Advise on losing 15 lbs in 3 months

Options
I am 160. My goal is to be 145 by June. My diet will be seriously starting in April because I am going to be out of town for 2 weeks this month and I'm not sure what my circumstances will be during that time. I will need to lose 5 pounds a month in order to reach this goal. Is this realistic?? Can you guys offer me any tips on how I can be sure to reach my goal?

Replies

• mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    It is hard, but not unrealistic. I lost 10 lbs in 2 months. But I've also lost a lot more inches and feel great in my clothes.

Make that your goal for now ... but after you lose 10lbs...i'd see how you feel and look.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    do you want to lose it by june and then gain it back in the summer?

Losing 1 1/4 lb a week is not recommended for someone with 15 to lose...and you will lose fat and muscle, be hungry and chances are you will not reach goal due to hunger.
  • jade_222
    jade_222 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started on MFP 40 days ago today and I started at 160, I'm now 150 and plan on being 137-130 by June. To lose the weight I have stayed just under my calorie goal (1200) when not exercising, otherwise I eat back my exercise calories, so usually about 1500 a day. For exercise I'm doing the Insanity program, it's tough but amazing results. I also walk on my two 15 minute breaks at work and on my lunch I run or walk for 30 minutes. I'm 5'3.5". This seems to be working for me, so I hope it helps you out!
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I would focus less on losing the weight and more on building lean muscle :D
    It seems like your goal is aesthetic, and I think that would serve you better than worrying about the scale.
  • katarinadaly
    Options
    Hi, I started on MFP 40 days ago today and I started at 160, I'm now 150 and plan on being 137-130 by June. To lose the weight I have stayed just under my calorie goal (1200) when not exercising, otherwise I eat back my exercise calories, so usually about 1500 a day. For exercise I'm doing the Insanity program, it's tough but amazing results. I also walk on my two 15 minute breaks at work and on my lunch I run or walk for 30 minutes. I'm 5'3.5". This seems to be working for me, so I hope it helps you out!

Thank you this was very motivating to me! This was exactly my plan. And to the others; I do not plan on doing this in a unhealthy way at all. & I'm not worried about the scale entirely. I just want to feel good again by swim suit season.
  • ojosh089
    ojosh089 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am also doing the Insanity program and that really kicks my butt. So far I've lost around 8 lbs. As for meals I stay above 1500 since the Instanity program i burn around 550-600cal per workout (according to HRM). It has been working out great. Losing inches and along with the weight and I'm getting more definition. But I would say take your time and do as sezxystef says. You don't want to eat too little and lose muscle. Plus everything starts in the kitchen, which is the most important part. Make sure to get enough nutrients and drink plenty of water.
  • jade_222
    jade_222 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    No problem. I think it can be done. I've been really healthy, healthier than I have been in a long time. Just focus on the proper foods to fuel your body and you'll be good to go!
  • katarinadaly
    Options
    Thank you guys! I'm really hoping I can do it, but I'm sure even if I'm not at my goal I'll be feeling a lot better than I am now :)