cheating advice please?

Options
I have been losing weight since August 17 of this year, and I've lost about 40 pounds so far! :) I haven't cheated at all. I've gotten through birthday parties, Thanksgiving and just lots of events that you would normally cheat for..and I haven't. Obviously Christmas is coming up and I'm starting to think about cheating a little bit? It's been a long time since i've had anything besides diet acceptable food, but I just would like some thoughts on whether I should just stick it out or allow myself the day to cheat? I've been trying to lose weight since 2007 when I had my daughter, and I feel like I'm finally getting it right. I'm just afraid one day of cheating will lead to more. Anyway...any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated!

Replies

• sharonuk10
    Options
    This is how I look at it.. unless you plan on NEVER having sweets, treats, and cakes etc for the rest of your life. You need to find a way to work this into your daily intake on occasion. The key is moderation. I do not have so called cheat days. I do however have treats and eating out and do not freak over it at all. This is a lifestyle change for me not a diet. And there is no way I am going the rest of my life without those occasional indulgences.!! So my opinion.. have a treat. after all you only live once. My 2 p worth!!
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    If I want something, I eat it. 95% of the time I eat healthy and modify things that I normally would have eaten to make them healthier, but if there is something you really want, have a small portion. If I have calories for something, I eat it. If I don't then I don't. You could also throw in an extra workout if you want, to get the extra calories. Another thing I do is ask myself..is this 100 calorie treat worth 10 min on the elliptical??? If so, then eat it! lol
  • Fliegenschwein
    Fliegenschwein Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    This is how I look at it.. unless you plan on NEVER having sweets, treats, and cakes etc for the rest of your life. You need to find a way to work this into your daily intake on occasion. The key is moderation. I do not have so called cheat days. I do however have treats and eating out and do not freak over it at all. This is a lifestyle change for me not a diet. And there is no way I am going the rest of my life without those occasional indulgences.!! So my opinion.. have a treat. after all you only live once. My 2 p worth!!

Exactly this.

Whatever you do needs to be sustainable permanently and that will inevitably include the odd days where you eat what you wouldnt normally eat.

I know for a fact that my diary will be closed on Christmas day, and if I gain a pound then so be it, because I know it'll be coming back off again a few days later.:drinker:
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on the weight you've lost so far. I think you should definitely enjoy Christmas and the once a year foods that will be available. If you think about it, people who are a healthy weight did not get fat because they ate at Christmas! As a person who has reached my goal, I will eat at Christmas, but will eat a little something before I attend any function. I go to my sister's house every year and let me tell you, the food is delicious and not at all diet. However, I make sure that I eat breakfast before I go. I also make decisions before hand about what foods I will consume and what one's I won't. Example: I will eat shrimp cocktail, but not the chips and dip. I will eat the prime rib, but not the home made egg nog made with cream and vanilla icecream. Why not? because I don't want to waste my calories on "liquid". Although the prime rib is not the healthiest choice, it is Christmas and I don't want to be deprived! I will also eat desserts, but not huge glutonous pieces. The old saying"everything in moderation" definitely applies here. Good luck and please enjoy the holidays!
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree with both of these folks. Plan for it. I've eaten apple pie, hamburgers etc while on my journey. I just didn't eat the whole apple pie or two burgers. Wait, I did it two burgers once, though I hiked the next day. One thing I know will happen, you will get full faster because of the discipline you've acquired.

Enjoy the party, enjoy it in moderation.
  • tcarole
    tcarole Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of motivation from doing a workout and seeing how many calories that burns. Do you exercise? If not, you should. If you do, add some intensity to it and do it a little longer on a day you know you might want to eat a little more. Then, enter your workout and see that your daily calorie budget goes up a little. Be honest and lean conservative, then enjoy a treat in a small quantity. But stay in your budget and you will continue to lose weight.

Congrats on the weight loss so far!
  • OGFleabag
    OGFleabag Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I would say that is totally up to you. How do you feel about it? I know for me, on the holidays, I just make 1 plate, have SMALL portions of whatever I want, and just exercise more that week to help offset it. usually it's very difficult to accurately log holiday foods when you don't know what was put in them. If there are some healthier options, like vegetables, and you can stick with those if you feel more comfortable. I know it is hard, but sounds like you are doing an awesome job so far though!
  • shellydd
    shellydd Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    excellant advice!! i just need to figure out how to take this advice myself. you're not alone with this situation. i'm almost afraid now to eat anything beyond what i've packed for meals. i don't know how i'm going to react at a party either. what i am going to try and do is stay disciplined and exercise!!! i'm still working on that too!! it's a process....stick to it and forgive yourself....moderation!!!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options

Ditto!
  • patio1313
    patio1313 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    MODERATION MODERATION MODERATION...There is no reason you should feel like you can't have certain things. I felt that way and then I met with a clinical nutritionist and she told me, "I WILL NEVER tell you that there are certain foods you CANNOT eat."

And she just basically went on to say that have those items in moderation, and remember that LIFE HAPPENS. Just don't make it a habit and one day every so often should not big a big deal. That is how I look at it. Once you feel you are denying yourself, there is a better chance at getting frustrated and giving up.
  • msemejuru
    Options
    If you feel like you are going to binge, start with a treat or a cheat meal instead of a full cheat day. I didn't used to be able to have an cheat day without binging for the entire weekend. Now I can go out to eat with my family and still get back on track for the next meal. But this is a lifestyle so plan for cheats and fit them into your routine.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    First of all, I find your self-control to be absolutely amazing! I am good on a daily basis, but when it comes to special occasions, I have no control at all. Pat on the back for that!

However, I have to agree with several other posters. It's just not realistic to think that you'll go the rest of your life without some of your favorite, sinful foods. If you like structure, then schedule a treat snack/dinner every once in a while. Or let yourself cheat a little at a special occasion.

If you don't allow yourself the privledge of doing this, you're going to eventually binge eat. And I know for me, binge eating becomes a vicious cyle: binge eat, feel guilty, eat more, give up. And you definately don't want to take a step backwards in your amazing progress.

Shannon
  • imagin002
    Options
    thanks for all the great advice! Sometimes I just need verification that i'm not rationalizing!
  • WhitneyW78
    WhitneyW78 Posts: 186 Member
    Options

This all the way and back... Diets do not work... I've been on a diet since I was 7 years old. My method now... eat what I want (in moderation) staying within my calorie limit. If I tell myself you can't have that... when I finally get my hands on it, I'll most likely binge on it. This eating in moderation method is the only thing that has ever worked for me...

Though, it might not work for everyone. You have to find what's right for your body.
  • EmpressB
    EmpressB Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You should be able to work whatever you want into your daily calories...so that it is not a "cheat". I think that even if it isn't your regular healthy food, it's not too bad so long as it is within your calorie allowance and you don't do it daily.

I have found that as my eating becomes a habit, I actually can't really bring myself to go overboard even if I want to. I don't know your calorie allotment, but if it is for example 1600 like mine, I find that I can pretty much have what I want. If it is lower then I would just for that day give myself 200 more calories or set a set number that you won't go over, then enjoy yourself. I don't think it will turn into some all out binge, esp if you still log and are accountable. I think one cheat turns into many more easily when you don't log and kind of assume "this is not too bad" or make up the calories in your mind, lose track and just eat mindlessly. So long as you log, I think it makes you cognizant of if you're going over and by how much so you're less likely to go over by like 500 plus calories because seeing those numbers and logging it yourself really does make you feel guilty lol.