Working Moms AND Workouts?!?

Options
Hoping some of you fellow working moms ( and dads too) can shed some light on how to do it... You know... Squeeze in a workout between getting off work and dinner, homework, bathtime, bedtime, you name it!!

I work until 5:30 every night. When I'm off, I want to get home to my son. I don't want to go spend another hour away from him at the gym and have a couple hours to squeeze in the nightly routine. So question is... What do you do? I tried Insanity for a few days, I loved the whole 45 minutes a day thing, but I wasn't in love with the program. Any suggestions to balance Super Mommy-dom and workouts??

Replies

• teaparty75
    teaparty75 Posts: 170
    Options
    my kid is a lil older BUT i still enjoy our time in the mornings - i get up and go to the gym before i take her to school , luckily she's old enough to get herself dressed and fed by the time i get back - this way after work my evening is free
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    You don't need to workout an hour. Do Interval training, and you can get a great workout in much less. I rarely workout more than 30 minutes including warm-up. Cool-down adds another 3-5 minutes. I have done longer versions of workouts like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgdUCI07fkE
  • scoutli
    scoutli Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Sorry, Insanity (or some other program less than 60 minutes) is my only advice. Driving to and from the gym, waiting for machines--what a waste of precious time! I do it while my toddler is napping or in her pack and play (in the room with me) or when my oldest is at preschool (or coloring or watching a cartoon. 45 minutes is ok with me if it's the only way I can stay fit.). Half the time she grabs a glass of water and exercises with me. Thank goodness for Insanity. I'd be SOL otherwise!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I don't like running as soon as I get home from work either. It makes for a mad dash for dinner and I just want to unwind. There's 24 hours in a day - wake up before everyone else is up ;)
  • RubyLou25
    RubyLou25 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It's hard. My daughter is 7. I wake up everyday at 6 and get her up for the bus at 6:30. I go to school full time, so on days o don't have to be there until 10 I run and breaks between school and work, I go to the gym and lift. I always try to workout sround her schedule so I run sunday nights when she has girl scouts or take advantage of the time when a family member takes her for a bit.
  • MomOfRose
    MomOfRose Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom to one 9yo. We leave the house at 7AM, I get to work at 8AM, leave work at 5PM, pick her up around 6PM and we're home around 6:30PM. As soon as we get home, I change and work out. I alternate between weight lifting and running. If it's a running day, I'll use my rice cooker to cook rice, veggies and meat while we're out. If it's a weight day, I cook between sets. Dinner's usually ready by around 7:15PM.

It's doable. If you've got a slow cooker (or can get one), that can help to eliminate a lot of cooking time while you're at work and working out.

It's not easy, but there's definitely room.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I'm an ICU doctor with fairly frequent weekend and overnight call, but I find a way. Usually at 5:00 AM when work and family cannot interfere. Sometimes a quickie in the middle of the day. Sometimes I just have to pop the kid in the jogging stroller and take him with me.

Find a way.
  • AliGilbreath
    AliGilbreath Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I follow Focus T25, and I highly recommend it. I work full time 2nd shift and have 2 kids, and I still make time for me, even if I am working out at 12:00am. It's only 25 minutes a day, and you can do it while your kids are home, I prefer to do it when they go to bed so I am not interrupted. I've lost 11 lbs in 10 weeks doing T25 everyday for 25 min. and eating a healthy diet. I just started my second round of it. I love it. I hope this helps.
  • hsavas
    hsavas Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i have mommy guilt from evening workouts. I choose to workout in the morning, whether I sneak off to the gym/run around the block or do a DVD in the living room. Mornings work best if you can do it. the kids don't even know you were doing it.
  • annekgreco
    Options
    I started doing Daily Burn. It's $10/month and you can get it on your phone, iPad, computer. They have all kinds of workouts, even 15 minute ones for those days you REALLY have no time. I am a single mom with two sons, ages 7 and 9 and a few times a week I even get them to join me. There is every kind of workout from yoga and Pilates to hip hop and kickboxing and intervals ranging from 15 minutes to an hour and at all different levels. It has changed my life!!! I could never get to the gym and this works way better!
  • Angela937
    Angela937 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Do ten minute workout through out the day, to add up to an hour. Go to the gym when you are able to, but don't miss out seeing your kids either. Taking a break at work? Walk for ten minutes, go up and down the stairs for ten minutes, do some aerobics in the morning while breakfast is cooking, take your kids out for a walk after school to get some fresh air!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Why not do some kind of sport with them? Whether it's kicking a ball around or something more formal and competitive.
  • Angela937
    Options
    That's a good idea too!!
  • Thatsmywrapgirl
    Options
    You guys are all super helpful!! Gives me a lot of ideas! My son is 8 so there ARE things that he and I could go do together, but it seems like when I try to do my workout with him, it turns into something too leisurely to achieve a heavy calorie burn... I:E I took him for what I thought would be a fun bike ride last week and ten minutes in, his bike started doing something weird, then his legs got tired and we ended up walking our bikes home. It was definitely a facepalm moment.

As much as I hate the idea... Perhaps getting up a little earlier and just getting it done, is the answer. I'm going to break up with sleep and can't even comfort myself with ice cream! Too many calories...

I've seen that T25 and I'm really interested, that's right in my "time frame!"
  • Angela937
    Options
    Walking is still a good workout as long as you get your heart rate up. Make it a game, who can get there faster without running? Does he like sports? Play soccer, football, basketball, something that keeps you moving, even if you aren't any good at it!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    We belong to a gym with daycare. I lift once on weekdays for 45min, after a quick dinner. So about 7ish to 8ish, kids are home and in bed by 8:30. I also go and lift on weekends. On days my husband is home and can take the kids to school, I might go to the 5:25am spin class. I also have a stair climber in my basement, on which I might get in 45-60 min on week days after the kids go to bed. And then add in the occasional mountain bike ride when my husband is off on weekends, or evenings in the summer.
  • jussy123
    jussy123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 in the morning, have a light breakfast, organize myself for the day, and work out from 5 to 5:45 in our home gym. Early works for me!
  • Thatsmywrapgirl
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the input!!
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I get my workouts in at 5 AM. I use the videos from Fitnessblender and they have been pretty effective :-)
  • work2bafitbadass
    work2bafitbadass Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kiddies and work full time... I get up at 5 am and do my workout before everyone else is up and nothing can get in the way or take priority! It's the only way in this crazy house! lol :wink: