Mt. Dew VS Diet Coke - throw in adipex

Options
I've been trying to quit the Dew for years. I've had at least 2 bottles (in the beginning since I was 13) and up to 5 bottles (within the last few years, I'm 38 now) per day. I'm aware of the health risks and yes,my teeth are horrible. My weight loss journey has suffered tremendously because of not being able to give it up completely. In the past few months, I've been having one or 2 a day (a big change from what I wanted to have). I've only lost about 6 lbs and a few inches in 2 months. Very frustrating, although I know I've went over in my calories several times due to the soda.
Anyhow, for the last 3 or 4 days, it's been all Diet Coke, no Dew. Oddly enough, I've had NO headaches or withdrawal of any kind. (probably due to the sugar) I've never been able to do this before, so bear with me here. I'm sure this is a crazy question, but my goal was to find something to get me off the dew, just for now, then getting off that (the diet coke), thinking it would be easier to give up something I haven't been stuck on for years, I'm sure the DCoke must be addicting as well, but I'm hoping that by the end of this week I can take it or leave it.
Now for the question.... Is diet coke going to hinder my weight loss as well, being that there are no calories in it? I'm just wondering what to expect. Are you able to lose weight while drinking 3 or so bottles of dt coke a day? Frankly, I'd rather keep it, I've NEVER in my life had to go without pop all together. I haven't drank anything other than dew in years until I started this in January of this year. I can't even remember drinking ANYTHING other than dew, no milk, water fountain sips, NOTHING. I've taken a bottle of dew everywhere I went for so long, I'm almost lost without it now.
I'm getting a prescription next week for adipex, something I've taken years ago that did me wonders without the mt. dew. I remember it making me so thirsty for water (which I hate). I have no problem with exercise, and I'm willing to do everything I can to cut out the need for soda all together. I'm hoping to have some positive results, because I'm sure it was the dew constantly making me go a bit over in my calories every few days. Any tips, advice, views, etc. on the soda switch or adipex is much appreciated. :)

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I usually have 1-2 diet sodas a day. Usually diet. Mt. Dew. It has never hindered my weight loss.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Diet coke has no calories and shouldn't negatively affect your weight loss. The headaches actually come from caffeine withdrawal. Since diet coke has caffeine in it, you're not experiencing that withdrawal. But if you plan to stop soda altogether, I'd suggest gradually switching some of the diet coke to the caffeine free version or something like diet sprite or root beer in order to gradually reduce the amount each day instead of going cold turkey.

There are many flavored waters, Cyrstal Lite and the like which could help you get used to drinking more water.
  • truetarot1988
    truetarot1988 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you both very much! Crossing my fingers to get off the dew, but gonna keep the diet coke, the caffeine is the only thing that keeps me awake! :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,958 Member
    Options
    Diet coke has no calories, so I'm not quite sure what your asking.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I was having coke every day for two years and switched to having Zevia… 0cal beverage with just some sugar alcohol and maybe 1g of carbs. I then switched to carbonated water with 100% fruit juice in it. Eventually was able to kick the habit and now I enjoy it once in a while. Cravings are all under control and I don't want it like I used to. Good luck!! Try to slowly reduce your amount perhaps and go from there. Sometimes cold turkey is hard. Now when I crave something juice or pop related… I normally have a blueberry tea bag with stevia, ice and water. Satisfies without the guilt.