Weight Gainers: Week 2

Replies

• whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Lost the wallet, so I trained in house today. Alternating between pull-ups and pushups. Did:
    4 x 30 pushups
    5 x 9 pullups

Took a good 2-3 minutes between each set though, seemed to help a lot.

Then I found my wallet, :happy:

Will hit the gym on friday and see if there's any improvement. I'm hoping I can bring my squat up, perhaps even my military press as well.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member

Thanks cd! Knee is feeling ok so I think I'll be good to go. Are you following that entire routine from that Thib article?

Because I train mma I can't really do it exactly.

Mon: mma
    Tue: upper body
    Wed: mma
    Thu: nueral charge
    Fri: lower body
    Sat: mma
    Sun: nueral charge or an actual upper or lower body one if I feel energised.

That's the plan anyway :)

Looks like you are training hard..What do you do for your mma training cd?
  • musclebuilder
    My breakfast is 1 and 1/4 cup oats. This is also my pre WO meal.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    I hate to do it because I was really enjoying trying to bulk, but spring break is 11 weeks away and I want to look my best. I won't have enough time if I wait till Jan 3 to start cutting again.

Sorry guys but I won't be continuing the updates. We could start a thread to talk about workouts if you guys want or even continue to use this one. I'll probably start trying to clean bulk as soon as I get back from Florida.
  • whyflysouth
    I hate to do it because I was really enjoying trying to bulk, but spring break is 11 weeks away and I want to look my best. I won't have enough time if I wait till Jan 3 to start cutting again.

Sorry guys but I won't be continuing the updates. We could start a thread to talk about workouts if you guys want or even continue to use this one. I'll probably start trying to clean bulk as soon as I get back from Florida.

Funny you say that b/c I've been thinking I should get back to cutting also. With that said, I'm not gonna be changing my routine much, actually gonna try to maintain my weight and just try to improve my strength. I've got a feeling I may be able to build some muscle mass while at maintenance anyways.

Maybe one of us could take over for you with regards to these updates, if you want to share out your spreadsheet. I think you could keep with the group and just make your goals be more about retaining your current 1 RM or still improving it, and not be about weight gaining. As you said, it's not about the weight but about the measurements, you probably wouldn't want to cut only to find you've become weaker or lost muscle mass, this kind of tracking can help ensure that muscle loss is kept to a minimum.

Anyways, today I was able to improve my 1RM on squats:
    12 x 135 lbs puts me at 189 1RM (Squats)

Ate a big breakfast and I think that helped.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    A bulk doesn't have to be massive overeating! Why not just do a clean bulk now? That is what I basically did over the last 3 months. Up about 10lbs and minimal fat increase.

MMA training involves:
    Mon & Wed: start with kick boxing type stuff, kick shields and thai pads usually. Usually about half an hour of this. We also include things like takedowns, sprawls etc. Then we might do some specific takedown/takedown defence wrestling stuff. This is truly the most exhausting! Then we'll do some jui-jitsu technique stuff. Usually get taught a new sweep, submission or escape and do these drills for half an hour or so. Then we finish with about half an hour of random grappling trying to use what we learnt. Session is usually 1.5-2hrs long.

Sat is conditioning circuits. Last week we did 2mins on 45sec break. Circuits of tractor tyre flips, sledge hammer on tyre, 25lb weighted step ups, then kickboxing, leg machine, rope climbs 24ft (HARD!), ab wheel roll out, 90lb farmers walks and barbell complex (DL, hand cleans, overhead press, good morning, squat). This workout is pretty bloody hard!
  • YeaILift
    A bulk doesn't have to be massive overeating! Why not just do a clean bulk now? That is what I basically did over the last 3 months. Up about 10lbs and minimal fat increase.

MMA training involves:
    Mon & Wed: start with kick boxing type stuff, kick shields and thai pads usually. Usually about half an hour of this. We also include things like takedowns, sprawls etc. Then we might do some specific takedown/takedown defence wrestling stuff. This is truly the most exhausting! Then we'll do some jui-jitsu technique stuff. Usually get taught a new sweep, submission or escape and do these drills for half an hour or so. Then we finish with about half an hour of random grappling trying to use what we learnt. Session is usually 1.5-2hrs long.

Sat is conditioning circuits. Last week we did 2mins on 45sec break. Circuits of tractor tyre flips, sledge hammer on tyre, 25lb weighted step ups, then kickboxing, leg machine, rope climbs 24ft (HARD!), ab wheel roll out, 90lb farmers walks and barbell complex (DL, hand cleans, overhead press, good morning, squat). This workout is pretty bloody hard!

I was clean bulking, and I don't plan on changing my routine, just my diet. I'll go back to bulking after spring break, but I want to have the lowest body fat of my life by the time March 5th hits.

12 weeks: 2000c
    11 weeks: 1800c
    10 weeks: 1750c
    9 weeks: 1700c
    8 weeks: 1650c
    7 weeks: 1600c
    6 weeks: 1550c
    5 weeks: 1450c
    4 weeks: 1400c
    3 weeks: 1350c
    2 weeks: 1325c
    1 week : 1300c
  • YeaILift

Funny you say that b/c I've been thinking I should get back to cutting also. With that said, I'm not gonna be changing my routine much, actually gonna try to maintain my weight and just try to improve my strength. I've got a feeling I may be able to build some muscle mass while at maintenance anyways.

Maybe one of us could take over for you with regards to these updates, if you want to share out your spreadsheet. I think you could keep with the group and just make your goals be more about retaining your current 1 RM or still improving it, and not be about weight gaining. As you said, it's not about the weight but about the measurements, you probably wouldn't want to cut only to find you've become weaker or lost muscle mass, this kind of tracking can help ensure that muscle loss is kept to a minimum.

Anyways, today I was able to improve my 1RM on squats:
    12 x 135 lbs puts me at 189 1RM (Squats)

Ate a big breakfast and I think that helped.

You're right. I'll keep updating.

Just in case anyone wants to use the excel sheet in the future.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/435999407/WeightGainers_RoundOne.xlsx

I'm glad the big breakfast helps. Working out low on carbs definitely isn't ideal.
  • Here's my end-of-week stats... YL, thanks for keeping this up even if you're not gonna participate anymore. Just wanna thank you for starting this in the first place - it's really got me excited about my lifting and gaining!

Weight: 160lbs (woohoo, gained 10lbs since November 1!!)
    Bench Press: 105
    Shoulder Press: 80
    Barbell Curl: 65
    Squat: 115
    Deadlift: 145
  • YeaILift
    Here's my end-of-week stats... YL, thanks for keeping this up even if you're not gonna participate anymore. Just wanna thank you for starting this in the first place - it's really got me excited about my lifting and gaining!

Weight: 160lbs (woohoo, gained 10lbs since November 1!!)
    Bench Press: 105
    Shoulder Press: 80
    Barbell Curl: 65
    Squat: 115
    Deadlift: 145

No problem. It had me really motivated too.

Did 205x6 on deadlift and 200x6 on squats. I could have probably done a little more on both but my grip on the dead lift always slips even with a hook grip, and I want to make sure I have great form on my squats before I go up too much per week. Looking up at the ceiling really helps with squats. Started lunges at the beginning of the month and they are kicking my *kitten* haha.
  • musclebuilder

MMA training involves:

So basicly what you're saying is you could kick somebody's *kitten*.lol Heck of a weekly schedule cd. Are you looking to compete in MMA?
  • musclebuilder
    Sounds like this thread is helping people get even more out of themselves so lets keep this going. Does not matter what your goals are. Be it cut down or build muscle. We can offer support and continue to progress.
  • Question for you guys about grips (since YL brought up his grip on squats)... I had a spotter save my neck (literally) at the gym this past week... couldn't quite finish my 5th rep on decline bench press. I was gripping the bar like you'd grip anything - with my thumb wrapped around the bar (like gripping a hammer). The spotter who helped me said I should line my thumb up along side my fingers and let the bar rest on my hands instead of wrapping my thumb around the bar. He said it will help with control and it won't be so awkward when doing bench presses. I haven't tried it yet, but wanted to see what you guys had to say about it.
  • musclebuilder
    Question for you guys about grips (since YL brought up his grip on squats)... I had a spotter save my neck (literally) at the gym this past week... couldn't quite finish my 5th rep on decline bench press. I was gripping the bar like you'd grip anything - with my thumb wrapped around the bar (like gripping a hammer). The spotter who helped me said I should line my thumb up along side my fingers and let the bar rest on my hands instead of wrapping my thumb around the bar. He said it will help with control and it won't be so awkward when doing bench presses. I haven't tried it yet, but wanted to see what you guys had to say about it.

I keep my thumbs wrapped around the bar. This way there is no risk of the bar ever slipping. I know many guys do a thumbless grip on BP but I am not one of them. It could be especially dangerous on a decline press.
  • YeaILift
    Question for you guys about grips (since YL brought up his grip on squats)... I had a spotter save my neck (literally) at the gym this past week... couldn't quite finish my 5th rep on decline bench press. I was gripping the bar like you'd grip anything - with my thumb wrapped around the bar (like gripping a hammer). The spotter who helped me said I should line my thumb up along side my fingers and let the bar rest on my hands instead of wrapping my thumb around the bar. He said it will help with control and it won't be so awkward when doing bench presses. I haven't tried it yet, but wanted to see what you guys had to say about it.

I keep my thumbs wrapped around the bar. This way there is no risk of the bar ever slipping. I know many guys do a thumbless grip on BP but I am not one of them. It could be especially dangerous on a decline press.

Agreed, I don't think it's very safe. Although I do this with other lifts. When you do them without your thumb, it will help take the forearm out of the exercise and work more of the muscle you are targeting.
  • whyflysouth

Agreed, I don't think it's very safe. Although I do this with other lifts. When you do them without your thumb, it will help take the forearm out of the exercise and work more of the muscle you are targeting.

+1. I keep my thumbs wrapped too. You want to minimize risk of injury above everything else. Sometimes I find myself having a better grip without my gloves when doing the bb bench, but I always keep the thumb wrapped. As for not finishing the last rep, that's totally cool that means you really worked to failure, maybe you could've gotten it through if you changed your thumb position, but you could've just as likely had that thing slips down and crush your ribs or something.
  • chrisdavey
    Musclebuilder: haha pretty much :p it's just so much fun! Not really looking to get in the cage but I like to compete in jiu jitsu comps. 

Re bench grip. Wrap thumb for me. Only thumbless one i do is squat. 
  • Awesome!! Thanks for the advice guys! Tomorrow is bench press day again... hopefully I'll hit that 5th rep on the decline this time!! =)
  • chrisdavey
    BTW if you are trying to add weight to the bar each workout, going to absolute failure isn't always a good thing. I will try to leave 1 rep left. When you reach failure it puts a lot of stress on central nervous system so depending on the type and frequency of training it can hinder your recovery. And recovery is when you grow. This is the premise behind the workout program I am doing which is detailed here by Christian Thibaudeau. http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/look_like_a_bodybuilder_perform_like_an_athlete
  • whyflysouth
    BTW if you are trying to add weight to the bar each workout, going to absolute failure isn't always a good thing. I will try to leave 1 rep left. When you reach failure it puts a lot of stress on central nervous system so depending on the type and frequency of training it can hinder your recovery. And recovery is when you grow. This is the premise behind the workout program I am doing which is detailed here by Christian Thibaudeau. http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/look_like_a_bodybuilder_perform_like_an_athlete

In that case, when is it ever good to lift to failure? I ask b/c up until now the lift to failure has always been the mantra (though I agree it delays recovery quite a bit)
This discussion has been closed.