Gained 6 pounds in 8 days?

Options
So the first three of the eight days I did the 30DS Level 1. Slacked off during spring break and binged a bit. I checked my measurements and they are the same as before I started the 30DS. The last time I weighed myself (before starting the shred) I remember being around 130-131. Weighed myself today and I am 137.

????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????!!!!!!!!??????????????

I've also looked at other forums and have seen that some women have gained a little more than significantly during the first of the shred. Could this be related?

Replies

• acarmelo1
    acarmelo1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    What is 30DS level 1?

Just follow the MFP Plan, and you will do ok.-
  • fsucrack
    fsucrack Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Remember that muscle weighs more than fat... and if you have been consistant with the 30DS then you are gaining muscle
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    When you say you binged, just how much did you binge? You would have to consume something like 200,000+ calories to put on fat in that much time. It seems unlikely.
    What is 30DS level 1?

30 Day Shred. It's an exercise DVD put together by Jillian Michaels.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Remember that muscle weighs more than fat... and if you have been consistant with the 30DS then you are gaining muscle

She didn't gain muscle. It's mostly water retention from working out and possibly from your monthly cycle. You may have added a pound of fat and several pounds of waste from the binge. Make sure you are being accurate logging your food. Drink more water to help reduce water retention.
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    First time i did 30DS i gained about 3-4lbs throughout the whole thing but definitly looked and felt slimmer. It is so frustrating when the scale says otherwise.
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    You haven't gained 6 pounds in 8 days, it will be water retention. Your muscles retain water to repair themselves, I always jump up a couple of pounds when I'm working out hard.
    Drink plenty of water, keep an eye on your sodium intake and it will drop back off in a couple of days.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    First of all, you did not gain significant muscle in 8 days - sorry :P
    BUT, you are probably retaining some water for muscle repair.
    AND, it would be bordering on impossible to gain 6 lbs of fat in 8 days - that would be 2625 calories a day above maintenance
    PLUS, a million other factors like time of day, what you ate and drank, and hormones can affect weight gain.
    Just keep doing what you are doing -and give it time. If you eat at a deficit, you will lose weight.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    You're not gaining muscle THAT fast. There's a lot of daily variation with weight. I can weigh more than 5 pounds different within a single day, but it has more to do with how much I just "input" (ate, drank, wore) or "output". When you first increase exercise, and I'm told this is especially true for intensive exercise, your muscles hold water -- it's not "true body" weight. I doubt you ate the approximately 21,000 extra calories that would be needed to add 6 pounds of weight.

(Note: That's 21,000 of EXTRA calories above and beyond what you're using to gain that much.)
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Any significant exercise change will usually cause a lot of water retention. Sore muscles and water retention go hand in hand. The bigger the sore muscle (i.e., quads), the more water retained. Usually takes a couple-three days after the physical soreness is gone before the water weight completely drops off.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain that much in 8 days. Its most likely just water retention and will even itself out.
  • fashi0nkilla
    fashi0nkilla Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I don't think you gained 6 pounds of muscle doing 30DS. Did you drink while on SB or eat a lot of salty foods? That could lead to water weight.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    It is common to gain some weight when starting a new exercise routine. Your muscles need increased amounts of glycogen to fuel them for the new activity, and increase their glycogen stores. Water is also stored with the glycogen, so a brief bump up on the scale is expected. It usually goes away after a few days.

You do not have your diary open, but if you have not been logging your food, you could be eating more than you think, especially when Spring Break is involved. You need a deficit to lose weight - if you don't have it, the scale isn't going to move. You could be retaining water from the foods you ate during break/binges as well. Without being able to see your diary, we're all just kind of guessing as to what is going on.
  • starsandowls
    starsandowls Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It's probably mostly water. If you ate a lot of salt, were at that very special time in your cycle, and maybe started building some muscle, that could account for a lot of water weight.

I did that DVD a few times, years ago. There's the possibility of doing some decent strength training in there. You might want to do it every other day to give your body a chance to rest and recover. It might help you lose some of that water weight to take a rest day.

I'm not sure how a previous poster is coming up with 200,000+ calories... it's more like 21,000 for six pounds of fat. Maybe an extra zero?
  • timc_73
    timc_73 Posts: 6
    Options
    Water retention and inflammation can account for that. You're not going to gain anywhere near that much muscle or fat in 8 days (nor will you likely lose that much, either).