Sore Achilles Tendon

Options
Hi! So I've been doing the 30 Day Shred, and just finished Level 1. On Day 10 I noticed my right Achilles tendon and knee were just a bit sore. I decided that instead of powering on, I'd take yesterday as a rest day inbetween levels. Today my Achilles is still sore, it feels like my ankle needs to pop a little, or like the tendon is a little tight. My question is, should I stay away from the Shred, or can I continue? I don't want to aggravate an injury, but I din't want to stop with the workouts either.

Also, what could have caused this? The exercise had been going great, endurance building, and then all of a sudden, soreness. It's annoying.

Replies

• uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    The last thing you want to do is damage that muscle. Go easy on it and if it doesn't feel better soon see a doctor.
  • mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thanks... I know it's a bad one to hurt... I'm just sort of confused on how it even happened! I must not have been warmed up enough, or the room was too cool or something.
  • mistyladidah
    Options
    No other advice? Can I work out or not? If I did of course I'd be gentle on it.
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    No other advice? Can I work out or not? If I did of course I'd be gentle on it.

I'm not really sure.... You for sure don't want to do any more damage... If you still work ok then is recommend at least right wrapping that part of the ankle and leg...

I have stress fractures in both feet and I have refused to quit working out... So I so weights and then when I insist on walking or doing my step aerobics I wear compression socks and make sure to tie my shoes tight for support... But on days it hurts badly I don't push it...
  • maj1958
    maj1958 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am just reaching the one year point after having surgery to repair my Achilles. Prior to the surgery I was unable to work out for nine months. I too had pain in my Achilles I pretty much ignored it until it became so painful I couldn't work out. By the time I got an MRI I had so much damage and scar tissue that I had to have a tendon transfer. Do Not push it. Tendons take a long time to heal and it sucks when that tendon is your Achilles. Rest it. Quick test. If you can't do a single toe raise on your sore foot see a doc ASAP because you might have a rupture. It could just be tendinitis but why take a chance.
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I would take it easy until it feels better

I would just soak it in epsom salt daily & wrap it.

If it continues then I would get acupuncture
  • mistyladidah
    Options
    :( I have full mobility, it's just the teeniest bit sore when I flex my foot and roll it to the outside.

I will take a break and return to exercise when it feels better.

Sad panda is sad.
  • amysgottadothisthang
    amysgottadothisthang Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I tweaked my Achilles several months ago. I had pain and some swelling .... my Dr said to baby it for a week. I stuck to arms and abs and floor work for my legs and it was better in no time :)
  • staciva
    staciva Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Rest. Anti-inflammatories (Advil/Motrin or Aleve as directed on the bottle and take with food to protect your stomach. Or good old ice 15-20 minutes on with something between your skin and source a couple times a day). Using a neoprene sleeve or support may help. If it is truly the Achilles, it should hurt more going up and down stairs. If that is the case, see your doctor because you may have a partial tear (not a complete tear or rupture) which can progress to a tear. The only way to find out for sure of a tear is an MRI. It could also be an ankle strain (ligament issue). Same treatment as above. Could be due to previously injured ligament, bad shoes, working out on a hard surface (I.e. concrete), or plain overuse. Listen to your body. It will tell you what you can do. You can try doing all low impact - no jumping or plyometrics - which may allow you to continue workouts, but if low impact hurts, stop and rest at least a week then start back with low impact. Sprains/strains take 6-8 weeks to fully heal. If you aren't better in 2 weeks, see your doc. Good luck!
  • mistyladidah
    Options
    It does indeed hurt going down stairs. It just doesn't hurt much. I'm glad I asked, I really wouldn't want to tear it.
  • FarTooJones
    Options
    I aggrevated mine back in december, couldnt even hardly flex my heel to walk. Stopped working out a week and thought it was better but reaggrevated it. Had to rest it over a month before it healed. So have a lot of patience, and once your all healed make it a point to stretch that area more.
  • mistyladidah
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!

This is so frustrating! The last thing I need is an injury, I have a five-year-old and a 4-month-old to take care of.