Any coffee addicts losing weight?

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

6. Augment your coffee with plenty of water. Coffee can act as a diuretic in many people, meaning that it will cause you to lose fluids. To stay hydrated and keep your stomach fuller, drink a cup of water for every cup of coffee you drink.

Inaccurate. Firstly, water is a diuretic in and of itself. Secondly, the diuretic properties of coffee have been grossly overstated - it's not much more than that of plain water.
  • rebeccaaa_elizabeth
    rebeccaaa_elizabeth Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I refuse to give up anything that I want/like to eat/drink. Especially coffee. It's simple, I work it into my calories and my macros. I drink flavored creamer and measure exactly 2 TBSP. The occasional mocha, I work it in. Don't give up anything you like/love, just make it fit!

+1

I'm also a coffee addict. And losing weight.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I drink it daily - 2 cups in the morning, black, and usually an afternoon iced coffee with half & half and sugar. :smile:
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    I drink 2-3 cups of coffee every morning and have had no problems losing weight. I add Stevia/Truvia and half-n-half to my coffee and just account for the calories in my daily totals (from the cream since Stevia and Truvia are calorie free).

As for the dandelion tea - don't know what brand the poster drinks but the stuff that my wife brought home DOES NOT in any way taste or smell like a good cup of coffee! Muddy fish water comes more to mind than coffee when I smell or try that stuff - YUCK!!
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    SERIOUS coffee addict here- usually in the 30-40 ounces per day range. I was using flavored (sugar free) creamers and not measuring them because I didn't think I was adding that much. I was very, very wrong. I was consuming 150-250 calories of creamer PER DAY. If you're on a 500 cal deficit it might not be a big deal, but I'm only eating a (very sloppy) 200-250 calorie deficit and the creamer was putting me over goal most days.

I switched to unsweetened vanilla almond milk, which is 30 calories per CUP rather than 30 calories per two tablespoons. I usually only use real creamer when I'm at a friend's house once a week. I still use sucralose (Splenda), but I've used it for years and haven't really noticed any side effects.

I LOVE coffee and I don't plan on giving it up any time soon. I'm not exactly trying to lose weight right now- I've moved on to maintenance/ body recomp, but it hasn't seemed to hinder me. Good luck!
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    If I saw this topic just 3 years ago I would laugh at you. 3-4 cups were only half or less than my daily intake of caffeine. I was the worst coffee abuser among the circle of my friends so much that they'd order my coffee before even arriving at the bar. That was until I had a collapse in the gym and got carried away by the emergency. The doc who took my blood test was surprised I was alive with that much lvl of caffeine in my blood even for a young guy as me.
    Fast forward 3 years and now I may or may not drink 1 coffee a MONTH.
    For your own good I'd recommend cutting on coffee gradually until you reach at least 1 per day. I learned to battle my coffee addiction by replacing it with cocoa. A much healthier and beneficial substitute.
    While coffee is good in moderation and for your metabolism, drinking in excess may put you into risks. And never forget that coffee while with an empty stomach is a NO NO deal..
    For some info: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/caffeine/art-20045678
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Me. I would rather lose an arm than give up my coffee :drinker:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    No worries, Im a coffee addict too and I lost weight just fine. Just try to lay off the sugar & cream.

I just log them and enjoy.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    *raises hand* I drink 3-4 cups daily. I use Equal instead of the sugar I used to use in it, as that makes a difference for calories. I refuse to EVER give it up O.O;
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Massive coffee drinker! I get between 1-2 litres (34-68 fl oz) a day! I also use it if I'm having a craving, I'll drink some coffee instead.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I love coffee! I've had to really cut down now I'm pregnant, but before I was drinking 3-4 cups a day and I lost nearly 70lbs. I have it with either whole or semi skimmed milk, no sugar. I also treat myself to the occasional skinny latte or cappuccino.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I used to be religious about my coffee! In fact, I lost weight having two to three daily with brown sugar and half & half cream in them. If you measure it out and journal it, it's okay, but given each coffee was about 150 calories, they add up quickly. Best thing I ever did was give up the sugar. I still use cream, but taking the sugar out seems to have helped me lose the ridiculous hold that coffee had on me! It's like I can just leave a cup half finished now and it's no big deal.
  • nomad1000
    nomad1000 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I drink 2-3 cups of coffee (with 1T SF Vanilla syrup and 1 T SF Vanilla creamer) every day. Plus 1-2 Diet Cokes. I have cut back to less than half my original coffee consumption (used to drink a pot myself every day).

The biggest thing was the "adds" to the coffee. I really cut back on those and it has made a big difference.
  • klyn7788
    klyn7788 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I use Truvia and So Delicious Vanilla Coconut Milk. A lot of people recommend trying almond milk ... I love almond milk but think it is awful in coffee. Keep trying different things, something will work for you. If you're not concerned about chemicals or additives, you can get a low fat half and half and fat free coffee creamer.

Personally, I think trying to drastically cut down on caffeine while you're starting to make other lifestyle changes sounds tough. If you want to cut back on a broad scale, I would wait until your body has adjusted to the other changes first. No use in making yourself miserable while you're trying to make healthy choices.
  • zombinaape
    zombinaape Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Nothing ever came between me and my coffee during my weight loss! Drink up, and shake it out! :D
  • snoopyjet
    snoopyjet Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    There's nothing better than my Bullet Proof Coffee in the morning and than afternoon or any time :) I drink 2-4 per day. But if I drink too much my hand are shaking and my heart goes crazy so I have to be careful...
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    There's nothing better than my Bullet Proof Coffee in the morning and than afternoon or any time :) I drink 2-4 per day. But if I drink too much my hand are shaking and my heart goes crazy so I have to be careful...

Yea, it only protects you from bullets..not the shakes and heart palpitations.
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I refuse to give up my coffee,,and I use half and half in it,,I just make sure I have room for it in my calories.
  • timc_73
    timc_73 Posts: 6
    Options
    I make 6 cups of coffee in my coffee maker every day, and usually drink it all (or 80+%). I used to put sugar/cream based creamers in, but since I started cutting carbs, I use half-and-half with a dash of cinnamon, instead.

FWIW, I've lost about 10 pounds since January 1.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    never had an issue with coffee... it hasn't bothered me.