Advice for a novice swimmer?

Options
I just completed my first swim in almost 3 years and lets just say I'm a bit rusty. After just 15 minutes (which I managed 6 slow laps of a 50m pool doing breaststroke and freestyle) my head felt like it was going to explode! Iput this down to lack of oxygen, I need to learn to breath efficiently in the water. My technique is terribly clumsy and I had to stop partway on a couple of laps.

I used to be able to swim about 2km before tiring. I realise that it will take me a while to get my endurance back but I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me? I'm entirely self taught at swimming and have never had coaching. Would a couple of lessons be helpful?

How often and for how long should I be swimming at first? Any tips on technique? Also is there any exercises that I can do that will help me become a better swimmer?

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Don't drown
  • TexasOFT76
    TexasOFT76 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    It seems like your muscles just have to be reconditioned back to the form you previously knew. As with any lay off It'll just take some time. I base that off my vast knowledge of layoffs and trying to return to form. My plan is to not do the layoff part again!

I came in looking for tips as well. Admittedly, I'm a novice swimmer too and am determined. Congrats on making it that far your first time out....I have work to do to make that distance!
  • nose6
    nose6 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Breathe out while your face is in the water. That way, when you lift your head to breathe, air can be going in the whole time. I was a swimming instructor and this was one of the key things I taught.
  • PoesyP
    PoesyP Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think you might be surprised how quickly you can get back into the swing of swimming. The kind of muscle memory of what you used to do actually comes back pretty fast. I bet you'll find your technique settles a lot naturally as well once you get used to being back in the water. Particularly with front crawl, slowing down and really thinking more about getting a comfortable rhythm for your breathing and practising that before you worry too much about speed can really help you to get comfortable.

Only you can know really if you want to do some lessons, but I'd recommend keeping on going to the pool and just letting yourself settle back into what you knew how to do before first. Then in a few weeks you'll be much more comfortable in the water to really benefit from any technique advice you might get from a teacher to take your swimming technique onwards.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Definitely take some courses, most pools have adult classes in different levels or you can join a Masters Swim and get coaching weekly.

Take a course or a few lessons will help dramatically with form, and form is important for swimming. Also makes it a lot easier and there will less effort needed to move which means you can swim longer.

I believe you can swim as often and for as long as you want, you just need to listen to your body. I try to go Mon-Fri.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    A pull buoy and kick board are your best friends right now. You can concentrate on form better and won't tire as easily.
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You don't have to swim the traditional "proper" way if it is hard for you at first. I swim a lot but I don't swim how you are "supposed" to. I do what I think is called "frog style" swimming. It's easier for me, partly because I have Neurological issues and getting the co-ordination of the other one is too hard for me

If you want to learn the other way see if your area offer adult swim classes or lessons in swim technique
  • arwacky
    arwacky Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I used to be a swim instructor/on swim team most of my life. You can get back to swimming fairly quickly. It's easier to build up in the pool than with running in my opinion. I think you can focus on technique first. Do drills! Like someone said you can use a pull buoy to focus on arms and a kick board to do legs. A workout we used to do on swim team was you take a kick board and pull buoy and swim the first lap using a kickboard. Put the pull buoy on top of the kickboard for that first lap. Then come back doing arms. Next lap is using nothing. And then repeat. Kick, pull, swim, repeat. Do as many as you would like. I like the fact that it changes so you don't get as bored doing the laps. Haha

Also google "swim drills" you can prob find a couple that you might like. Feel free to message if you have questions or would like any tips. :smile: