Sick and hating it!

So I've been in the gym every single day since january 21st and now I'm sick and under the weather. But what I'm most sick about is the fact that this is taking me away from the gym. Yes I realize it's only one day missed and perhaps my body does need a rest but at the same time my body has been resting for 39 years now. It has taken me so long to get into this mind set to get up off my *kitten* and do something about this weight and now that I'm finally doing it this happens. I just have a fear that even one day missed could possibly lead to another day missed and take me off my game. So far i've lost 26 pounds and just dont wanna fall backwards like I've done in the past. This my be the wrong forum that I'm posting in and if so my apologies. Just venting!

Replies

• michelefm1l
    michelefm1l Posts: 31 Member
    I can totally relate to you because I just started this in February and ended up sick for the last week!! I was getting into the habit of going to the gym and all of that came to a stop for a few days. To make things worse, I was put on a steroid for a respiratory problem and that just escalated the hunger and cravings! Just rest up, try to eat healthy and keep telling yourself that this is NOT an excuse to get out of the gym habit. Frustrating, I know.
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    I feel your pain. I just got over something head cold/clogged sinus blah blah blah that took me away from the gym for 5 days. Today was my 1st day back and It felt great. Maybe your body just needs a little break before it come back with a vengeance!
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    I just got over 2 weeks of bronchitis. I tried to go during those two weeks and made it about a half an hour and then had to stop because I felt so dizzy I thought I would throw up. I am now over it, and still can't do my normal routine. I am just trying to be careful about my calories, and take it easy and getting back into the swing slowly.

Good luck and feel better
  • AstroNatx
    AstroNatx Posts: 20
    That's a real pain in the *kitten*, I know. But don't let it stop you at all. When you're better, get back to that gym. Remember, you're changing your lifestyle and you're gunna be sick occasionally so deal with it and then just move on. Don't have the "**** it" attitude cause that's what I've struggled with in the past and it only makes things worse. I was on a stupid shakes diet a couple of years ago and in work I picked up a piece of bread and ate it. As soon as it happened I was like damn... now there's no point. "**** it". And I put on more weight than I'd lost. OVER A PIECE OF FRIGGIN BREAD. So have a couple of your days of rest, get better and then get back to that gym!
  • ReneeIsReady
    ReneeIsReady Posts: 97 Member
    Thanks all for the kind words I needed it:smile:
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    I have an immune system issue so I'm more than familiar with getting sick but all I can do is work through it, get well enough, and then get back to the gym. It really sucks when I get into a solid routine and have to stop for a few days or a week. Though at the end of the day I just get back at it and it's all good.

You can do it, you know you can, just let the sickness end and in 6 months it will be meaningless!
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    So I've been in the gym every single day since january 21st and now I'm sick and under the weather. But what I'm most sick about is the fact that this is taking me away from the gym. Yes I realize it's only one day missed and perhaps my body does need a rest but at the same time my body has been resting for 39 years now. It has taken me so long to get into this mind set to get up off my *kitten* and do something about this weight and now that I'm finally doing it this happens. I just have a fear that even one day missed could possibly lead to another day missed and take me off my game. So far i've lost 26 pounds and just dont wanna fall backwards like I've done in the past. This my be the wrong forum that I'm posting in and if so my apologies. Just venting!

This concerns me, and I'll tell you why, but please know that it comes from a place of caring. Going to the gym everyday isn't healthy either. It reminds me of my dad, and his all-or-nothing attitude toward attempts to improve his health and fitness. His inability to approach it in a sustainable way resulted in advanced dementia and diapers by 58. It didn't have to be that way.

A bare minimum of one rest day per week is recommended for proper recovery, but 2-3 is also healthy. It doesn't have to be a mandatory part of your daily routine to be a staple of your lifestyle. Please reevaluate, and limit yourself to what's healthy.
  • ReneeIsReady
    ReneeIsReady Posts: 97 Member

This concerns me, and I'll tell you why, but please know that it comes from a place of caring. Going to the gym everyday isn't healthy either. It reminds me of my dad, and his all-or-nothing attitude toward attempts to improve his health and fitness. His inability to approach it in a sustainable way resulted in advanced dementia and diapers by 58. It didn't have to be that way.

A bare minimum of one rest day per week is recommended for proper recovery, but 2-3 is also healthy. It doesn't have to be a mandatory part of your daily routine to be a staple of your lifestyle. Please reevaluate, and limit yourself to what's healthy.

Hi Athena Ty for your reply and concern:-)
    I realize you are right and maybe I should start doing at least one rest day per week for right now. I guess I just felt like I needed to make up for all the lost time that I spent for years just sitting around being lazy and gaining a ton of weight. I'm not %100 better but I must admit that after taking the day off yesterday from the gym my body does feel a tad bit better. A rest day Is definetly something I need to, and will put in place.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member

Hi Athena Ty for your reply and concern:-)
    I realize you are right and maybe I should start doing at least one rest day per week for right now. I guess I just felt like I needed to make up for all the lost time that I spent for years just sitting around being lazy and gaining a ton of weight. I'm not %100 better but I must admit that after taking the day off yesterday from the gym my body does feel a tad bit better. A rest day Is definetly something I need to, and will put in place.

Going to the gym everyday isn't wrong. It's more about what you are doing there. Heavy lifting everyday? Not a good idea because muscle needs time to repair. Cardio for an hour or so? Why not? Our bodies were meant to move. People go for daily walks/jogs/runs because they enjoy it and how it makes them feel.

That said I completely agree with the "all-or nothing attitude" being a bad approach. I have an aunt who when she was my age worked out 4 hours a day every day and then stopped practically cold turkey and then immediately blimpped up.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    overtraining might be making you run-down and more open to infections/bugs etc.?

try having at least one day (preferably 2) off a week.

get well soon.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Remember this ain't a sprint, it's a marathon. Weight loss (and weight maintenance) have to fit into real life. Treat this as an opportunity to develop a habit of what to do when you have to miss workouts, that way the next time life pops up a joker you'll just shrug and know what to do.

Good luck on the journey!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,502 Member
    In just to say that I don't think people who get sick are lovin' it.:laugh:

Life happens. Here's the positive.................getting sick builds immunity. Life happens. A day or even a week away from the gym isn't going to derail you. What derails people in weight loss is their eating habits.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition