lost one lbs :-/...

Options

Replies

• J_adoreDior_
    J_adoreDior_ Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you want to do TDEE-20% you should stick to eating 1,964 calories/day. Using TDEE method you do not eat exercise calories back because it accounts for how active you are.

This...

If you are eating back exercise calories you are at almost maintenance hence the slow loss...

Thanks, sadly I've been getting incorrect information, saying I should eat all of what I burn back... Could be the reason why I'm not losing, along with not knowing how many calories I should be eating daily. Now I feel good about things and will be making some adjustments!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Two quick thoughts from looking at your diary - (1) your calories burned from strength training are highly likely to be overstated, and (2) you appear to be taking double credit for some of your cardio exercise because the burns are also reflected in your Fitbit adjustment for the day.
    MFP has a Fitbit Users group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users

Do not log any step-based activity. Log non-step workouts (like spinning or swimming) either in Fitbit or in MFP. I find Fitbit's burns to be way more accurate than MFP's one-size-fits-all guesstimates. If you log in MFP you're asked for start & end times, and MFP overrides your step data during your workout.
  • J_adoreDior_
    Options
    You lost weight and you're sad?

Losing more than 1 pound a week is very rare, unless you are extremely overweight.

One pound is great.

Im not sad lol, just a little frustrated took me 3 months :-/...so i figured im doing something wrong .
    I lost 30lbs last year and i wasnt doing as much as im doing now..

So you lost 1 lb in 3 months. Yes, you are doing something wrong. Likely, eating too much.

Thats what im thinking ! Lost 30lbs last year and after that my weight has been the same !
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    If you are using the TDEE method then you don't eat back any exercise calories these are factored into you alloted calories.
  • J_adoreDior_
    Options
    Are you actually weighing your food, or is that just an artifact of the way the MFP logger is working?

It'd be good to know your BMR & TDEE (or your age / weight / activity level so we could calculate it. Without those, the best guess (and it's a huge guess) is that you're underestimating your calories in and eating back too many of the exercise calories. Again, without BMR and TDEE, that's a complete SWAG.

Yes, I weigh everything.. and if its something like subway I use something similar from MFP.
    Im 5'6" >189 lbs > I workout 5-7 times a week. BMR is 1679 and Tdee is 2455 ,
  • J_adoreDior_
    Options
    Are you working out? If yes, are you working hard or kinda cruisin'? Are you logging your workouts and eating back your calories even when you're just kinda cruisin'?

Are you weighing every single thing that goes into your mouth?

Also, weight loss takes time and practice. And it almost never happens like clockwork or how you'd expect it to.

Working hard lol , my workouts start at 4am . I take a spin class and a power class, Stairmaster, treadmill, a little weight on my own, running...

Yes, I weigh everything, except like you know the subway meals ...etc.
    But everything I prepare I weigh.

Yes ma’am I understand that, loss 30lbs already but losing only 1 lbs. in 3 months ... something’s not right lol:sad:
  • J_adoreDior_
    Options
    You only have 29 lb. to go. (Congratulations!) The closer you get to goal, the more slowly you lose. That's just how the human body works. Set your goal to 1 lb. per week, and be patient. After another few pounds, your loss will slow to .5 lb. per week. Don't panic! Lower your goal again, and continue to be patient. The smaller deficit will also help you transition to maintenance.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Didnt know this , thank you ! "getting out of panic mode " :happy:
  • J_adoreDior_
    Options
    Honey I have lost 3 lbs since Dec. And yes that seems minute when I look at the amount of time and effort I'm actually putting in to watching what I eat and actually working out - BUT. . .

I have lost over 18 INCHES!!!!! The body fat vs lean muscle mass has changed by 7 lbs at last check. Things are beginning to STOP jiggling!

The big picture is NOT in the number on the scale. And I have to keep telling myself this too - it's hard - but when you are feeling better - looking better - eating healthier - clothes are fitting better - THAT is the SUCCESS!!

Take a 1 lb wieght (A pop bottle or anything) and hold it straight out to your side. Hold it. Hold it. Hold it. Notice how long it takes before it begins feeling like a lead weight of 5 lbs, 10 lbs 20 lbs.....and getting heavier!? THAT 1 lb is now OFF of your joints!! You are 1 lb LIGHTER! 1 lb healthier!

Drink WATER. Keep MOVING. Stay POSITIVE! You ARE Winning! :wink:

Congrats on the loss!!! Its def. inspiring hearing these stories, and having people on the same journey!
    I normally don't worry about the number on the scale but I thought it was strange not seeing the scale move at all ... but like you in someone else said I could be losing inches etc.
    Thank you so much for you advice and encouragement! Good luck on your journey!
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    We all had to start somewhere! Congrats on the loss!
  • J_adoreDior_
    Options
    First, congrats on your success over the last year. That is terrific!

Two quick thoughts from looking at your diary - (1) your calories burned from strength training are highly likely to be overstated, and (2) you appear to be taking double credit for some of your cardio exercise because the burns are also reflected in your Fitbit adjustment for the day. In addition, you are probably still retaining quite a bit of water to heal your muscles given the increase in exercise.

That being said, I would continue with the exercise regime since it will make you look more trim and slim even if the scale stays stagnant (and in some cases, it goes up). I would start primarily measuring your success with a tape measure rather than the scale given the lifestyle change.

Best wishes for continued success!

THANK YOU! :happy:

(1) my strength training , well all exercises now I wear mt polar HRM.
    (2) Hmmm, why would it be taking double , i thought the adj was correct I will look into that!
    So everyone is saying measurements ,measurements ,measurements :bigsmile: , will start taking measurement vs scale numbers!

I'm learning a lot in this one post, lol . Thanks you for the feedback!
  • J_adoreDior_
    Options
    Two quick thoughts from looking at your diary - (1) your calories burned from strength training are highly likely to be overstated, and (2) you appear to be taking double credit for some of your cardio exercise because the burns are also reflected in your Fitbit adjustment for the day.
    MFP has a Fitbit Users group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users

Do not log any step-based activity. Log non-step workouts (like spinning or swimming) either in Fitbit or in MFP. I find Fitbit's burns to be way more accurate than MFP's one-size-fits-all guesstimates. If you log in MFP you're asked for start & end times, and MFP overrides your step data during your workout.

So treadmill would br step-based , right ?
    So I should use fit bit to log all my exercises ?

I love all of these helpful tips . Thank you.

Honestly , mfp and fitibt together confuses me lol!
  • J_adoreDior_
    Options
    You lost weight and you're sad?

Losing more than 1 pound a week is very rare, unless you are extremely overweight.

One pound is great.

Im not sad lol, just a little frustrated took me 3 months :-/...so i figured im doing something wrong .
    I lost 30lbs last year and i wasnt doing as much as im doing now..

Oh D:
    Yeah, you didn't really mention that it took three months (or I'm missing it somewhere.)
    I would make sure you're logging more carefully.
    Maybe re-evaluate your TDEE.

YEAP LOL.
    But you know what I wasnt using the TDEE method , I have been using mfp numbers lol :-/ .. trying to get my net closer to my goal etc ?
  • editorgrrl
    Options

So treadmill would be step-based, right?
    So I should use Fitbit to log all my exercises?

Honestly, MFP and Fitbit together confuses me lol!
    Yes, treadmill is step-based, so do not log it—unless you want to override your Fitbit step data & use your HRM burn instead.

It will take trial & error to find what works for you. There are many posts in the Fitbit Users group by people using MFP + Fitbit + a HRM. There's lots of good info in there.
  • J_adoreDior_
    Options
    If you are using the TDEE method then you don't eat back any exercise calories these are factored into you alloted calories.

Wasn't using the TDEE method , I will start using it now though . Was strictly going by the numbers on MFP :-/
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Wasn't using the TDEE method, I will start using it now though. Was strictly going by the numbers on MFP.
    Your Fitbit burn is your TDEE. When you connect your Fitbit & MFP accounts & use the MFP defaults (with 29 lb. to lose, set your goal to 1 lb. per week), MFP uses your Fitbit burn to calculate your calorie goal rather than your activity level. That's how calorie adjustments work.

Edited to add be sure to enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • J_adoreDior_
    Options
    Wasn't using the TDEE method, I will start using it now though. Was strictly going by the numbers on MFP.
    Your Fitbit burn is your TDEE. When you connect your Fitbit & MFP accounts & use the MFP defaults (with 29 lb. to lose, set your goal to 1 lb. per week), MFP uses your Fitbit burn to calculate your calorie goal rather than your activity level. That's how calorie adjustments work.

Edited to add be sure to enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Hmm, I think I understand now, so much I wasnt understanding between the two !
    So do you think I should start logging more with fitbit ?
  • Polarpaly05
    Polarpaly05 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Your calorie burn for strength training is super high. You can't use a HRM for strength training, it will not give you an accurate number.
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Your calorie burn for strength training is super high. You can't use a HRM for strength training, it will not give you an accurate number.
    Um yes it will. I use my Heart Rate Monitor for cardio and all weight lifting sessions.
  • Polarpaly05
    Polarpaly05 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Um yes it will. I use my Heart Rate Monitor for cardio and all weight lifting sessions.

No, it won't. The relationship between caloric burn vs cardio is not the same as caloric burn vs strength training. HRMs are only good for steady state cardio work.
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Seems like you are on the right track. I too use the TDEE -20 percent.
    So you dont have to log in your calories burned or eat them back since the TDEE formula already take into consideration your activity level. For example, My TDEE -20 is 2100. I eat 2100 with or without workingout. I workout about 5-6 times a week. A mix of outdoor fitness classes and heavy weight lifting. If you scheme through my profile, I will log my workouts but only as 1 calorie burned.
    Also I noticed you arent tracking other macros, only calories. I'm a firm believer that not all calories are created equal. Right now I am eating 50% carbs/ 25% proteins/ 25% fats. This seems to be working well with me.