Running motivation

Options
I was a pretty avid runner until early last year, and I can't seem to get up the motivation to include it back in my workout arsenal. Come on everyone, how do you stay motivated to run and how do you get that motivation back after you've lost it? It's such a good stress reliever/burn!

Replies

• mish26
    mish26 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Maybe sign up for a race? Find a training plan that you need to stick to? I'm training for a half marathon and when I don't want to run I just imagine how good it will be to finish that race! Works every time.
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I started doing Couch to 5k again, but running faster and with increasing inclines each day of the week. I like that I have a specific challenge and a goal to look forward to. It's definitely motivated me to get my running shoes on again! There are iphone apps that guide you through it, and you can listen to your own music at the same time. I also saw that there is a 5k to 10k bridge, if that's more of your level. :)
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I sign up for a race. I just signed up for my next half in Feb! Last year I completed 9 races...my goal for 2011 is to do more! Good luck!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    signing up for a race is GREAT motivation...so is buying new shoes :-)

If its hard to actually start running just say you are going to run for 5 minutes and you can turn around and come home if you arent feeling it...ive found that once i'm actually outside running I dont want to stop!

Good luck!
  • Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Options
    signing up for a race is GREAT motivation...so is buying new shoes :-)

If its hard to actually start running just say you are going to run for 5 minutes and you can turn around and come home if you arent feeling it...ive found that once i'm actually outside running I dont want to stop!

Good luck!

Great tips...esp. this one...some how when I give myself options that always helps.
  • Concordborn
    Concordborn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Definitely sign up for a race, I find that I can't really keep up my running fitness when I'm not training for some run. Also find some routes that you really dig so you aren't dreading running past something. I find even in the winter I prefer running outside (can't staaand treadmills) and as a bonus it's usually less crowed.