Ketogenic Diets for Insulin Resistance

Options
I would like to start this posting off by saying that I am participating in this diet because I have polycystic ovary syndrome and have been insulin resistant for twenty plus years. I have never been able to conceive, even after medical treatment and after considerable research I have decided that my diet may be the only way to get my hormones regulated.

Having said all of that, I have been eating low-carb for about two and a half weeks now and after a week or so of generally feeling lethargic and icky (for lack of a better word), I am finally feeling much better! Initially, I was virtually eating everything in sight to help stave off feelings of nausea and carbohydrate cravings but now I have been able to considerably cut back on my calorie intake, while incorporating more vegetables and healthier choices and still maintaining a goal of 20g carbohydrates a day. I am not experiencing record-setting weight losses every week but manage to lose anywhere from one to two pounds a week.

Has anyone else experienced positive results from this diet? Namely, restoring menstruation, reducing cholesterol, etc.?

Replies

• Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I lowered my carbs because i am not ready to go that low as you, but I do notice that my hunger is less, AND the best part - I do NOT crave the sweets and things that got me fat. I'm eating about 100 carbs a day and am losing about 2 pounds - 3 pounds a week. I've only been doing this one month and I lost 11 pounds, not sure if thats water weight or fat. I'm starting to slow down a bit to just 1-2 pounds a week eating about 100 carbs a day.. I have some other things to improve my eating, but im doing well for a beginner.
  • PinkMartiniPls
    Options
    That's great!

As far as I know, it's an all-or-nothing type of situation for the ketosis diet. It hasn't been hard at all staying away from the carbs, as I eat when I'm hungry and don't need to count calories.

The carbs that I do eat come from fresh vegetables and the large salads that I eat for dinner every night along with some type of protein. When you fill your meals with good food, you won't even miss the carbs.