Loosing inches, but not weight

Options
I know it's a good thing but greatly annoying! It's been a month, well just under, and I've lost 11 inches, but no pounds.
How do I move beyond just loosing inches?

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I know it's a good thing but greatly annoying! It's been a month, well just under, and I've lost 11 inches, but no pounds.
    How do I move beyond just loosing inches?

I fail to see the issue...

The scale is a poor indicator of progress. The tape measure, mirror, and how clothes fit is the best indicator.
  • sophieamhaley
    Options
    I agree, inches are far better to lose than weight :-)
  • ProfessorCurlz
    Options
    True :)
    But sites like this and other measures are motivated by pounds. So I didn't know if this is a phase or am I doing the wrong type of fitness. Will the next 11 inches mean no pounds lost?
    just asking....
    I am very grateful for the inches I gave lost.
  • bbcardlover
    bbcardlover Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The weight loss will be right around the corner if you keep it up. Inches go first, especially if you are strength training (which you should be). Stick to it, and be ready to be happy!
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Also any fat you are losing could be replaced by muscle which would make you lose inches but not weight. The nice thing is my gaining muscle you will burn more caloires on a daily bases making it easier to lose that fat.
  • 82jeh
    82jeh Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had the same "problem" for the past 3 months..... although people keep telling me I look like I've lost too much weight, when I really didn't lose ANY weight at all! lol! :) just bodyfat! :)

I was previously eating about .8-1 gram protein per pound of body weight that I *wanted* to be.... so I *want* to be 120 pounds, so I was eating around 100-120 grams of protein a day, then filling in the rest with fat and carbs.

I decreased the protein to about .5 grams/pound of body weight that I want to be and increased my carbs, kept the fat around the same ( I think its around 50 grams per day?)

also, I had to cut calories by about 500. I was eating 1800-2000 calories per day, now I try to keep it at 1200-1600, lots of fiber, and try to exercise 6 or 7 days a week. and finally I'm starting to lose weight, AND still losing body fat.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I try to maintain, but for now this is working. I have about 15 more pounds to lose and around 4-5% more bodyfat to lose.

good luck, and congrats!! :)
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I stopped weighing myself for 3 weeks. I was getting so mad that the scale wasn't moving. I was definitely losing inches though so I kept my chin up.

I woke up this morning feeling thinner and weighed myself. I was down 2 lbs. I feel like I'm going to like where this is headed :)

Keep it up!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    And this is a problem why??
  • p00ki3nb00
    p00ki3nb00 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Definitely know that feeling! Especially in weight-loss challenges, it can be very frustrating! But I learned to ignore the scale and work on what the tape measure says! I've gained more muscle and starting to see definition in my arms and legs, so thats a plus, focus on you and keep making positive choices! Everything will fall into place!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Also any fat you are losing could be replaced by muscle which would make you lose inches but not weight. The nice thing is my gaining muscle you will burn more caloires on a daily bases making it easier to lose that fat.

No, highly doubtful OP is gaining enough muscle to effect the scale.

Gaining muscle takes hours of lifting, eating at least maintenance calories, and testosterone.....
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    e8ebd06e-439b-4f69-ba5b-5727a7571ff1_cinderella.gif
  • mncdk
    mncdk Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    No, highly doubtful OP is gaining enough muscle to effect the scale.

Gaining muscle takes hours of lifting, eating at least maintenance calories, and testosterone.....
    Rookie gains.
    I'm eating at a deficit, and I am gaining muscle. I've gained mass and strength since I started, but the scale isn't moving yet.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Instead of showing your report on "weight" maybe do it on "measurement" and choose your problem areas such as thighs, booty, or even your arms. This way you don't even need to see the weight reprort.

I'm learning that though i'm losing I go thru a few days of plateau and it drives me nuts. But i'm learning too that my runs are faster and longer so the pounds don't matter nearly so much!
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Choose one:

* carry a scale around with you so that people can see that you're losing weight

* have friends & family noticing you look great & your clothes fit better than ever
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good problem to have. Maybe try adding HIIT routines to your work out schedule. I was having the same issue, in fact I started to put weight on because I was lifting rather heavy, I switched to more HIIT exercises and less weights, I have lost a lot of weight and my waist has gone down several inches as well I have toned up really well too.
    Just keep at it as long as your losing size then your doing something right.

Below are two links to pages on HIIT, also known as Tabata. It has been the difference maker for me. Of course check with your Dr. before doing anything new like this.

http://www.bodyhack.com/blog/5-fat-burning-hiit-workouts-for-any-fitness-level-204

http://www.shape.com/fitness/cardio/4-minute-fat-burning-miracle-workout

Good luck and best wishes.
    V/r,
    DW.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Choose one:

* carry a scale around with you so that people can see that you're losing weight

* have friends & family noticing you look great & your clothes fit better than ever

That is beautiful! So stealing this!
  • Aimee71B
    Aimee71B Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have the very same problem. The scale never moves, and it is REALLY starting to aggravate me. However I lost 19 inches in 6 weeks! So i've decided to hide my scale, and weight much less often, and hope the next time I step on its kind to me. Best of luck!
  • ProfessorCurlz
    Options
    Thanks to those who relate, and others for your input.
    Yes, P00ki3, it's hard to join challenges. Those seem to be incentives for me.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Why do you care? Look at my post in General Weight Loss entitled My meeting with the Sports Nutritionist. Who cares what you weigh? Your focus should be body composition not the dang scale. :)
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I've stopped caring about the scale. I keep an eye on my weight, but I care about my body fat % and strength.

Just eat enough protein (1g per pound of LBM) and lift heavy things (StrongLifts, Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for Women).

Also, weight loss is not linear. Patience is very important. :)