Calling all 100 poundish losers...

Options
I have a long way to go in my weight loss.. I'm currently 251 lbs, 5'3" and 47 years old.. I'm wanting to get off to a good start so in the "Guided" setting I put 2 pounds per week and it gave me 1200 calories. Looking to see what all you have done that have lost a lot of weight.. Should I keep it at 1200 calories? what did you do?

Thanks,
Kim Garman

Replies

• areinafierce
    Options
    You will probably be starving by Noon with that goal LOL
    Try setting yourself up for a smaller attainable goal. Like a pound or a pound and a half.
    It will come off, you just have to give it time.

:)
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Hello Kim

I would suggest going here http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Plug in all your info and find your tdee, based on your activity level it will tell you how many calories to eat a day. 2 pounds per week is really aggressive, I would aim for a pound per week and go from there. 1200 may be a little low for you...

Also buy a food scale and weigh EVERYTHING, accuracy logging is essential for weight loss.

Good luck
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and started MFP at 236. It gave me 1200 calories/day which I knew was too low. I changed the setting to lose 1lb/week and it changed to 1600/day which is much more reasonable. Since then I haven't felt hungry, deprived or like I'm on a diet.

I'm almost a month in and still doing great on 1,540 calories. After another month, I'll try 1400 or 1200. Not for now, though.
  • angelzxy321
    angelzxy321 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I have about 100 pounds to lose as well in order to get to a very healthy weight. I've only just started. When I chose guided I got the same results you did - about 1200 calories a day. I found that I'm never tempted to eat more than that. I'm full all day. I know when I'm hungry my chances of grabbing anything and everything increases so I eat EVERY time I'm hungry. Usually fruit or veggies. I'm not sure but I think it's the fiber in my new snacks that's keeping me full throughout the day. It may not seem like much but 1200 of the right types of calories are way more than they seem. I also drink a lot of water all day long.

So yes, 1200 may be fine for you. I suggest trying it for a few days and see how that goes. If you need more calories readjust then.

My calories are mostly from protein, low on carbs and a little lower on fat. My protein is the only thing that goes over (that and sugar because of my two fruits) but I think that is fine.

I also eat back a portion of my exercise calories. Weight loss is greater when I do than when I don't.
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day can be adequate for those who have this much to lose and who are sedentary - you just have to do it right.

<ingest real foods and not filler.>

you can do it.

<3
  • rosevalleygirl23
    rosevalleygirl23 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hey, we are practically the same age and exactly the same start weight.

I added exercise to my daily routine and I eat back those calories. I started off with walking, now I do walking, Zumba and weightlifting. I lose pounds if I can to stick to 1400 net calories or under. If I eat more my habits tend to creep in the wrong direction and my weight loss stalls. It's good for me to try and fail though. A lot of lessons learned in that space.
  • AlmightyAce
    AlmightyAce Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I too have over 100lbs to lose, and was set at 1200 calories. I tried it for a few days and I was ravenous, cranky, and generally not a nice person to be around. I changed my goal from Lose 2 per week to 1.5 and upped my activity level from Sedentary to Lightly Active, and I am now at 1,910 calories per day. I rarely reach that exact number so I feel it'll be easier the more pounds I lose to eat less calories. Feel free to add me for motivation and support. =)
  • kmg3614
    kmg3614 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thank you ALL for your input...I'm excited to really get going. I have been on here before, but I didn't stick with it. I'm really hoping for success this time!
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Another 100 pounds to lose over here. When you have so much to lose, sometimes it just can't fall off fast enough. But we have to remember that we didnt gain 100 pounds overnight or even over 3-6 months. I recently changed mine to be a 1 pound per week loss and changed it from sedentary to lightly active and it went to 1560 which has been good for the last week. You will find what works for you, just try not to get discouraged and quit. Logging in everyday has been a huge motivator for me.
  • Julesoola
    Julesoola Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I lost about 90lbs in roughly 7-8 months about a year ago. I started on ~1200 cals/day and kept this up for a couple of months. I was only walking a couple of miles a day most days at this point. I upped both sides of that about 3 months in to roughly 1700 cals and 6-10 miles a day. I have spent the last year maintaining. I just started back up again and am sticking with the 1200-1300 range which may change depending on my activity (for now). The first couple weeks are the hardest.

You need to actively keep yourself away from the temptations. I feel like it's a constant awareness thing for me, especially when just starting. Every single day I am actively making very specific food choices. It will probably take some trial and error to find daily meal plans that work for you. But, if you're eating *mostly* clean, fresh and stay aware of every ingredient you're consuming, you can actually eat perfectly well on 1200 or so cals a day.

Most importantly - Don't be afraid to modify your plan if it really isn't working for you. There may be some necessary tweaking to find what will work best for you. The most valuable and effective plan is the one that you will stick to. You're better off losing 20lbs in a year and sticking to it than losing 10 in a month and then quitting.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    That's seems quite low. My starting weight was 252 lbs, I was eating about 1,400-1,600 calories a day, a little more with exercise. I stayed at a steady 8-10 lb loss per month. I hit my 100 mark in 11 months.

Healthier eating, Portion control, Moderation, and exercise. Follow those keys, and you'll be successful! :)
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The least I allowed my calories to get to before I flipped over to 1.5lb per week was 1300 calories, below that I probably would have started to eat random things without logging and defeated the purpose. 2lb per week sounds good when you want to lose fast but it can be real painful to deal with. I am now doing 1 lb per week and will probably switch over to .5 lb per week in a few more weeks as I get closer to my next milestone (and move the goal line out just a little further).
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Hello Kim

I would suggest going here http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Plug in all your info and find your tdee, based on your activity level it will tell you how many calories to eat a day. 2 pounds per week is really aggressive, I would aim for a pound per week and go from there. 1200 may be a little low for you...

Also buy a food scale and weigh EVERYTHING, accuracy logging is essential for weight loss.

Good luck

Exactly this. Working for me :)
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I started out a year ago at 295lbs, 5"4 & 32yrs old. I set my goal at 1lb a week because honestly my opinion is that anything more then that is not being realistic, at least not until you are into this & see that you are truly going to change your life & stick to it. So many people give up so killing yourself for 2lbs a week is just crazy. That might be something easier to achieve later on. I also stuck with the calories MFP gave me which in the beginning was 2070 (before mfp I prob avg about 3500 calories most days). I never ate to the 2070, I would come in around 1750ish so I always had calories left over, even more when you factored in exercise calories but I never changed it, I used what I was given. Every 10lbs mfp deducted 50ish calories off. A year later, I have 101lbs gone & I now get 1490/day. If I don't exercise I rarely stay under those but if I go over its usually by 100 or less so I am still within my deficit. Edited to add: I lost my 101lbs in exactly only year, for the first 10mths I averaged 9lbs per mth, then it slowed down big time, I took Dec off which I regret. Since Nov I've lost the 11lbs to get me to my current weight. It does eventually slow down. I still have 43lbs to go, it very well might take me another full year to reach my goal but I am more then ok with that.

The goal is to set yourself up to be successful that's the only way this works. If you set yourself up for failure you will give up in no time. I know you can do it but you have to do it right. Its such a mental game, the slightest thing will send you reeling, so if you are aiming for 2lbs & you get a 1lb, instead of celebrating you will be upset. Every loss is a step in the right direction & its not a gain which is huge. Keep in mind the avg person loses about 4lbs a month & if done right, you have a much better chance of the weight staying off. There is no quick fix for this, it has to be a way of life for it to work.

Good luck on your journey to a healthier & happier you :-)
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend the Scooby calculator above ^^

Or, change your settings to 1lb per week loss - do this for several weeks and check your progress then lower or lift your calories as necessary. Oftentimes people set extremely ambitious weight loss targets (which is fine) but going into such severe calorie restriction does not help with adherence - you're more likely to stick with it if you're eating enough
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    For me 1200, is way too low. For the best long term ability to stick with it, you're going to have to experiment a little and figure out what works best for you. I joined the site quite some time ago, and blew it off. I came back in Dec at 164 with no really significant amount to lose but still with abinge problem, and I started my calorie goal at 1700 until I could get used to it a bit. Now I'm at 1400, but I eat back pretty much all of my exercise calories. This gets me a 1lb a week loss even with not logging and eating pretty much whatever on Sundays. That 1400 can be tricky, and planning ahead is a must for me. This needs to be something you can do forever! I know I would rather lose weight slowly much more than losing it quickly and gaining it back because I didn't learn how to change all the things that made me gain the weight in the first place.
  • Tabithas_Transformation
    Options
    Definitely agree with the previous comments about a gentler start. I'm 5ft 7 so my 2lb loss a week calories at a sedentary level is set to 1,660. I would have felt very discouraged trying to hit 1,200 in the beginning. It's a big adjustment!
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I have a goal of 140-150 pounds to lose, and I eat 1,550 a day and can still get kinda hungry while being pretty inactive >>
    1,200 seems like a poorly informed decision. Do what's best for your body, not what seems fastest. It's not even close to your BMR.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I am 62.
    I did the 1200 calorie thing for the first 18 months. (3/12/14 was my 2 year anniversary on MFP)
    Upped it to 1600 6 months ago. I am still alive, and by all accounts (most importantly my doctor) very healthy.
    Get advice from your health care professional and do what is right for you.
    Best of luck!
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1400-1500 calories a day and work out about 4-5 times weekly. I am at the end of my weight loss and it is going slow now. But before I would lose 1-1.5 a week. 1200 is really low.