle was.

From the very beginning I have refused to cook separate meals, and I never will. I think that is the worst thing anyone can do, excepting cases of food allergies or maybe something like food aversions from illness or autism. Like I said, there is always something on the table she likes. She is also allowed only 1 snack in the afternoon, and only because her lunch is so early. There is a HUGE difference in her eating habits when she is allowed snacks and when she isn't.

One thing that I also really focus on is manners. She does not have to like everything she is given, but she must try a bite and isn't allowed to complain, whine, or make faces. If she does she can skip dinner and go sit in her room. I don't mind picky people so much, but I do mind picky people that are RUDE about it. If someone comes over for dinner or a bbq or whatever and sits around and whines and/or makes faces at food they are unlikely to be invited back over. Its also important because my husband is from North Africa, so when we visit his family or other families she will often be seeing very unfamiliar food.

I used to be more into getting her involved in cooking, but I'm pregnant and just don't have the patience right now. What I did was have her put things from the cutting board into the pot/bowl. Last night she 'helped' me grill, choose the vegetables, we talked about the colors and the shapes.

We also try to make meal times enjoyable. We talk about our days and I involve her in talks about food. What are the colors? Do you like x,y,z? Is it crunchy, soft? Salty, sweet? She has her own 'special' plate that is only for her. She helps me set and clear the table. She helps me choose the serving dishes, which are nice and colorful and rarely match. ;)